Apocrypha

Nameless Story

 

Author's Notes. Sowwie. I’ve been playing games all day today so I couldn’t update ;A;.  - Elyse 

- - - - -

 Chapter Four – Apocrypha

Three days have passed and I can’t really say that I like my new school, but it got better ever since I “befriended” Ren and JR. The only time I actually held conversations with them is during lunch breaks. I usually go to the rooftop and see them there. At first, JR didn’t like me being there, he didn’t like me in general but we’re in good terms now. Ren didn’t care at all whether I was there or not. Basically, he pretty much doesn’t care anyway.

Since I never saw them eat anything during lunch breaks, I decided to make them lunch. I made for myself and one for JR and Ren. They can share, can’t they?

“What the fxck is it?” JR asked with his usual foul mouth.

“It’s food.” I pointed out.

I opened the lunch box and hand it to him. I gave a pair of chopsticks to Ren and another pair to JR. Ren just stared at me so I just took his hand and wrap his fingers to the chopsticks. JR was the first one to try it and his expression was like a girl who just saw a dead frog. Was my cooking that bad? JR stopped eating after two bites while Ren just kept on eating.

“It’s good...” Ren said in a nonchalant voice.

“Are you serious?” JR asked Ren.

"You're such a picky eater anyways" Ren commented. I've never heard him say extra words other than words that are needed. In other words, I've never heard him say much so we never had a decent conversation.

I rolled my eyes. Whatever you stupid punk, no one asked for your opinion. At least Ren appreciates my cooking and that’s all that matters. I would be really disappointed if he didn’t like it.

“Just like my mother’s cooking.” He continued as he took another bite of omelet.

JR quickly changed his poise to a more calm and serious phase. Ren still had the same expression as ever. I tilt my head. His mother? I wonder if something happened to her because JR seemed serious when Ren mentioned his mother. If she’s sick then I hope she’s alright…

“Will you bring another one tomorrow as well?” Ren said as he looked up from the lunch box to me. I can see a bit change in his expression. It shows longing and nostalgia. Was it because of his mother?

I wanted to hug him not just because he looked so cute that moment; it was because I felt pain from him. I wanted to ease his pain and tell him it’s alright even though I’m not really sure what happened in his past.

“I’ll make one every day for Ren.” I smiled at him.

He nodded and quickly looked to the side where I can barely see his face. Although what took me back was that I saw a little curve on his lips. Was I imagining? I think he just... smiled. My heart jumped a little when I realized what happened but it went back to normal when Ren continued to eat with his usually emotionless face.

"Huh? What about me?" JR raised his voice in a slight annoyed tone.

"None for JR" I stuck my tongue out. Such a whiny brat but for some reason, he's so similar to my sister Minyoung. Maybe that's why I'm still around hanging out with them. He's not, let say, a bad person. He's just a jerk and so full of himself but I'm sure he means no actual harm.

We were all quiet the rest of the lunch break but we held few conversations here and there. After that, I went back to my boring classes. School is much more different here than in the United States. Each student is responsible for cleaning up the homeroom on certain days. Today’s my lucky day because I’m in charge of cleaning. Oh, the joy.

There wasn’t much garbage today. I took the garbage bag outside to the main trash and while on my way there I saw the Kendo club practicing in a nearby practice court. Kendo? They have that sport even in Korea? This school assumes me in the most weirdest things. I quickly put away the garbage and watched the Kendo club for a while. The guy on the left is really good! The match ended and the guy that I mentioned that was really good took out his helmet that was used for safety. To my surprise, the guy turned out to be Baekho! Omo?! He goes to this school? Isn’t he like old? Like older than us?

I let out a gasp, which I think was loud because Baekho looked my way. He gave out a shocked face and came up to me.

“Minyoung?” he asked. Wow. Really? Is Minyoung and him so close now that all he can think of is Minyoung?

“Ani… I’m Minhee.” I said shyly.

“Oh..” he let out a disappointed sigh but he quickly shook it aside. “What are you doing here? Is Minyoung here as well?” he asked.

Should I tell him? I think he deserved to know why Minyoung and I don’t go to the same school. It will be bad if Baekho told Minyoung that I go to this school anyway. Ahh.. eotokke? I should just tell him then!

“Baekho-ssi. Can we go somewhere to talk privately?” I said in a polite voice. I really didn’t want to blurt out our conditions here out in public. What if someone is listening?

“Ahh… I understand. I’ll meet you at the main entrance in about 10 minutes then?” he asked and I gave him a nod. With that, I left and went back to my homeroom class to fix the messy desk. I grabbed my stuff and waited for Baekho at the main entrance.  

He came a bit earlier and we went to a nearby café. We ordered two hot chocolate drinks since Baekho recommended it. I told him everything from the start. Our parents died in a car accident and so we came to Korea because we couldn’t manage on our own in the States. Our aunt was too preoccupied with her work and can’t really have us around her and bringing her down.

Baekho looked like he was about to cry. He didn’t know that we were parentless. He said sorry for the loss a few times but I told him it was alright it was alright. Bad things happened in life, although his face looked a bit cute. He was so worried.

Next up, I told the story about why Minyoung and I don’t go to the same school. I told him about our parent’s dream. It was to become a professional pianist and violinist from a well-known graduated school.  Since we’re parentless, we can’t really afford to be in one of those prestigious schools. I manage to enroll one of us to a prestigious school from my parent’s left over money, and that is no other than Minyoung. At least one of us can fulfill our parent’s dream and I believe Minyoung can do it. Because of this, I have to go to the local school because I don’t have to pay a fee for it.

I think Baekho teared a bit. My confessions hit him to the heart. He didn’t know what kind of hardships we went through.

I gave him a smile and told him not to worry. I asked him to keep everything a secret to Minyoung. I don’t want her knowing where I go to school. She sure won’t graduate anymore knowing what my conditions are. Baekho promised that he wouldn’t tell and that he will also try and give us his support.

We talked for a few and I learned that Baekho was only 2 years older than me but he's a senior in the school. I guess he started school a bit late? A few minutes later, Baekho bid his farewell to me to go to his work.  Hmm.. work. I should also get one soon. Maybe they are hiring in this café shop?

I went to the front desk and asked one of the workers if they are looking for employees and to my luck, they were!  Wow. That was fast! The café was near my school too so I guess that’s good. I spoke to the manager and he gave me workings papers. I signed them and he told me that I can start working two weeks from now after schools’. I was thankful that they took me in but two weeks was a bit long than what I expected so I asked them about it. They told me that the shop was going under renovation until two weeks from now and apologized. I guess I can wait, the rent and the tuition for Minyoung's school are due next month anyways

I just have to be really careful and hide everything from Minyoung. It will be bad if she ever finds out.

- - - - -

The term apocrypha is used with various meanings, including "hidden", "esoteric", "spurious", "of questionable authenticity", ancient Chinese "revealed texts and objects" and "Christian texts that are not canonical".

Kendo (剣道 kendō), meaning "Way of The Sword", is a modern Japanese martial art of sword-fighting based on traditional swordsmanship (kenjutsu) which originated with the samurai class of feudal Japan.