5. Questions

Better Left Unknown

 

Jessica walks into class with an annoyed look on her face. Surprisingly there weren’t many students, since she was a bit earlier than usual. She walks over to her desk and glances over to see Yuri in her seat already. She drops her bag and lets out a big sigh.

“Sica, you look a bit distressed. What’s up?” Yuri stops what she is writing and looks at Jessica. She turns to face her. Jessica looks a bit pale, Yuri can tell she hasn’t been getting much sleep and has been overworking again.

“Yul, she won’t stop texting during our tutoring sessions! It’s beginning to irritate me.” Jessica starts to get her folder and notebook out. She slams it on the table; she hasn’t been getting much sleep due to her overtime at work, and coming home to finish up her homework made her cranky.

“Who? Tiffany? Do you know who she’s always texting?” Yuri couldn’t help but laugh a little.

“Yes Tiffany, and no, I couldn’t care less anyway. But in all seriousness, I just want to chuck her phone out of the window.” Jessica gestures towards the window on the other side of the class.  

“That’s a bit mean, Sica. She is probably texting one of her friends or something. You know how superficial they are.” Yuri rolls her eyes.

“I know that’s mean, but still and yeah, probably. She had the nerve to leave early one time as well! What was that about? Okay, I’m wasting an hour of my free time, which I barely have, to tutor you and you leave early? No, it doesn’t work that way. Do you know how pissed I was?” Jessica slumps in her chair, crosses her arms and feet and stares down at her notebook.

“I can imagine; what’d she say when she had to leave?”  Yuri knows Jessica mad wasn’t a pretty sight. She’s surprised Jessica hasn’t gone up to Tiffany during school at all. The only times she sees Tiffany is during their tutoring session.

“It was just like ‘but this urgent,’ something along those lines.” Jessica uses her fingers to quote.

Yuri snickers. “That’s funny.”

“I bet she doesn’t even appreciate me doing this like she says she does, and why does she need my help anyway? She could just ask her friends to help her, can’t she?”

“I don’t know. Didn’t Mrs. Shin ask you to tutor her? Maybe she has too much pride to ask her friends to tutor her—remember she’s the ASB president. Also remember you’re getting paid for this, so you should be grateful. Krystal’s hospital bill isn’t low, and you don’t have much cash, so this is a good opportunity. Now you don’t have to be working overtime every day.” Yuri looks at Jessica with sad eyes, she knows how hard it must be for her, and wishes to help, but doesn’t know what to do. She just wants Jessica to rest more.

Jessica scoffs. “Some president she is. But I know, Yul. The main reason why I’m even doing this is for the money to help Krystal. Still, she’s so irritating.” Jessica uses her hands to rub her temples.

“How long do you have to tutor her for?”

Jessica thinks for a second or so.

“I don’t know. Mrs. Shin didn’t say, but it’s whatever I guess. Like you said, I need the money, so I guess I have to it up.” Jessica lets out another sigh.

The bell rings and students start filing in. Yuri turns to face the board as Jessica starts to write in her notebook.

 

**

 

Jessica had just finished her tutoring session with Tiffany. Surprisingly, she received a phone call from her boss who told her that she had the day off due to something about a lighting problem. She had finished all of her homework and decided to go see Krystal. Jessica rides to the hospital and walks up to Krystal’s room. She knocks lightly on the door before opening it.

“Krystal-ah, are you sleeping?” Jessica walks in.

Krystal glances up from the magazine she was reading that one of the nurses brought her.

“Unnie! No, I’m not tired yet. Don’t you have work?” Krystal smiles, she loves seeing her older sister.

“No I don’t have work today.” Jessica walks over to the chair besides Krystal and sits down, pulling an object out of her bag.

“Omo! Is that a Rubik’s Cube?” Krystal’s eyes widen. She has always wanted to try solving one.

“Yes, I brought it for you so you can have something to do. Enjoy!” Jessica hands the cube to her sister and pats her head. She can’t help but smile whenever she sees her.  Get well soon, Krystal-ah.

“How’s school, Unnie? Do you have any interesting stories to tell me today?” Krystal loves listening to her Unnie talk and tell stories to her. She didn’t see Jessica often because of work, but she loved every moment she can spend with her.

“Well,” Jessica begins and smiles at the excitement she sees in Krystal’s eyes.

 

**

 

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany shouts from a few feet away from Taeyeon.

Taeyeon glances in her direction with her peripheral vision and stops suddenly in front of her opponent. With a few huffs, she brings her right foot back, ready to send the ball flying. Her opponent readies herself for the kick, but it never comes. Instead, Taeyeon sends the ball to her left where Tiffany stood.

Reacting quickly, Tiffany sprints forward with the ball dribbling with her feet. Her eyes dart to her right and she kicks the ball back to Taeyeon. The shorter of the two sticks her left foot out to stop the ball, but before the ball even touches her foot, an opponent runs forward to steal the ball, bumping into Taeyeon’s shoulder at the same time. Unfortunately, that caused Taeyeon to lose her balance. With her left foot still sticking out, Taeyeon falls to her side, her ankle twisting in the process.

“Ack!” Taeyeon cries out. Movement on the field comes to a halt as the coach rushes toward Taeyeon’s crouching form. Tiffany arrives to Taeyeon first, her eyes with worry and her eyebrows scrunched together.

“Taeyeon-ah, are you okay?!” she frantically asks.

Taeyeon groans and shakes her head. Her two hands clutch her left ankle and she bites her bottom lip to distract herself from the pain in her ankle.

“Oh my gosh, Taeyeon unnie! I’m so sorry,” the opponent apologizes.

Taeyeon nods in acknowledgement, not really caring about who caused this.

“Kim, do you think it’s broken?” the coach asks as she kneels down beside Taeyeon.

“I don’t know,” Taeyeon answers, her voice strained. “But it hurts a lot. Maybe I twisted it or sprained it.”

The coach nods and turns his attention to Tiffany. “Hwang, take Kim to the infirmary and have the nurse take a look at it. If needed, I’ll drive her to the hospital myself.”

Tiffany winces from the pained expression on Taeyeon’s face. “Coach, I think I’ll drive her to the hospital right now. It would save the trouble of having to get it checked by the nurse first.”

“I’m the coach; I can’t possibly allow you two to go alone.”

“It’s fine, Coach. Practice must go on,” Tiffany insists. The coach contemplates for a moment and nods his head.

“All right then. I expect you two to come back in one piece tomorrow.”

Tiffany nods and the two help Taeyeon up from her position to her functional foot. Tiffany maneuvers herself to the left of Taeyeon’s body and slings Taeyeon’s arm over her shoulder as they limp off the field.

“Aish, seriously Taetae, you need to be more careful,” Tiffany scolds as they reach her car.

“Gee, thanks for your care, Miyoung,” Taeyeon replies sarcastically.

Tiffany smiles sheepishly. “Sorry, it’s just that you should know that some of our teammates can get very competitive when playing.”

Taeyeon carefully situates herself into the passenger seat. “Yeah, I think I know that by now.”

“Just be careful from now on, okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, just get me to the hospital already.”

Tiffany sighs and closes the passenger door. “Bossy as always,” she mutters.

 

**

 

Taeyeon swings her gauzed foot back and forth as she sits on the patient bed.

“So,” Tiffany begins. “Her ankle isn’t broken?”

The man in a white coat shakes his head. “Just sprained,” he answers. “She will have to stay on crutches for at least two weeks, though. I’ll prescribe her some pain killers that she will have to take three times a day.” He turns to face Taeyeon. “Remember to ice your ankle as much as you can, all right?” Taeyeon nods obediently. “And stay off your left foot. No need to add any more pressure to it.”

Taeyeon nods once more and Tiffany thanks the doctor before he walks out the door.

“Are you okay now?” Tiffany asks as she closes the door and places a duffle bag onto the bed.

“Yup.” Taeyeon eyes Tiffany as she s her bag. “What are you doing?”

“I have a meeting in an hour or so.”

“Ah, I see. Are you going to shower here?”

Tiffany nods. “Thank God your room has a shower. I’ll be back in a few.”

 

**

 

After about ten minutes of showering, Tiffany walks back into Taeyeon’s room in her Michaa white blouse and styleOsanda tiered mini skirt along with a towel draped around her neck.

“Did the doctor come by with the note yet?”

Taeyeon nods and holds up a slip of paper with a scribbled prescription on it.

“Good. You ready to go?”

“Yes, but my dad came to pick me up since you have a meeting.”

Tiffany shakes her head. “It’s fine, really. I won’t be late or anything.”

“No, it’s okay. I’ve bothered you enough.”

Tiffany walks over to Taeyeon and slaps her shoulder lightly. “We’re best friends, Taeyeon. Don’t say that.”

“Then thanks.”

“No problem. Is your dad coming soon?”

“Actually, he’s already here, but he’s getting me something to drink right now.”

As Taeyeon says that, a man walks into the room. Tiffany immediately bows. “Good evening, Mr. Kim.”

“Aigoo, you make me feel old, Tiffany. Call me Dad, remember?”

Tiffany laughs and her eyes curve into crescents. “Good evening, Dad.”

“That’s more like it. Are you ready to go, Taeyeon?”

Mr. Kim hand Taeyeon her crutches and assists her out the door. “Thanks again, Fany-ah.”

“Again, it was nothing, Taetae. Remember to ice your ankle.”

“Thanks for taking care of my daughter, Miyoung. You’re like a daughter to me, you know that?”

Tiffany smiles gratefully. She wishes that her own father could say things like that to her, but she doesn’t know when that day will come—if it will even come.

“Drive home safely,” she reminds and waves them off.

 

**

 

Tiffany glances at her watch as she strolls the hallways of the hospital. “I have about twenty minutes to spare before I have to leave for the conference,” she mumbles to herself.

She leans against a wall and sighs. A nap would sound great, but she knows that once she closes her eyes, she might not open them in time for the conference, so she decides against it.

Her eyes close for a moment and she hears conversations around the hallway.

“Are you here to give me my sponge bath?” she hears an old lady croak.

“Uh, n-no ma’am. I’m here to give you your daily pills.”

Tiffany laughs and her ears pick up another conversation.

“Yes, that’s what happened!”

“What?! No way, Unnie! You’re lying.”

“I would never lie.”

Tiffany opens her eyes at the sound of the familiar voice. Her mind races to link the familiar voice to a face.

“Fine, don’t believe me, but I have to go now, Krys. It’s getting late.”

“Awh, okay then. Bye, Unnie! I’ll miss you,” she hears a young girl say.

The owner of the familiar voice walks out the door and Tiffany’s eyes widen when she realizes that it the person was her very own student tutor—Jessica.

“Bye, Krystal. Sleep early, okay?”

“Of course.”

Jessica walks off in the other direction and Tiffany stands frozen in her spot as questions and thoughts race through her head.

 

 

TBC

 

----

 

A/N:

Samantha : I hope we meet our quota with this chapter. ^^ Sorry for not replying on the previous chapter, I had to sleep early. I hope you guys don't mind Cayden's replies. Anyway, exams and homework are a big pain. I hope you guys all enjoy reading this chapter! It's a bit longer than our other chapters, but that's good right? hehe. o u o 

 

Ugh. Life. I hate this fanfic. Okay, well this chapter determines it all. If we don't meet our quota then we're calling quits. Maybe Sammy will continue it, but life is hectic as eff, so yeah. This update was a bit over 2k and we were about to split it, but we decided against it since this is our deciding chapter after all. And there's no picture for this update because homework is a pain in the and we have no time to find videos to gif.

With that, I'm leaving to do the homework I never started on.

Pyong, es.

<3

 

 

 

Replies:

Cayden

Sammy

 

windyheartsnsd - Awh, thanks. We didn't exactly take our time with this update, so sorry if it's not what you were hoping for. Maybe next time (if there is a next time, that is). Yeah we're only 16 ^^. You're too sweet, thank you so much! ♥

ellenrawrdragon - Depends. Enjoy this chapter. *u*

Summerlitez - Why did you caps lock 'cool'? But okay, thanks. Everyone judges quickly, that's life. Tiffany does have people there for her, like Taeyeon and Yoona. ^-^ I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter ~

Shea_luvSel - We can't double update. We can barely keep up with one update. But thanks for the comment. Haha you're on the right track! (': Sorry we won't be doing a double update for awhile. ^^

monkeymadness - Uh. Not sure if I should reply or not, but I don't want to, so no. I don't think I'm that nice, haha. Since you're 17, you're our Unnie right? o u o Exams are a pain. ): I had to sleep early, that's why Cayden had to update herself. ^^