April 14th, 1912. Choi Minho.

Never Brighter (SHINee) (Titanic)

 

April 14th, 1912. Choi Minho.

 

On the deck was a huge chaos going on. People were yelling, looking for their beloved ones, shouting at the crew, pushing each other. There was one person who stood noticeably still. When I saw him, I felt anger taking over, and I swear I would've punched him in the face. That is, if he would've kept his mouth shut.

"I am glad that you're ok, mister Choi.” He spoke in a calm voice. I frowned, thinking of a good reply to that, but there was none.

"Explain.” I ordered. He reached out for Taemin but I pulled him closer to me, keeping Jonghyun from touching him. Jonghyun coughed. He was unusually calm for someone who ordered his bodyguard to kill me just an hour ago.

"Well, if it weren't for you, my fiancée wouldn't have been safe.” Jonghyun took of his jacket and put it around Taemin's shoulders. “I know he's reckless enough to stay in the ship, looking for you. So I want to thank you for returning him to me.”

"I am not being returned to anybody.” Taemin hissed, pushing Jonghyun away from him. My grip around him tightened.

"Listen, Taemin. I've made a deal, for liveboats. You are getting on that one, with Kibum. Me and mister Choi have to go to another boat.”

"Your deal... includes Minho?” Taemin asked him, hesitating. Jonghyun nodded and looked at me, clearly trying to tell me something with his eyes. And I understood what he was trying to do. My grip around Taemin's waist tightened and I put on a pokerface.

"Yes, of course it does, sweetheart. This man saved your life, I'm saving his. Fair enough, isn't it?” Taemin looked at me, his eyes filled with doubt. I cleared my throat and nodded.

"Let's get away safely.” I whispered. Taemin's eyes shined with hope and he nodded.

"Alright,” he spoke. “Take us to the boat.” Jonghyun nodded and smiled at me, but I could see the evil smirk that was hiding underneath it. I didn't care at the moment. My Taemin was going to be safe.

 

"Kibum!” Taemin cried, releasing my hand as he ran for his friend. Said friend embraced him and they had a conversation which I couldn't hear due to the loud yelling of the crowd. Jonghyun grabbed my shoulder and stopped me from following Taemin.

"Listen up, Choi. You better make sure that he gets on that boat, or else...” His voice was threatening, and he sounded almost disgusted while saying my name. I slammed his hand off of my shoulder.

"Or else what? Are you going to call you bodyguard again? Can't you deal with your problems by yourself?” Jonghyun's eyes looked at me like he was trying to burn me with his stare. “Don't worry, Kim,” I continued, my voice sounding just as threatening as his. “I love him to death and I want him to be safe.” Jonghyun smirked at me.

"So it's a deal.” I nodded, knowing that I had just sealed my destiny.

 

The crew members helped Taemin enter the life-boat and Kibum was right behind him. Taemin sat down at the side of the boat that was closest to the ship and he reached out for my hand. I held his hand, caressing the back of it with my thumb.

"Will you be alright?” he asked. I remembered Jonghyun's words, feeling my heart being crushed as I nodded.

"I'll be right behind you.” I managed to smile at him. Slowly the crew started to let down the boat and I felt the only one I ever truly loved literarily slipping through my fingers. He looked at me in horror as he felt my grip around his hand loosening.

"No... No Minho!” he yelled. I stretched as far as I could, but in the end I had to let go. Every sound faded to the background, and all I could hear was Taemin screaming my name as I looked at Jonghyun.

"You're a good liar.” He said.

"Almost as good as you.” I replied. “There... Is no deal, is there?” Jonghyun looked at me in surprise.

"Oh, there is a deal alright. But it doesn't involve you. I'm sorry my friend, but in the end... We both knew that this is the way things are supposed to be. You've got nothing to offer him. I'm glad you finally realised that I'm the only one for him. I always win, Choi. One way or another.” My heart ached, and my hands turned into fists as I looked back down to see Taemin, his tears flowing. His eyes moved to something beside me, and I turned my head to see what it was. Jonghyun was standing there, beside me, his lips forming an evil-looking grin. Taemin looked me in the eyes again, and I shook my head. This was goodbye.

"Minho!” Taemin screamed. He jumped up. The boat was now at the same level as the second class deck. My heart stopped when I saw him closing his eyes as he jumped for the railing of the deck.

"Taemin!” I screamed. I watched in horror as Taemin was dangling from the railing, crying out my name. The crew was trying to get him back into the life boat, and Kibum was screaming for Taemin to get back into the boat. Taemin kicked the crew members away from him and he started to pull himself up the railing. I turned around, pushing everybody who was in my way to the sides as I made my way to the big door that would lead me to the stairs. I ran down, jumping the last steps as I headed to the second class deck. As I reached the spot where Taemin had been dangling from the railing, I saw him falling over it, onto the wooden surface of the deck. I ran towards him, and as he saw me, he stood straight and came running to me. I locked my arms around him tight and kissed him.

"Why did you do that Taemin?” I yelled, before kissing him again. “You're so stupid Tae... So stupid!” he pressed his lips against mine again and I could taste his salty tears. “Why did you do that?!” He cupped my cheeks and looked at me.

"You jump, I jump, right?” Tears started to appear in my own eyes as I replied.

"Right...” I whispered, holding him close to me.

"I couldn't go, Minho... I couldn't go!” he cried. Slowly we walked back inside, never letting go of each other. When we reached the big hallway with the stairs, I kissed him again. He looked me in the eyes, crying, and in the reflection of his big pupils I could see myself. I embraced him, looking up, thinking of a way to safe us. My eyes widened when I saw Jonghyun running through the first class deck doors, and as soon as his eyes met mine he pointed a gun at me.

"Taemin!” I yelled, and I pushed him away. Jonghyun shot, but he missed. “Run Taemin! Run!” Taemin saw Jonghyun and he screamed when another bullet was shot in our direction. We ran down the stairs until we reached the 3rd class floors, which were already underwater for a big part. I heard the shots of Jonghyun's gun and I pushed Taemin into the ice cold water, ordering him to move faster. We ran, but the water was giving us a hard time to move. Jonghyun shot again, and then I heard a clicking noise, followed by him cursing. He ran out of bullets. I could hear him shouting at us.

"I hope you enjoy your time together!” The water was rising quickly, and it pulled us further into the hallway. I saw the smaller stairs we had used earlier and as soon as we reached them, I pushed Taemin into the small hallway. I hold on to the corner of the wall, trying to swim against the strong streaming of the water.

"Minho! Grab my hand!” Taemin yelled, standing on the stairs, reaching out for me. I did as he said and I felt him pulling me towards him. I grabbed the railing of the stairs and we started to run back up to the next floor. The further we ran, the easier it got, as the water was no longer a bother. That was, until we reached the deck again.