Fair Weather Follows Foul

Splitting the Difference

"Jo YoungMin."

"Mom? Who is that? Why are you crying?"

"His grandmother is a psychotic woman.  She and your good-for-nothing, stupid grandfather had an affair behind your grandmother's back.  Mrs. Jo tried to kill your grandmother, and I'm afraid something might happen to you!"

My mom continued to cry.  I hugged her and comforted her. 

"Mom, I'm the female captain of the boys' varsity soccer team at SPAHS (Seoul Performing Arts High School).  If any of the Jos try to do something bad to me, they'll be in the hospital."

She sobbed harder.  Taecyeon walked in.  His mouth opened and he looked at us questioningly.  

"LATER," I mouthed.  

Taecyeon nodded and went upstairs to his room.  My mom's mascara was all over her face and all over my soccer uniform.

"Mom, stop crying," I said gently, "Your makeup is smearing.  Don't worry about me.  I'll be fine.  Come on, let's go to the bathroom and clean you up.  Take a shower.  Everything will be fine.  I'll cook dinner tonight, okay?  Go and rest."

She nodded and left.  She went upstairs.  I chuckled to myself.  Usually, it's the other way around : her comforting me.  But I guess this time, it's my turn.  I feel touched, though.  She must care about me a lot.  She never cries.  

Taecyeon comes downstairs.  

"What was that all about?" he whispers.

"I'm getting married." 

"WAIT.. WHAT??!!" 

"I'm getting married," I repeat, calmly.

"To who?" 

"I'm not sure who he is, but his name is Jo YoungMin."

"THE KPOP STAR???"

"OMO ~ WHAT DID I JUST HEAR?" 

"MINA ~ WHAT KIND OF GIRL ARE YOU?? Jo YoungMin is a vocalist in the band, BOYFRIEND... They debuted about a month ago with their hit single!!!! UGH ... HOW CAN YOU BE MY SISTER?!?!?! I'm Koo Taecyeon, the main rapper of 2PM, and you don't even know who BOYFRIEND is.  Do you even know who SNSD is?"

I stared at my older brother blankly.

"Uhhh.... SNSD ... Give me a hint.. Hmm.... Is that one person or a bunch of people?"

"DEAR GOODNESS..  You choreograph dances and write songs for the groups.  You even work with them sometimes!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT THESE GROUPS?" 

"But I'm kind of worried.  I've never seen this 'Jo YoungMin' character before... What does he look like?  Can he play soccer?  I really don't want to get married to him, though.  He could be a complete jerk,"

"MINA.. DID YOU EVER THINK... UGH. Sometimes, your incredibly brilliant.  Then, there are times like this, when you act like you don't have a brain.  The YoungMin we met yesterday... Did you ever think HE might be that YoungMin?"

I burst out laughing.

"Taecyeon.. That blonde kid is JO YOUNGMIN OF BOYFRIEND???  He's so.. uncharismatic. HAHAHAHA"

Taecyeon was glaring at me.

"Wait.. Taec... You're serious?" 

"Dear Goodness help me," Taecyeon muttered.

"I HEARD THAT." 

My father walked in the door.  He had a distraught look on his face.  

"Mina!" my father called.

"Dad!" I yelled back and hugged him tightly.  He had just come back from work. 

"Oh, Mina.  I'm sorry about this.  About ALL of this.  I didn't mean for you to get married.  YoungMin's dad is a very powerful man.  He wants our companies to merge, and if they don't, then he'll take our company away from us.  You see, your grandfather made a few... mistakes while he was running the company.  And YoungMin's father is threatening to sue our company for those...mistakes."

"Dad, it's okay."

"Where's your mother?"

"Upstairs.  She looks like this : T_T, so be careful, Dad.  She might explode on you."

"Thanks for the warning."

"Fair weather follows foul."