How'd He Get My Number?

This Is Why I Hate Science

"Kim Kibum... What in the hell were you thinking?" 

 

Key stood in the kitchen doorway, watching his mother shuffle around the kitchen. She opened the dish washer and began to put the dishes away. Then, suddenly, she turned toward him, strutting the few steps until she was close enough that he could trace the stress lines on her face. 

 

"I asked you a question. What in the hell were you thinking, Kim Kibum!?" She screeched. "You got in a fight! A fight! You punched another student! And I don't care if he was the one who provoked it. I don't care!" She took a breath, then shot right back into it. "Try to understand, Kibum. Picture this: A business woman -the manager of a business, even- walking into her son's school office to pick up her son, who had gotten in a fight. You know what that looks like? It looks like I can't control my own child. Now, listen here. I don't care who Kim Jonghyun is. I don't care if he punched you first. You do not ever punch someone. Not. Ever."

 

Key's silence was broken in an instant. "Oh, so if someone punches me, I'm supposed to sit there and take it? That sounds real logical!" 
 

His mother's eyes flashed. "Dont you even! Dont you backsass me, Kim Kibum! You are in no position! You have no voice to me as of now. None whatsoever!" 

 

"Mom, that's not-!" Fair. That's not fair. Key stopped himself from saying it, and a knowing smirk crossed his mother's face. 
 

"Fair?" She finished in a sour tone. "Kibum, listen up. You're the child, I'm the mother. What I say goes. You can not get in fights at school, or anywhere else!" Without waiting to hear Key's answer, his mother turned sharply and grabbed more dishes from the washer and began to put them away again. Key scowled and threw himself up the stairs and into his bedroom, laying on the bed, glaring at the ceiling. If looks could kill, there would be a hole in Key's ceiling. 

 

The obnoxious ring of his cell phone -all the way over on his desk, at the other side of the room, damnit- sang out, and Key hoisted himself up reluctantly. He glanced at the caller ID, frowning when he saw the "Unknown Number" in small letters. He glanced quickly at the number- the beginning digits were definitely alike to the number in Seoul*- and pressed the Accept Call button, holding it up to his ear. "Uh... Hello?"

 

There wasn't an answer from the other line, other than an oddly shakey breathing, and Key frowned. A prank call?

 

"Listen," Key said in his infamous 'hey-' voice, "if this is a prank call, you at it. Who the hell is this-"

 

"Ah, no." The voice on the other line said quickly, and Key blinked, realizing the voice sounded familiar. But he couldn't place it. "It's... Uh, well.... It's Jonghyun."

 

Key actually held the phone away from his ear to stare at it.

 

"Wha- uhm. How'd you... get my number?" Key shifted his weight and shuffled backwards until the backs of his knees touched the bed, tossing him back on it.

 

He could practically hear the embarressment on the other line, but was surprised when Jonghyun began to laugh. "You know, Kibum," he said through laughter, "any other kid would'a been happy to hear that Kim Jonghyun called them unexpectedly like this." Even though the statement was so obviously conceited and self-centered, Key couldn't help himself as he smiled. At least Jonghyun had said it without completely sounding selfish.

 

"I'm not any other kid." Key pointed out, and lay back on his back, sighing contentedly as he felt his muscles relax.

 

"... Yeah." Jonghyun murmured, and Key felt like it wasn't to him that Jonghyun was talking. He could have sworn there was a smile in his voice. "I guess you're really not.... Weirdo."

 

"Wha- oi!" Key sat up in an instant, a slight pout on his face. "Did you have something you wanted, or did you just call to bestow your amazing prescence on my lowly self?"

 

"Well, a little bit of both, actually." Jonghyun said, and then chuckled afterwords as Key muttered curses. A pause, and Key thought that Jonghyun was going to decide on not saying anything at all. But he spoke up. "So... About this project... I think that we're not really going to be able to switch partners, because I already asked the teacher that, but she told me it was out of the question. So... Uh..." Key had a hunch that Jonghyun was blushing. Why?

 

"So you want to work together on this instead of working against eachother?" Key supplied, earning a quick 'mmhmm' from Jonghyun. It was honestly kind of indearing, seeing the big bad Kim Jonghyun so shy and hesitant. "I'm fine with that, as long as you tone down on the douchebag attitude when I'm around you. That fine, or does that completely destroy your attempt?"

 

There was a pause, and Key heard Jonghyun curse. "." Key frowned, but when he heard Jonghyun's defeated tone, his frown lifted. "Fine, fine, fine. I'll try to be nicer to you."

 

Key smiled in satisfaction and nodded to himself. Mission accomplished. Now that he'd gotten Jonghuyn's attitude out of the way, all there was left to do was decide on a project, and they'd be set. "So what did you have in mind?"

 

"... What?" Jonghyun sounded lost, and almost surprised, as if he'd thought that Key was talking about something else.

 

"What do you want to do for our project?" Key clarified, not toning down his 'no-duh' tone. He smiled softly as Jonghyun muttered, but finally, Jonghyun replied.

 

"Uh... I dont know. Maybe, like, lighting up a lightbulb with a lemon or something?"

 

Key shook his head. That was third grade material. They needed a great project. One that would pop. "EH. Denied." Key sang, and tapped his temple. "I'll think of something that's actually worth a grade. My five year old cousin could do that in no time."

 

Key could practically hear Jonghyun's irritation.

 

"I'll call you when I have the project idea." Key said, and Jonghuyn 'mmhmm'ed. They hung up, and Key jumped, realizing that he hadn't ever found out how Jonghyun had gotten his number. He'd have to ask about that.


I UPDATED

 

; A ;

 

SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL SHOULD GO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE.

 

Five projects. All due on the same day. ; o ; Overexertion? Or something.

 

ANYWAY. :D Hope you like the chapter. I honestly dont like this one, but I can't really do any tweaking to it, 'cause whenever I try to go back and tweak a story, it ends up worse than before. ;;>______> SO ANYWAY. HOPE YOU LIKE IT. :D

 

DURRHURRHURR