Parental Pressure

This Is Why I Hate Science

Okay, so punching him was a bit over the top.

 

Sitting in the principal's office, only a few feet away from Key, Jonghyun knew he'd overreacted by punching him in the mouth. But what could he say? His body moved on its own will. It wasn't his fault he had a proactive body. But it was his fault that he'd let Key's words get to him. Feeling like an idiot for being pulled into the taunts, Jonghyun slid lower in his seat, arms crossed, looking sour. 

 

Next to him, Key was thinking completely different thoughts. Instead of thinking about his own faults, punching Jonghyun, he was thinking of what his mother would do when she found out about this. Not only was he in the office, but he was in the office for getting in a fight. This. Was. Bad. To the extreme. His mother, while looking like a kind woman who never raised a voice at anyone to outsiders, was a demon. She raised more than a voice against Key on occasion. 

 

Sliding his eyes sideways, Key glanced at Jonghyun. What was with the bruise, anyway? Maybe, just maybe, if it were only him and Jonghuyn, Jonghyun would spill. Key had an odd, strong want to know just what had hurt Jonghyun. Just what had gotten close enough to him to be able to give him a black eye. It wouldn't be an animal- no, there would be more than a black eye to show. What was it? What had hurt Jonghyun?

 

... Why did Key care in the first place?

 

Instead of brooding over that for long, Key leaned forward in his chair, turning his body slightly so he was angled toward Jonghyun. His eyes raked over Jonghyun's slumped form, frowning at the somehow defeated air about him. "So..." Key began lamely, "what did give you that black eye?"

 

Jonghyun let out a dry, humorless laugh. Did Key really think he was going to tell him? No, of course not! Why would he tell Key, of all people? And why did he have the sudden feeling that he wanted to tell Key? "I already said I fell. Listen more."

 

Key frowned. Well, you don't have to be mean about it, Key thought grumpily. "You fell on your eye?" He muttered, and a light blush suddenly smeared across his face. Key smirked, glad he'd caught him in his lie. Now he had to tell him.

 

"What do you care, huh?" Jonghyun asked bitterly, and Key was taken aback by his sudden roughness. Key's eyes narrowed, slitting, and he sighed in irate impatience. 

 

"Did I say I care? I'm curious." Key replied in a tone to match Jonghyun's own.

 

Jonghyun frowned deeply. Well, was there a reason not to tell him? Besides, even if Jonghyun told Key, and Key told everyone, Jonghyun could simply deny it. He had many friends, friends that would side with him no matter what Key said. Yes, yes... He'd tell him and win both ways! With a sigh, Jonghyun sat up slightly straighter. Key's eyes focused on him, awaiting his words. "Fine," Jonghyun said clearly. "Whatever. You want to know, I'll tell you. I got in between a fight my mom and dad were having. Okay?" 

 

Key was silent, letting the words sneak in. He'd gotten in between his parents when they were having a fight. And he... received a black eye? Was this... verbal fighting? Or physical? And if it was verbal, had his parents given him a black eye on purpose? And if it was physical had his parents accidentally hurt him with their own mess? Key shook his head, taking a deep breath. 

 

"Can you be more... clear? What happened?" Key asked, trying to pick the words carefully.

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. Oh, great. He'd have to explain it... That was worse than it happening. He'd have to tell him, step by step, what had happened. Well, he had nothing better to do. "My parents were fighting and I got in between them and got a black eye. Is that clear enough for you?"

 

Key sighed. "No. It's not." He stood up and pushed his chair toward Jonghyun's, and Jonghyun blinked. What was he doing? Were they suddenly buddy-buddy with each other? Hm? How did that happen?

 

Key looked at Jonghyun, a serious stare on his face. "Were they fighting... like, verbal fighting? Arguing...?" He asked, feeling stupid as he'd asked it. Jonghyun was sure not to answer that, Key thought. 

 

"Physical fighting." Jonghyun answered easily, and Key was firstly surprised that he'd gotten an answer at all. Jonghyun smirked and looked away. "They tend to do that. What, you didn't think the world was horses and ponies, did you?" 

 

Key was silent struck, many come-backs sprinting through his mind, but he felt that saying it was unusually cruel. He opened his mouth, thinking about how well Jonghyun had been able to hide something like that, especially being as popular as he was. "Jonghyun-" It felt like the first time saying his name, but before he could say anything else, the slim form of the principal sashayed into view.

 

"Hello, boys." For a moment, her eyes flicked to the small distance between their chairs, but she let it slide, and sat down, a stoic look on her face. "Now, why don't we talk about this?" 

 

Just great. Jonghyun thought. This is just fantastic. He stared at the teacher and sighed, deciding to take charge. "Ma'am," he began, "this was..." He stalled, thinking in a flash. He'd blame it on Key. He'd say Key made the first jab. He'd say... anything. Anything to get him out of trouble. "Ma'am, this was my fault." 

 

For a split second, everything was frozen. Jonghyun, looking solemn, but thinking wildly. Why did he say that? Damn it, why did he say that? Key, looking surprised beyond measure, and thinking the same thing. He'd never been able to imagine the day Jonghyun would stand up for Key's own sake. And, dear Lord, it was really happening, right before his eyes.

 

"... I see." The principal herself looked a bit surprised, but quickly evaded any emotion of sorts, turning to Key. "And what do you have to say about this, Kibum?" 

 

"I..." He murmured, and glanced at Jonghyun, who was still staring forward, his mouth in a small, barely noticeable 'O'. So he was surprised he'd said it, too. Key held back a chuckle. Now was not the time for humor. "Yes, ma'am... But it was my fault too." And there he went, saying things he didn't mean. Just like Jonghyun. Key sighed in defeat. Today was not going his way.

 

The principal was silent, staring at both of the boys in slight curiosity and slight disbelief. She let out a breath, standing up. "Your parents are waiting out in the office. You're both going home for the day, and I'll decide on your punishment by tomorrow. Have a nice day, boys. Or, should I say nicer day." She turned and walked out of the room, leaving Jonghyun and Key alone.

 

Jonghyun stood up, sighing. Great, now he'd have to deal with his parents. Hopefully, they wouldn't be too angry... But he couldn't be too sure. He glanced at Key and froze. Key's body was rigid, stiff, and absolutely terrified. "... Yo. Kibum...?" 

 

Key's mind was running a mile a minute. His mother was here... She was here. Key had seen it coming- of course he had, he'd seen it a mile away. But now it seemed more real. Slowly, he stood, not ready to meet his fate. He glanced at Jonghyun. "What...?" 

 

Jonghyun kept his eyes on Key before turning away, looking like he hadn't cared in the first place. "Whatever." He muttered half-heartedly. He walked out the door and winced as he caught sight of his father, standing broad-shouldered near the door of the office. He saw Jonghyun, and his eyes flashed. Jonghyun winced again, walking toward him, looking down. "... Sorry." He said quietly, and his father didn't reply. Somehow, not receiving a reply was worse than receiving one.

 

Meanwhile, Key was having a mental battle. His mother stood there, looking absolutely positively pissed. His muscles and limbs seemed locked, and his heartbeat had risen extremely. It pounded in his ears, and he matched his steps up with it. Too fast. He slowed his walk, and right when he reached her, her hand flashed out like a bullet and grabbed his bicep. "We're going to talk about this." Key knew there was more to it than that.

 

Both boys left the school, ignoring any probing eyes of the passing students going to their next classes, knowing they'd have to deal with their own problems.