First Encouter...?

Coffee-laced Romance

 

Sehun's POV

 

"Good morning, Sir. What would you like to order?"

 

Today was my first day at work and everything had been turning out okay so far. This man in front of me is my 9th customer and he looked quite friendly. He smiled as he said his order and gave me his payment. I bowed to him as he slowly leaves the cafe. I heard the door open again and with a big smile on my face, I greeted the next customer. "Good morning. What wo---"

A pretty boy was standing in front of me now, with a smile plastered on his face. I had no words to describe how beautiful this boy was, just strikingly beautiful. But that wasn't what stopped me from speaking. He looked familiar, like I've met him before but I doubted that since there wasn't any pretty boy back in my province. The only boy that came any close to the description of pretty was me, since they say I’m quite girly for a guy.  Almost all of my friends were so manly and tough that I looked like an elementary student beside them.

“Excuse me.” The boy in front of me coughed, trying to get my attention. I shook my head before smiling again and asked for his order.

“I would like a Java Chip Frap, please. Venti, light whip.” He said before searching for his wallet to give me his payment.

“Thank you. Please wait at the side for your drink.” He smiled before turning to sit at a table near the counter.

As he was lounging on the table, I took quick glances at him. I really felt some connection the moment I met him, like we were friends before but I can’t put a finger on it. I didn’t realize that I was already engrossed in watching the pretty boy. I noticed how he sips his drink like a five year old kid, how he flips the pages of the book he was reading and sighing when he probably can’t understand what he read, how he looks at the time like he was waiting for something. It did not take long when he stood up from his seat, breaking me from my trance. I said goodbye to which he smiled at before leaving.

 

After work was finished, I decided to go home immediately. I recalled that my overacting mother put my old photo album inside my bag when I was leaving off for high school in the big city. I rummaged through the boxes in the storage room before finally finding the album. I went to the living room to look at each picture, trying to look for the pretty face I saw at work. I flipped some more before my eyes caught someone. I flipped back one page to see a picture of me as a child with my childhood friend, Lu Han. He was of Chinese and Korean descendants who stayed in Korea. He was my friend and my brother but everything buried into deep memories the moment his family moved to the city. We lost contact and slowly, I forgot I ever had a friend named Lu Han. I glanced at our picture, smiling sadly.

How I wish to see Lu Han right now. I fell asleep on the couch while I was reminiscing my childhood with Lu Han.

 

The next day, I got to work earlier than usual. I helped out prepare the café before its opening at 8:00 in the morning.

“Hey, Sehun. Can you put these boxes in the storage room?” The manager asked.

“Oh, sure.” I grabbed the boxes from his hands and put it inside the storage room. I wiped the tables before preparing myself in the counter.

The moment the café opened, the pretty boy I saw yesterday entered. He must be a frequent customer here since most of the staff nodded to him as he sat down by the window.

“Excuse me.” He waved a hand at me and I walked over to his table.

“Yes, sir?” I asked. I took a glimpse at his bag and saw a couple of books which were probably used in college.

“Can I have some water?” He smiled, making my heart dance in joy. His smile was so sweet that it could fill my stomach.

“O-oh, s-sure. Please wait for a while.” I stuttered as I tried to calm myself.

I put a glass of water in his table and turned to go back to the counter but he stopped me from my tracks. “Hey.”

“Y-yes? Do you need anything else, sir?” I was able to mutter.

“No, I don’t need anything. I’ve never seen you here before, you’re new?” I nodded.

“Why don’t you sit down and have a chat with me?” He offered the chair in front of him.

“What?” I gasped in shock.

“Don’t worry about being scolded, I’m a frequent customer here so they wouldn’t mind me taking up some of your time. And there’s no customer but me around.” He insisted.

I sighed and sat on the chair opposite his. We stayed silent for a few minutes and just kept taking glances of each other, smiling sheepishly whenever our eyes met.

“So… what’s your name?” He started.

“S-Sehun.”

“Se…hun? Nice to meet you, Sehun. I’m Lu Han.” My eyes widen from shock as his name rang a bell in my head. He was Lu Han, my childhood friend. The friend who promised to teach me how to dance when we were kids. The friend who I depended on whenever I was alone or in pain. The friend I believed to be my soul mate as my feelings developed for him. The friend who told me he would never leave but left anyways. I wanted so much to tell him that it was me, his childhood friend Sehun but decided against it because I wanted him to realize himself who I was so I just smiled at him.

We spent an hour there just chatting about each other when the café started to get busy. I excused myself to go back to work and he left the café, saying he has classes at 9:30. I half-focused on my work as I recall every conversation we had this morning. He is a second year college student at Yonsei University which is just a few blocks from here and this café is his favorite place during his free time. He is, from what I observed during our conversations, still the same as when we were children. He is a bubbly and active person, someone who could make anyone feel comfortable the moment he talks to you. He also loves eating just about anything, as long as it’s edible. He is bad when it comes to science subjects but he is good in languages. I cannot believe that I found out so many things about him in a span of one hour and he even told me to continue our chat tomorrow when he gets here. I smiled at the thought of seeing Lu Han… hyung again tomorrow. I almost forgot that he was basically four years older than me. I’m graduating from high school in just a week while he’s a second year university student.

 

I got home late as usual and prepared my things for tomorrow. I had no classes anymore but tomorrow, I would be going to school to pass some requirements needed to graduate. I took a bath after and as soon as I finished dressing, I dozed off.

 

“Sehun-ah!” A chirpy voice said from behind while I was making a Java Chip Frappuccino, specially made for my Lu Han hyung.

“Hyung! You’re so early today.” I told him, giving him my freshly made frap.

“Wow, thank you. I’m here early because I wanted to chat with you.” He beamed, making my heart skip a beat.

“R-really?” I must’ve looked like an idiot when I smiled because Lu Han chuckled.

“You’re so cute. I want you to be my dongsaeng!” He ruffled my hair before sitting in his favorite place.

“So where were we yesterday? Were we talking about your dream job?” He said as I sat down beside him.

“Yeah. I want to be professional barista.” I proudly said.

“Wow, that’s a nice job. You love coffee, don’t you?” He eagerly asked.

“Yeah, I love coffee. When I was a kid, my mother took me to the city every month to buy stuff for the house and we would end up buying two Venti Frappuccino from Starbucks, one for me and one for her, and some packs of different flavored coffee blends. I was addicted to coffee even as a child, I’d rather drink coffee than drink milk.” I smiled as I thought back on my monthly visit to Seoul with my mother. I miss home, I miss my parents,  I miss my friends back home. But I endured this missing because I chose to study in the city and in a week, I’ll be able to see them again.

“Wow. I remember someone like you. He’s been a coffee lover ever since he was a kid. Wait… who was he again?” He tapped a finger on his lips, trying to remember something. My name, perhaps? “Who was he again? Gosh. I can’t put a finger on it. It’s at the back of my head.”

He forgot my name. I can’t believe he forgot my name. I thought as I look at his deliberating face, trying to recall.

“Never mind. Anyways, you’re graduating in a week, right? Can I come to your graduation?” Lu Han hyung looked at me with his puppy eyes. My disappointment in him melted as soon as his eyes caught mine.

“Uh… Sure, sure.” I nodded.

Then an idea came into my head. I would confess to Lu Han hyung before my graduation. I would tell him that I remember him and that I have been waiting for him to come back ever since the day he left. I would tell him all the hidden feelings that have been accumulated in my heart for so long and that I hope I could get a chance to show it to him. I was so excited that I didn’t catch what Lu Han hyung was telling me.

“…oring. I mean, who would want to stay in that class. Right, Sehun? Sehun…?”

“Oh… huh? You were saying?” I blinked.

“I said, our biology professor is so boring and who would want to stay in the class. What are you thinking, Sehun? You seem distracted.” He looked directly at me, concern obvious in his eyes.

“Nothing, nothing. I’m just thinking of graduation.” He shook my head.

My mind went back to normal and so did our conversation. After an hour, Lu Han hyung said goodbye and went to school while I went back to the counter to work.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Here's the first part! I hope it did not disappoint you. I'll be working on the second part later, after I get some sleep. 
Do comment and make my heart happy, please? :)) Any comment will do, I'm happy with anything. ^.^
Thanks for reading~! I love you~!!! <3