Peach Cream Trifle

Nameless Story

Author's Notes. Hi, I’m back from the dead after five years. Also for some reason, I’m kind of dumb now so I can’t think of anymore edgy and cringy titles like what I used from my past chapters so uhh have fun with generic but still cringy titles! Yay! - Elyse

- - - - -

Chapter Seven – Peach Cream Trifle

Few hours have passed since I played the violin for Ren’s grandmother and we’re walking to a café that JR recommends. We walked in silence. JR and Ren in front of me and Minhyun casually walk beside me.

I sighed. I looked at Ren and a series of questions and concerns gobbled up my thoughts. Honestly, I did it on impulse. I did it to help a friend out but I did not expect that sort of reaction from his grandmother. Why did she react like that? Why does it have to be me? I wanted to know but I don’t want to pry on business that is clearly not mine. Ren doesn’t owe me an explanation but I would sure like one.

“Did Ren tell you anything about her grandmother?” I heard Minhyun speak beside me and interrupt my thoughts.

“Eh? N-No” I said in a startled voice.

Minhyun got closer to me. I was slightly uncomfortable since I recently just met him but I kept my cool. If JR and Ren are okay with him being around then maybe they are friends, so that means I can at least sort of trust him right? But then I realized he was only getting closer to me to say something JR and Ren wouldn’t hear.

“She is going away soon” he whispered

“E-Eh?!” I yelled, again in a startled voice

He quietly hushed me and walked a bit slower so there would be a gap between JR, Ren and Minhyung and I. He began talking in a small soft voice. He began by telling me how they all used to go to the same elementary school and was planning on going to the same school as Minhyun. So that means JR and Ren must be good at playing instruments also? I was about to ask Minhyun why JR and Ren not go to the school in the end when I got interrupted by JR.  

“Alright girls, we’re here” JR said

I looked up and it’s the same café that I got hired for a week ago. I was too busy listening to Minhyun that I didn’t even realize that we were on our way here! I guess renovations are done now. I’m supposed to be starting in two days, what a coincidence indeed!

Minhyun gave me a look which I assumed he’s trying to tell me that we’ll talk later but I shook my head. I really don’t want to pry into their business anymore. I rather just wait until Ren opened up to me and tell me his situation himself. I guess Minhyun understood and gave me a nod saying that he acknowledged it. At least I got some information about the situation. If what Minhyun said was true, then it’s a sensitive topic to talk about since that means Ren’s grandmother is dying. But I wonder… if Ren and JR were supposed to go to the same prestigious arts and music school as Minhyun then why did Ren asked me to play for his grandmother? Couldn’t he just asked JR, or better yet, couldn’t he just played himself? Oh, the more I know the more I get confused!

“Ah! Welcome!” said the host as he greeted us in. He looked familiar. He looks like the guy I saw from this morning with Ren.

“Table for four please, Aron” Ren said to him and this Aron guy smiled at him and looked at me

“Oh! You’re Minhee right?”

I blinked and replied a simple “Yes” but I don’t remember ever meeting this guy. I mean I do have a twin sister but he clearly recognizes me because he said Minhee and not Minyoung.

“The boss told me about you. I saw you leaving the store when you applied to work here! Sorry I couldn’t properly introduce myself. I’m Aron and I’m looking forward to working with you!” He smiled as he reached out his hand for a handshake.

“Alright stop flirting, let’s get seated” JR said in an annoyed voice as Aron just laughed. What a happy-go-lucky guy.

Aron handed out the menu and I quickly scanned what they have. I ate before meeting everyone so I probably won’t get anything on the savory part.

“Peach Cream Trifle” I whispered as I looked at the picture of a sweet dessert filled with peaches and cream. I remember my mom used to make this for Minyoung and I. For once, I was glad that I’m such a thick head and less emotional than my sister or else I would have bawled in front of everyone from the flashbacks of memories with my parents.

“I’ll get one peach cream trifle for now, but is it possible to get two more of those to take home?”

“How much can you eat, you fatty!” JR commented. I was taken aback, what a mean thing to say to a girl.

“It’s for my sister!” I blurted out without thinking about it but I soon regret it

“Minhee, you have a sister?” Ren asked and I looked at Minhyun for help

“Guys, stop chatting nonsense can’t you see Aron is waiting for us?” Minhyun coldly says. Ahh, my savior. I’d have to properly thank him later.

Everyone ordered something sweet except for Minhyun. He got a regular black coffee. It didn’t take long before Aron gave us our food. I was surprised since there’s a decent amount of people in the café at the moment. I hope I’ll do well when I work here but I’m not too worried since I can still work pretty well when under pressured.

It was pretty quiet. No one really talked. JR would comment silly things here and there but nothing extraordinary. But Ren decided to finally to speak up. He thanked and told me that his grandmother is dying. I tried to act like it was the first time I heard that but hearing it again directly from him hurts more. I know firsthand how it feels to lose someone dear to you.

“Grandma told me to play for her but I just couldn’t do it… I’m sorry to bother you Minhee”

“I’m glad to help, Ren”

He thanked me again and gave me a genuine smile. He looked down again with a serious look on his face.

“I think I’m going to play the violin again…” He said in a serious voice.

JR quickly stood up and in an angry voice and yelled no. Minhyun kept his cool but it was clear that he was also bothered by it. I didn’t know why and I was concerned. Ren didn’t say anything else as he only apologized to me and said he’s not ready to explain himself yet.

JR excused himself and stormed out of the café while Ren followed him.

Minhyun offered to walk me home so we left a few minutes after JR and Ren. As we walked home, Minhyun apologized on Ren’s behalf. I thought that they were frenemies of some sort but it was clear that Minhyun cares for Ren. Minhyun said Ren wasn’t always like that, cold and unmoved. He said it will be hard for Ren to play the violin again but he might find strength and hopefully acceptable.

“Sorry for blabbing Minhee” Minhyun laughed as we turned the corner to my two-family house. He patted my head and bid me farewell. “Take care! I’ll visit you at work, alright?”

And with that, he left. I had my doubts on him since he said ill things about my sister but he’s such a nice guy. Today was such a hectic day. I thought about the whole Ren situation and all my unanswered questions but for some reason every now and then but my mind kept going back thinking about Minhyun and I felt horrible.

- - - - - 

After five years of not updating and here you go! Some emotional roller coaster soon. I had to change a lot of what I had in mind before because it was supposed to be mainly a Ren pairing but I decided to add Minhyun in the picture. It might be a love-triangle, not sure yet! Let's see what works well with the flow

- Elyse ✿