The Assignment

Getting the Scoop (Closed)

Four o’clock. It was time. As Bekah pushed opened the doors to her Aunt’s office, she realized she was the last one to show up. The others were lined up in front of the CEO’s desk. Two of them – Amy and who was more than likely Qiao since Bekah did not recognize her – seemed a little fidgety. The Italian-Korean couldn’t blame either of them for their slightly nervous behavior, even if in Amy’s case, it wasn’t in her nature.

            “Ahh, it seems like we’re all here now,” Christina addressed the group as she relaxed back into her leather seat.

            As the woman tossed her niece a look, the amethyst-eyed girl smirked slightly and stood to the left of Deny. The boy casted a slight, playful glare in Bekah’s direction. In return, the smirk on her own face grew. Bekah leaned forward ever so slightly to look at the others since she had not gotten the chance earlier. Next to Deny was Daniella – not much a surprise – and to her right was Sae Ra, then the new girl, Qiao, and then Amy. 

            Bekah focused on the new girl for a moment. She was wearing a salmon colored jacket which was open enough to see the white blouse beneath it, as well as a waist high, black skirt. She could easily tell the woman was nervous – it was written all over her face – but she was also excited, that much was clear.

            Before Bekah could finish looking over the others, her Aunt spoke up, “Now, you’re all probably wondering why I’ve called you here. Well,” Christina leaned forward and laced her fingers under her chin, “After a lot of conferences and meetings with various record labels, it’s been agreed upon that a select few employees at What’s the Scoop? will get the chance to follow some idols around for the latest news, gossip, promotions, rumors… You get the idea. And, after careful consideration and input from Bekah, I have decided that you six would be the best for the job.”

            For a moment, no one spoke. No one moved. Some dared not to even blink. For some, the shock was quite evident on their faces.

            Sae Ra’s chocolate brown eyes widened at the thought. She would have to tell Ji-Hoon as soon as she could; she knew her brother would be so proud of her. He knew of her love for writing and investigating and he had always encouraged her. Even though he was off serving his military sentence, Sae Ra was a top priority in his life. The thought of the twenty-two year-old’s brother brought a small smile to her face. She did miss him terribly. The young columnist was also excited to get her hands back on her phone so she could update her twitter account and her blog; all of her followers had to know what was going on!

            Min Hi, or as everyone in the office called her, Amy, nearly had her jaw on the floor. Saying she was surprised would be an understatement. The thought that she was only an intern kept running through her mind. Why was she chosen for such an amazing opportunity? But she wasn’t about to question it, at least not now. Amy’s curiosity could only be subdued for so long, but she knew when and where to speak her mind… And now was not the right moment.

            “Who exactly will we be following?” Daniella spoke out with a raised eyebrow as she tucked a lock of her curly, brown hair behind her ear.

            The female twin didn’t seem as nervous as some of the others. She didn’t fidget or mess with her slightly baggy, tucked in, white blouse. Daniella seemed to stand just a little straighter as she seemed to hold her head just a little higher. She was taking the new challenge in stride; she was looking forward to the new adventure. She would prove that she was a good choice for the job.

            Christina smiled brightly as she moved a file in front of her and flipped it open, “Well, you, Daniella will be following the rookie group B.A.P. It seems like they might be the next big thing. As for you, Deny, you’ll be over at SM Entertainment following f(x). That alright with you two?”

            The twins shared a glance before turning their attention back towards their boss and nodded their heads and the older Italian continued, “Good. Sae Ra, you’ll be not too far from Deny and will be trailing after JYJ. Now, Amy, you’ll actually be partnered up with Bekah and you two will we watching over EXO – both EXO-M and EXO-K. And Qiao, first, welcome to What’s the Scoop? We’re glad to have you with us, dear. You’ll be our new Ask Abbie and you’ll be following Big Bang. Oh, Bekah, since I trust you so much-”

            “I don’t like the sound of this,” Bekah mumbled, knowing it wasn’t going to end well for her when her aunt started her sentence in such a manner.

            “Since she’s so new and not really used to working for a publishing company, I would like if you could drop in on her from time to time and see how’s she doing,” the look Christina tossed her niece clearly stated the issue was not up for debate.

            Sighing, Bekah nodded her head in acceptance and the other woman continued on, “You guys will be starting the day after tomorrow. Now, if it’s all right with all of you, What’s the Scoop? owns a piece of real estate a little ways in the city that is large enough to house you all comfortably. I believe it would be easier for you all since you won’t be able to come up here every day and this way you can work with one another. Is this a problem for anyone?”

            The six employees exchanged glances with one another. For the older ones, it didn’t seem like too much of a problem. True, there would one man amongst five girls, but everyone – maybe not Qiao – knew Deny was respectful towards women – and people in general. And, if the need ever arose, Daniella could keep her brother in line. And besides, it wasn’t like they would be staying there forever and they were all adults. Well, almost all of them. Min Hi seemed a little hesitant to accept or decline. The sixteen-year old didn’t want this opportunity to pass her by, but she would need to discuss things with her mom.

            “I’m sorry Christina, but I don’t know just yet,” Amy stated.

            The older woman let a motherly smile cross her face, “I understand, dear. I’ll call you later tonight for a final answer, alright?”

            With a bright smile, the teenager nodded her head sharply. The CEO returned the bright smile as she turned her blue-eyed gaze to the others, waiting to see if anyone else had any objections. When no one uttered a word, Christina clapped her hands together once in excitement.

            “Wonderful! You can all start moving in either tonight or tomorrow. Oh! And for expenses, I’ve opened up an account for you guys, so each of you may have a debit card. Just be mindful of your spending,” Christina spoke firmly, ensuring everyone got the message to not be wasteful with the company’s money.

            Christina walked around her desk with a stack of manila envelopes in hand. She didn’t say a word as she handed one to each of the employees. Upon opening the envelope, they could see there were a stack of papers listing some basic information about the group they would be following, a piece of paper with an address scribbled across it, and a debit card. In Qiao’s, she also had an I.D. that was fresh off the printer for if she had to return to the building during her first assignment.

            With that, it was understood that they were dismissed from Christina’s office. Sae Ra was the first one out of the office and was shortly followed by Deny. The four remaining women seemed to conjugate just outside the older woman’s office.

            “Hey, Qiao, right? I’m Bekah, it’s nice to meet you. This is Daniella and Amy,” the slightly taller woman stated with a small smile.

            The new girl smiled brightly, “It’s nice to meet you as well Bekah-sshi, Daniella-sshi, Amy-sshi.”

            “There’s no need for that,” Bekah stated rather awkwardly.

            Though the oldest of the four looked the part, she hadn’t been raised in Korea or even experienced any Korean culture until she was nineteen. It has been four years since she moved to Seoul, and it was still odd for her to use all the honorifics. She would use them with people who were above her in social standing, but she hated when others used them with her.

            Nonetheless, the brunette – though there were slight hints of red in her hair – smiled again, “Alright, Bekah.”

            “So, do you have any questions?” Daniella cut in with a raised eyebrow and a small smile.

            “Not at the moment.”

            “Will you be needing a lift tomorrow?” Bekah intersected, before also glancing over to Amy, “If you can, will you need a ride?”

            Both girls shook their head causing their long hair to flare out slightly, “Don’t worry, I have a car,” Qiao assured her.

            “If I can, my mom will probably drop me off,” Amy mumbled, slightly embarrassed about having her mom with her while the other, older women needed no such guardian.

            Daniella laid a comforting hand on the younger girl’s shoulder – they had all been in that kind of position before at one time or another. At that moment, both Deny and Sae Ra returned – Sae Ra typing something away on her phone. The twenty-two year old even had a slight hop in her step; she was kind of a bundle of energy.

            “Ready to go sis?” the only man amongst the group asked his sister as he tossed his black, Orisue Donovan jacket over his arm.

            The more Hispanic looking woman glanced over at her brother and smirked as she snatched the car keys that had been in his hand, “Yeah, and it’s my turn to drive.”

            Deny just rolled his eyes and smiled at the woman’s antics, “See you guys tomorrow then,” he stated as he turned his smile towards the others.

            “Yeah. I can’t wait!” Sae Ra nearly exclaimed with the biggest smile on her face.

            Bekah laughed lightly and rolled her eyes at the woman’s giddy and spirited nature, “Alright, see you guys then.”

            “See ya Bekah,” Daniella called back as the twins disappeared down the hall.

            A soft chime averted the other girl’s attention to Min Hi as she pulled out her phone from her pocket, “Oh! My mom’s here! Hopefully I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

            Amy took off down the hall and nearly fell flat on her face when she stepped on her heel wrong, “Bring flats!”

            Bekah started walking towards her cubicle to pick up her things, “Bye Sae Ra, Qiao.”

            “See ya,” the columnist chimed cheerfully as she turned towards Qiao, “I’ll lead you out.”

            Qiao was starting to get used to the others’ warm and outgoing personalities and was warming up to them, “Alright, thanks. So what do you do?”

            “I’m a columnist actually, and so is Deny. Both Daniella and Bekah are journalists while Amy is an intern here,” Sae Ra answered quickly – it was always in her nature to talk fast, “So you’re our new Ask Abbie, huh?”

            The Chinese-Korean woman nodded her head immediately, “Yeah, but I’m hoping one day to be a journalist,” she finished with a slightly far off look in her eyes.

            Sae Ra smiled at the other woman and patted her shoulder, “Well, you have to start somewhere. None of us just started out as a journalist or columnist. Not even Bekah, and she’s Christina’s niece.”

            Her reassuring words did wonders for Qiao as the two women made their way to the garage. There weren’t many cars left, since most of the employees had already left. That was one of the nicer things about working for What’s the Scoop? Most of the work that needed to be done could be done at home.

            The two girls bid each other farewell as Qiao made her way over to her baby blue Slug bug – Beetle – and Sae Ra wandered over to her maroon Chevrolet Aveno. As the girls slid into their respective cars, a loud rumbling echoed throughout the garage and a blue and silver street bike came around the corner. The rider of the bike donned a leather jacket that fitted its form and revealed the rider to be a female. She wore a full-head helmet that matched her bike’s colors.

            As she passed the two girls in their cars, she raised her hand up and gave a small, three- wave before she was gone.

            Qiao looked over to Sae Ra from her seat and mirrored the columnist’s actions as she rolled down her window, “That was Bekah.”

            The new girl’s mouth formed an ‘O’ before she smiled and waved goodbye to the girl.

            As they both pulled out of the parking lot, they were caught behind a yellow Camero. The driver in said Camero glanced into the rear view mirror and waved to Sae Ra, as she was right behind her. The ball of energy – otherwise known as Sae Ra – bounced in her seat slightly as she waved at both Daniella and Deny before they all parted for their own home.

Author's Note: Sorry guys about the long wait! Hopefully this somewhat lengthy chapter will make up for the wait. I hope you guys enjoy! Oh, and please comment or something so I at least know you guys didn't die while waiting for this. Okay, well, I think that's it. So, with lots of love, I'm out!