We Meet Again

Coffee-laced Romance

Lu Han’s POV

 

“Lu Han!”

I was walking out of the university when someone called me. I looked behind me to see Minseok waving his hands like an idiot. He has been my best friend ever since I moved to the city. We were neighbors and classmates during middle school up until high school and now, we study at the same university.

“Lu Han! Why didn’t you wait for me? You know that we always go home during Wednesdays because we have the same schedule.” Minseok said while breathing heavily.

“Oh, is it Wednesday today? I’m so sorry, I totally forgot about it.” I apologized.

“You’ve been pretty distracted for the whole week. What’s with you? Any problem you want to share?” He asked, eyes full of concern.

“No, I don’t have any problem. It’s just that… I met someone. You remember my favorite café, right? Well, I met someone and he works part-time there. He’s such a sweet boy and so innocent-looking.” I smiled as I recall our first meeting.

“Why do you sound like someone who’s talking about his crush?” He eyed me suspiciously.

“W-what?! What are you talking about? I’m not gay… and he’s just a kid. A dongsaeng.” I defended.

“Oh, really? Then why am I blinded by your overly twinkling eyes, huh? You like this guy, seriously.”

“No, I don’t. I’m straight, why would I like… a guy?” I defended for myself again. I really wasn’t gay, I was sure of that… somehow. I did have a guy crush but I was too young then, and by young, I mean 9 year-old young. I had a crush on my childhood friend back then. He was four years younger than me so he was like my dongsaeng but I knew better. I liked him not as a dongsaeng, I ‘like’ liked him. But when I moved to the city with my family, my feelings for him disappeared. I can’t even remember his name anymore. I think it was Se…

“Ya!!!” My mind went back to reality as Minseok shouted at my ear.

“Ouch! You didn’t have to shout at my ear!” I shouted back at him.

“Well, I was talking here for a while now and the moment I look at you, you were in your own world. You were thinking about this guy, weren’t you?” He accused me.

“No, I wasn’t. I was… thinking of something else. Anyways, what were you saying?”

“I said, why don’t you take me to that café and let me meet your new friend?” Minseok smiled at me. I knew he was up to no good but I sighed and nodded.

 

“Welcome, what would… Lu Han hyung!” Sehun smiled brightly as soon as he saw me.

“Hey, Sehun. You know my order. Oh, and…” I looked at Minseok to ask him what he wants and turned back to Sehun to give him the payment. “And an espresso.”

“Coming right up. Just wait at your seat and I’ll take it there.” He said before going to the coffee counter.

 

“It would’ve been nice if you introduced me to him, you know?” Minseok said the moment we took our seats at my favorite spot.

“Well, he was working. I wouldn’t want to bother him at the moment.” I said, watching as Sehun worked and smiling when he looked at me.

“Man, I can see the sparks.” Minseok said, making me look at him in confusion.

“Sparks… As in the little love aura flying around when someone is in love. Do you even know what ‘love’ is?” I lightly punched him in the arm as he said that. He really liked teasing me when it comes to love because he knows that I’ve never been in love before even though a lot of girls swarm around me.

“Whatever. You’re ridiculous.” I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, ridiculous… ridiculously right.” He smirked as Sehun arrived with our drinks.

“Here’s your drinks.” He served our drinks and smiled at me.

“Hi, I’m Minseok. You’re Sehun, right?” Minseok held up a hand to him.

Sehun backed off a bit, a little startled from Minseok’s sudden action. He regained his calm and shook Minseok’s hand before saying, “Yes, I’m Sehun. Nice to meet you, Minseok.”

“I’m Lu Han’s best friend, by the way. And he’s told me a lot about you.” He added before turning to give me an evil grin. I stood up to break their handshake and turned to Sehun.

“Don’t mind Minseok. He’s kinda weird sometimes.” I whispered with fail, earning a light slap on the hand from Minseok.

“I am not weird. Anyways, it was nice meeting you Sehun. ‘Til we meet again.”

Sehun said goodbye to us and went back to work. I watched him as he work, noticing how diligent the boy was. For a nineteen year old boy, he sure was persevering with his work. I remember that being a professional barista is his dream so maybe he is really not taking this job lightly.

 

Minseok stopped bothering me about Sehun and we fell in a comfortable silence as both of us studied our lessons for tomorrow. We did not notice that it was almost the shop’s closing time by the time we were finished. Sehun went to our table to inform us that they were closing.

“Oh, we didn’t notice it’s already this late. We’ll be leaving then.” I stood up to pack my things.

“Why don’t you go home with us today, Sehun?” I froze. What is this jinbaozi thinking?!

“Sure.” Sehun agreed. I almost wanted to push Minseok to the Han River but decided not to.

“Great.” Minseok said as he finished packing his things.

Sehun went to the employees’ room to get his bag and in a few minutes, he was out.

 

The walk back to our respective houses was awkward. If it was not for Minseok’s constant glances between Sehun and me, we would not be feeling uncomfortable at all. It was a good thing that Minseok’s house was on the other side of the street so we said our goodbyes before continuing our walk.

“Well, that… was awkward.” I mumbled without thinking.

“Yeah, it was quite awkward. Your friend keeps on staring at me like I’m some kind of meat at the butcher’s shop.” He shrugged.

“Sorry about him. He’s just been teasing me ever since I told him about you. He said there were sparks flying.  But don’t mind that baozi, he’s just really playful. He’s a good guy once you get to know him.” I explained, trying to make Minseok sound like a normal person. I didn’t want Sehun to think I hang out with a weirdo.

“Sparks?” He softly asked.

“Yeah, sparks. Like the little love aura flying around when someone’s in love.” I repeated Minseok’s words, I couldn’t find any other explanation for the word ‘spark’ anyways.

“Oh… Really?” I stopped walking to look back at Sehun who was visibly blushing. I don’t have a good feeling about this.

“Sehun-ah. Why… why is your face red?” Wrong move. Why did I ask that?!

“W-what? No, I’m not blushing. It’s just hot tonight.” He fanned himself before slowly walking again, his eyes not daring to look at me.

“Yeah, I guess it is hot tonight…” I simply said.

We were walking for about fifteen minutes already and no one has spoken ever since. I remembered that it was Sehun’s graduation tomorrow so to lessen the awkwardness between us, I spoke.

“Hey, tomorrow’s your graduation, isn’t it? I can’t believe it’s already been a week since we met and you’re graduating already! You’re now a big boy.” I ruffled his hair.

“Y-yeah. Tomorrow’s my graduation, and…” He stopped walking and I turned to look at him.

He was looking at the ground and playing with the hem of his shirt. I took his hand and held it. “And…? Why didn’t you continue what you were saying? And why do you seem distracted?”

“And… I-I have s-something to say.” He muffled.

“Well, what is it?” I cupped his face to make him look me in the eye. His drowsy eyes look so cute… wait, what am I thinking?! I mentally slapped myself for thinking of that.

“Uh… Well, you know… I have…” He stuttered as he tried to speak.

“What?” I looked at him in confusion.

“I have a… !#!@$... long time now.” He whispered the words so fast that I wasn’t able to get most of it.

“What? Will you please speak a bit slower and make it audible for me to hear?” I demanded.

“I said… I have… h-have a crush on you… for… a long time now…” My hands fell to my side and my eyes widen.

“H-hyung… I’m your chi…” He said softly.

“Uhh… yeah. Sehun, I think… I think I have to go now.” I didn’t wait for his answer and ran to the opposite side. My heart was beating so fast, I thought I would have a heart attack. My palms were sweating and my breathing was heavy. I felt bad for leaving Sehun behind when he was still about to say something but my head just couldn’t process what he said a while ago and I panicked.

 

I went back home still a bit dazed about what happened. I took a cold shower to calm my head, and my heart for that matter. After showering, I quickly went to my bed and tried to sleep but Sehun’s words keep repeating in my head that I could stay still for a minute. I didn’t know what time I was finally able to sleep but I knew it was a little later than 3AM.

 

The moment I woke up, I winced in pain. My head was aching and my vision was fuzzy. I waited for my vision to come back to normal before turning to my bedside table to look at the time.

! It’s 2:13PM! I’m late for Sehun’s graduation!

The thought of Sehun waiting for me at the front gate of his school made me move as fast I could. I took a bath in just five minutes and dressed for only a minute. I took out the carton of milk from the refrigerator and drank from it straight. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and hurried to the front door. After putting on my shoes, I got on my car for the first time in a month. I was so lazy to take my car to school so I opted for walking but this was a moment I shouldn’t be lazy so I drove the car as fast as I could to Sehun’s high school without causing an accident.

I arrived at his high school in fifteen minutes and I scanned the place for his face. The graduation has ended a few hours ago and there were only a few students left. I could not see the familiar mushroom hair anywhere and almost gave up when an idea popped in my mind.

“Excuse me.” I said to the boy who was a few inches away from me.

“Y-yes?” He looked at me suspiciously.

“I’m looking for a student named Sehun, hmm… I don’t know his family name. Do you know him?” I asked the boy and his face seem to lighten up.

“Oh, Sehun? You mean, Sehun the mushroom head?” I smiled brightly and nodded, expecting him to point out where Sehun was.

“Sehun went home. He just left a while ago.” My smile dropped to a frown and sighed.

“I… I could give you his number if you want.” He proposed.

“Really? Thank you!” I almost hugged the boy but decided not to.

“Here.” He wrote Sehun’s number in a piece of paper and handed it to me.

“Thanks!” I said before returning to my car to go home. I passed by the café and considered on checking Sehun there but since it was his graduation, I assumed he wasn’t there.

 

The moment I arrived home, I checked the piece of paper the boy gave me and saved Sehun’s number. I sent him a message saying “Congratulations on your graduation!!! From your hyung, Lu Han” before realizing that I should’ve just called. So I tried calling him but got no answer. I waited for his reply but still, no answer. I thought back on what happened yesterday and thought that he might be avoiding me right now. I sulked for the rest of the day and watched some cheesy American movie until I fell asleep.

 

“Sehun-ah!” I called out the moment I arrived at the café next day. Instead of being welcomed by Sehun, I was greeted by the manager.

“Oh, Lu Han! It’s nice to see you. You didn’t go here yesterday.” The manager said.

“I-I had things to do yesterday. Where’s Sehun? Is he late today?” I asked, looking around the café for him

“Didn’t you know?” He asked.

I titled my head in confusion. “What?”

“He’s on leave for the week. He went back to his hometown with his parents yesterday. It was his graduation yesterday so he went here to celebrate with the staff and his family, then he asked permission to go back home for a week.” He explained to me while I look at him speechless. I knew I should’ve dropped by here yesterday!

“Oh, really? Then… where does he live? I have something very important to tell him.” I asked him while thinking of what I really wanted to tell Sehun. I wanted to see him but I didn’t know what I would be saying once that happens.

“Oh, he lives in Gwangju. Wait… I have his address here. Are you going to go see him?” I froze as the manager went to the employees’ room. He lives in Gwangju, that was where I came from. I lived in Gwangju until we moved to Seoul when I was eleven.

The manager showed up again, holding a piece of paper together with a picture. “Here’s his address. And can you give this to him for me? He dropped this yesterday when he was packing his things.”

He gave the paper and picture to me and I gulped as I saw who was in the picture. It was me and my childhood friend… Se… Sehun. Sehun was my childhood friend all along! How could I not have noticed?!

I quickly left the café without saying goodbye and hopped onto my car. I threw the paper and photograph to the passenger seat and drove outside the city. I knew where I needed to go without looking at the paper because I still remember where Sehun lived. It took me four hours to arrive in Gwangju and a nostalgic feeling came over me. It was the first time I ever went back to Gwangju and almost everything looked different from memories. I slowed down to take in the sight of the city I onced lived in. It wasn’t even a metropolitan city back then, Gwangju was the capital of Jeollanam-do back then.

I was almost to the street of Sehun’s house when I saw my old elementary school, our old school. I parked the car outside the school and walked inside. It still looked the same except for the main building that was now in a different shade of blue. I walked over to the playground to reminisce when I saw a figure sitting on one of the swings. His back was facing me but I knew who it was. It was Sehun, my dear playmate when I was nine, my beloved brother when I was ten and my cherished love when I was eleven. If I hadn’t moved to the city, what would we be right now? Would we still be brothers or would we have become something else? I guess it’s not too late to find out. So I quietly placed myself behind him and hugged him tightly. I felt the boy beneath me froze.

“Who…” He turned around only to have his lips captured by mine. He looked shocked but soon relaxed as he saw it was me. He turned around so that he could get more comfortable and he s his hands around my waist as I rested my hands on his shoulders. He broke from the kiss to get some air and to look at me once again. His face suddenly hardened.

“What are you doing here?” He coldly asked.

“I-I’m here to… apologize.” I whispered.

“What do you have to apologize for? You didn’t do anything. You just left a poor in the middle of the night while he was confessing his feelings for you, that’s all.” He sarcastically said.

“I know, I know. I was wrong to do that.” I tried to hold his hands but he backed off.

“Sehun-ah… I’m so sorry. I just… I was confused, okay? I didn’t know what I was feeling for you back then. I thought it was just brotherly love, and I thought I was straight. I’ve only had one crush in my life… and that was you.” I confessed, blushing as I realized I just told him I liked him.

“W-what do you mean?” He now moved closer, his eyes mixed with confusion and wonder.

“I liked you, Sehun. My childhood friend, Oh Sehun.” I looked up to meet his gaze and smiled brightly.

“Y-you like me?” He blinked.

“Yes, I like you. I like you a lot. So please, forgive me, okay?” This time, I successfully held his hands and pulled him closer to me.

“I like you too, hyung!” He embraced me so tight I couldn’t breathe but it didn’t matter… because now, I was being hugged by the one person I’ve always wanted to hug me.

 

“So… what do you say about getting some coffee from Starbucks?” I suggested when Sehun finally decided to stop hugging me, he still had his arms around me though.

“Hmm… I’m not in the mood for coffee right now, hyung. I’ve been too addicted to bubble milk tea.” He chuckled.

“Then bubble milk tea, it is.” I dragged him out of the school and into my car.

 

We reminisced our childhood as we drank bubble milk tea happily in my car. We were back to being hyung and dongsaeng in no time but I know… there were sparks flying around in every corner of my car. I finally found out what love is.

 

 

 

A/N: Yehey! I finished another HunHan twoshot~! Off to the next one! :))
Thank you for all those people who subscribed and commented~! I appreciate everything you've done for me!!! :3
And before I forget, the reason for me doing this fanfic:
aznmusiklife~! Happy Birthday~!!! HunHan loves you~  And so do I. ^.^