3.

broken pieces

She turned her head slightly and let out a whoosh of air between her parted lips. The night was descending steadily and she could hear the loud chatter and laughter inside the house. She learned forward and glanced up at the sky with a slight smile on her face. It was moments was this that cleared her mind and her thoughts made her feel sane.

It was supposed to be a happy day, It was Bom's engangement party. but why does she feels the other way round? Was it because she bumped into Jiyong earlier? Was it the fact that Jiyong was trying to talk to her all night bothers her while she was trying to avoid him? She didn't know either.

The door behind her creaked and opened, accompanied by a pair of footsteps echoing on the wooden porch. She felt her back tense before she forced herself to relax.

"Can I join you? I don't seem to be enjoying the crowds and the loud music," came his relaxed, husky voice, as she felt her heart skipped a beat. she smell his faint cologne,shampoo and his own personal musky scent that made her insides turned all warm. That familiar scent.. it made her realize how much she had missed him. She gripped the porch railing tighter,as if her life depended on it, and she was already smiling when she turned her head to face him.

"Sure, why not? Join me."

She felt herself stiffened once more when his arm suddenly brush hers, making her heart beat ally with the sudden contact. He still does have that effect on her.

"Why do you keep avoidng me?" She heard him ask. Her heart sank at his question. There was a pinch of sadness and dissapointment in his voice, but she just couldn't figure it out why he's acting like this. It was so unlike him to be so attached to her.

"I wasn't avoiding you. Maybe I'm just not ready to comeback - to face everyone.. to face you," The last word came as a whisper but it was enough for him to hear it.

"Why did you leave - after that night when you told me I was free? I don't understand,"

"And, you never will understand, Ji."

Silence enveloped between them. and she was dying to get out of these awkward situation between them. She just couldn't understand why he's acting like he cared.

"I confessed to Yoona,"

She felt her heart sank. The words repeated in her mind again and again. She should've thought. She didn't want to hear this. 'What if he's actually married to Yoona now?' She couldn't help but ask herself.

"But it turned out that she's in love with somebody else. I was so heartbroken that night. It was the same night when you left and set me free. God knows how badly I needed someone to be with, someone to talk to - you weren't there. I tried to look for you, but you left - without a word,"

It took her minutes to digest what he had just said. "Why are you telling me this, Kwon Jiyong?"

"I just want you to know, I miss you. I miss my bestfriend,"

Bestfriend. She was dissapointed on how Jiyong still addressed her as his bestfriend when they've been together before.

"You still can't say the three words, do you?"

"Why are you so desperate to hear those stupid 3 words, Dara? We were bestfriends, We got together, we broke up and here we are meeting after 3 years..  now we're acting like we're some kind of strangers. but you still badly want to hear that stupid meaningless words!"

"Oh well, I hope we can remain as strangers!" She yelled and bit her lips to supress her anger.

"I hate you, Kwon Jiyong." She muttered.