Drabble One

Nameless Secrets

Characters: SeHun / LuHan / Kai


He didn't know how long he had been there. He doesn't know what time of day it is, nor have the thoughts to differ the moments of dawn and dusk.

Because everything stayed the same; nothing changed.

The sky was forever gray, as an expanse of dry land surrounded his vision. He sat on a wooden chair, its intricate carvings long forgotten, and stares straight ahead; enough to watch both the heavens and earth.

Eons ago, when he had first received his instructions, he took pride and honour in his new assignment. His eyes gleamed with authority and satisfaction, as a constant quirk would be seen at the ends of his lips. He walked with humility and dignified contentment, the anticipation bubbling in his chest and unable to be contained.

But now, he didn't know if this was a blessing or a curse; if this was a reward or a punishment. 
It didn't take long for him to realize the part that he was to play in keeping The Balance. It didn't take long for the light in his eyes to fade; to dismiss his past and denounce his worth. Or to let his grievance and judgement of the Leaders die away.

It did, however, take time for him to erase his memories.


The warmth and laughter that surrounded his past only pained him. He didn't want to remember the feelings of happiness and compassion. It only emphasized all the things that he has lost.

He understood now, the look that LuHan gave him when he told the elder boy about his new status. Anguish: it outlined LuHan's warm brown eyes like a fog. And now, all that's left is regret. 
He should've noticed the lingering touch of the tender hand against his cheek. Or the hesistant gaze that stared into his. Or how the light reflected off the glistening eyes.

But it's too late.

Blinking once, he snaps out of his reverie. He quickly kills the expanding void in his chest; right over his heart, and shifts his gaze as a new breeze ruffles his hair.

"How long?" he whispers.

Black wisps of smoke surround the lean body, as equally black eyes glisten with secrets.

"Not too long," Kai, the novice envoy, replies.

It was always the same question. And the same answer.

Kai scans his surroundings, taking in the gray of the sky, the empty stretch of land, and the constant wind that revolved around the boy; his friend. He vaguely remembers the shy smiles and the playful gleam that the boy was once full of. He remembers how he was naturally drawn to the positive energy that the boy emitted, much like everyone else. But now, only lonlieness and suffering shrouds his entire body, and it makes Kai want to turn his eyes away.

But he doesn't. Because he had his own duties.

A butterfly appears somewhere behind him, and Kai watches as it flutters towards the boy; landing gently on the back of one of the fingers. It's wings beat slowly, a warm greeting.

"We are one," Kai murmurs in farewell, a line that has always brought conflicting emotions in himself.

If they were one, then why, when one of them is in pain, none of them are allowed to help...

Kai doesn't miss the look of sorrow that briefly flashed in the ash brown eyes. He knew why and to whom that mourning was directed to. Not wanting to watch his friend as he departs, Kai turns sharply on the back of his heels. 
Unable to suppress the frown, a line mars Kai's brows; it was a single motion of frustration and apology. As he collects his breath and prepares to leave, unexpected words pierce through his black haze.

"If you see him," a pause, "tell him I'm doing fine."

Liar.

Kai doesn't respond, and just stands there as his black mist slowly builds up around him. Without any warning, his shoulders relax, and he disappears as quickly as he appeared.

SeHun, sitting calmly on his chair, doesn't ponder whether that was a sure, I'll tell him or a no, I'm sorry. He simply shifts his gaze back to staring at the contrasting sky and ground. And his hands stay immobile on his lap, the butterfly moving its wings now and then as a reminder.

He doesn't lament or grieve.

Nor does he wail from madness and abhorrence.

He merely sits. And continues his duty in keeping The Balance.

 


Sacrifice; to relinquish one valued object to sustain the power of many.

-end