Fate

Wonderstruck Twice

Fate.

I just don't get it. I thought that it was fate when I met her. Her. That girl who I found crying in the library. Well, I found her when I was still called Kris Wu and not Park Chanyeol. I guess it just wasn't meant to be when I found myself lying down on a bed in the hospital, saying my last words and breating my last breath. And what's worse is that she wasn't even in that same room to see me. I guess she just wasn't the one.

I believed in fate because of her. But now I grew really skeptical about the whole thing. Though somehow I never thought that I would live as a different guy and still have my memories of my past life still in tact. And to top it all off, I still live in the same part of the city and I still go to the same school. How freaky is that?

"Take care of yourself." My older sister said before I walked to my new school. The walk there was all too familiar for my liking. The people I came across with were still the same people. The same faces I talked to when I was still Kris. But of course they never did recognize me. I'm Chanyeol now.

I arrived at the 'new' school. I'm actually fortunate enough that God gave me a goodlooking face this time and the students there were staring at me, as if I'm some kind of alien or celebrity. I ignored the blatant stares and continued walking in the hallways towards the principal's office.

"Welcome to Shinhwa High." The principal said as he gestured me to sit in front of him.

"Thank you."

"Here's a guide to the school grounds." He handed me handbook. "It'll help you heaps."

I thanked him again and left to get to my classroom. And of course it's the same classroom as before. What, am I suppose to relive my previous life and not have a different one?

I entered the classroom to be greeted by total silence and wide eyed students. I was late. A minute late, to be specific.

"You must be the new student." The teacher in front said as he gestured me to walk in. "Introduce yourself to the class."

"My name is Park Chanyeol." I said to the students staring at me as I stood there in front of them. I ignored the whispers and murmurs and shuffled to the seat next to a girl. I used to sit there actually.

"Hi." I greeted her and she smiled back slightly.

"It's nice to meet you, Chanyeol." She said as she shook my hand. Suddenly, memories of my past life started to run through my mind with this girl in every single one. My eyes completely widened at the sight of her. She's the girl. The girl whom I met before, tearing up in the library. Only, I met her here now, in this very classroom. Could this be fate? Maybe.

"What's your name?" I acted like I didn't know who she was. Of course. I do that to everyone.

"Cho Yoohyun." She said, not looking at me. She was staring blankly at her notes. Yoohyun was the little sister of Cho Kyuhyun, the most popular guy senior in this school before he went to college.

"Nice to meet you, Yoohyun." I said. She nodded without looking at me as well. What's the matter with her? I could've just asked right then and there, but I'm still a total stranger to her. She wouldn't open up that easily.

We proceeded to the lecture and we hastily took down notes as fast as we can. I glanced over at Yoohyun, who wasn't having a problem at all. I smiled at the sight of her casually writing as if she's not even in a hurry. I guess she's just used to this kind of thing. It's impressive.

It was Alegbra class next and we were told to pair up into three groups. I was put with Yixing and Luhan, my friends from my past life.

"Hey, new guy." Luhan said as he patted my shoulder. "Chanyeol right?"

"Yeah." I said.

"I'm Luhan." He pointed his thumb to himself. "And he's Yixing."

As if I didn't know already.

"Nice to meet you." Yixing nodded at me.

The grueling activity the teacher made us do together caused us to be instant friends. It wasn't that bad considering that we didn't bother to finish it. Instead we talked about other stuff.

"Chanyeol." Luhan called.

"What?"

"Have you heard the news before he went in here?" He asked.

"What news?" I said.

"Someone in this class died a month ago." Yixing answered. Oh of course.

"He's actually our really good friend." Luhan continued. "He used to sit beside Yoohyun over there. Where you're sitting actually. They were like, dating for a year and he's suddenly gone, just like that. It's terrible."

"I'm sorry." I said. This situation's pretty awkward. But I could actually use this oppurtunity to hear what other people thought about the Kris Wu that I was before.

The boring and awful three hours of the first three periods have passed and it was time for lunch. Everybody was racing to the cafeteria and I stood up to get there too. But I noticed that Yoohyun wasn't.

"You're not hungry?" I sat down beside her again.

She shook her head as a No.

"You want any company?" I asked.

"I guess." She replied and looked away.

"What's wrong?"

"Just feeling a bit lightheaded, that's all." She lied. I could tell that she's upset about Kris' death. But I couldn't actually tell her, 'I'm actually Kris Wu. But I had to live in a different life wherein I'm called Chanyeol. Love me.' That's ridiculous.

"You wanna go to the school clinic?" I offered. "I can take you there."

"No thanks. I'll just sit here." She said. "I'm fine."

I don't want to leave you here, Yoohyun. You're too fragile for your own good. I know you far too well.

"You look pale." I said as I stared at her downcast face. She looked seriously depressed. And it's all because of me.

"I'm okay, really." She said. "Go on, don't worry about me. I'll see you here later after lunch."

I didn't respond back. I just stared at her from head to toe, she's looking as broken and lonely as can be. It's hurting me so much.

"I'll just stay here with you." I said. "I won't be a bother to you, okay? I'll just keep you company."

"Be my guest." She said.

And so I sat with her for the next hour. Not saying anything. It was wretching to know how close I am to her and I just wanted to embrace her. She placed her head on her desk and closed her eyes to rest. I stared at her all throughout the lunch break and we were alone in the classroom. She's so depressed. I feel like her protecter not even doing anything for her.

The bell rang and the other classmates went inside our classroom. They were surprised seeing me with Yoohyun alone.

"What'd you guys do?" Yixing asked me.

"Nothing." I said. "She was just resting and I just sat there to keep her company."

"Don't make a move on her this fast, okay?" Luhan said. "Ever since that whole thing with Kris, she's being really hard on herself. So, try and keep it low."

"Fine." I grunted. If they only knew how hard this is for me. I was Kris. I'm still the same guy she fell in love with.

The last three periods started and it was time to go home. Yoohyun's house was near mine, so I offered to walk her home.

"I'm just walking you home. Like friends. What's wrong with that?" I asked her. I'm only doing this for the friend thing. I'm not going to make a move on her and ask her to be my girlfriend because she really is not ready for that yet.

"Alright." She said almost by force. I smiled and we walked together.

"So." I tried to start the conversation. "You live anywhere nearby?"

"Yeah. Over this way." She pointed to the pathway where both our houses were near to.

"Okay."

She seemed to be walking really slowly. She looked extremely tired.

"Let's stop first." I said. She looked down the ground. I can barely see her facial expression. "Are you tired?" I asked.

She nodded lightly.

"I'll carry you." I said. She looked up at me with wide and teary eyes. "Come on."

I was carrying her on my back. The same way I carried her when she was this tired when I was still Kris. I could hear her sniffling and crying softly.

"It's okay, it's okay. Don't cry." I said gently to comfort her.

"I'm really tired... of everything that's happening to me." She said.

"I know, I know."