3. First Impressions

Better Left Unknown

 

The final bell rings. Tiffany quickly piles her books and papers into her bag and walk out towards the math building. She reaches room 705 and walks in as Mrs. Shin finishes filing some papers into her shelf of folders.

“Miss Hwang, I’m glad you remember that you have tutoring. I will be out for a meeting, but Miss Jung should be here soon so just wait here.”

Tiffany nods. She goes to sit down at her desk just as her phone vibrates.

 

You must attend the 4:30 meeting. If you’re as much as one second late, we’re going to have a talk.  –Dad.

 

She lets out a long sigh, fishes out her statistics book, and starts to flip through the pages. She glances at the clock. 2:54PM. Tiffany skims through the text and her eyes start to droop. Mentally noting that she must be on time, Tiffany allows herself to doze off for a few seconds before Jessica comes to wake her up for the lesson.

 

**

 

Jessica closes her backpack and loops a strap over her left shoulder, ready to walk to the math building when her phone vibrates in her hand.

 

Dr. Lee Hyori

 

Jessica bites her lips as her thumb reaches to accept the call. “Hello?” she answers.

“Jessica,” the person on the line speaks. “It’s Krystal; you should come as soon as possible.”

Without hesitating, Jessica replies, “I’ll be there.”

Jessica sighs. Krystal, when will you get better? More problems keep piling up lately.

She feels her heart clench when she thinks of the young, fragile girl. Not wanting to waste any more time, Jessica hurries to her bike.

Jessica peddles across streets and nearly runs over a few stray cats in the area as she rushes to get to the hospital where her younger sister Krystal lays. Jessica reaches the main entrance of Samsung Medical Center and bolts up to the third floor, not bothering to use the elevator. She speed walks through the hallways until she is standing in front of a door with three familiar digits: 329. She takes a deep breath and opens the door. Jessica saw two nurses surrounding Krystal’s bed along with machines and Dr. Lee Hyori by her side.

“How is she?” Jessica asks a bit timidly.

Dr. Lee looks down at her folder and begins to jot a few notes down. “Her liver is beginning to fail. We believe that a virus has invaded her system.”

Jessica’s eyebrows draw together in deep thought. “I-Is there a way to get rid of it?”

The doctor lowers her clipboard to reveal her spectacled eyes and offers a smile. “Yes, and that’s why we had you come so we can have your permission to put her on necessary medication and treatment,” she explains. She leads Jessica out the door and closes it behind her before continuing. “However, we also need to make sure that you will be able to pay for it. We understand your situation, Jessica, and how you are working hard to help Krystal get her needed care. There is another way to save Krystal, but this is the quickest way to get it out.” She hands Jessica several pieces of paper.

Jessica mentally cringes when she sees the price, but she will do whatever it takes to save Krystal, her precious little sister. She will have to start saving up all of the money she receives and not spend it on anything unnecessary—not that she hasn’t been doing so in the first place—but she is willing to starve if it will save her a few bucks for Krystal.

“We’ll do whatever we can to help Krystal. For now, she just needs to rest.” Dr. Lee sends the nurses out, allowing Jessica to be alone with Krystal

Jessica walks over and sits by Krystal’s side.

She gives a cheerful smile, trying to make the situation seem less troubling than it really is. “Krystal-ah, I hope you can get well soon so you’ll be able to leave this dreadful place.”

Krystal reaches for Jessica’s hand.

“I’m sorry Jessica Unnie—for all the trouble I have caused.”

Jessica smiles. “Don’t worry about it.”

Krystal can’t help but feel guilty for the trouble she’s causing, for all Jessica has to do just to get her by.

“Anyway, how’s school? I hope you’re keeping out of trouble. How is Yuri Unnie?”

Jessica starts to ponder.

“Hmn, school is fine. I’m not getting into any trouble, so you have to be proud of me for that,” Jessica jokes and earns a laugh from Krystal. “Yuri is fine. Today she was telling me about the ASB president, Tif—Damn it! I completely forgot!” Jessica exclaims and frantically takes out her phone. 3:20PM.

If I go back now, it’ll be too late.

Krystal looks confused. “Huh? ASB president?”

Jessica groans and buries her face in her palms. “I had to stay after school every day for an hour to tutor the ASB president, Tiffany Hwang, and I completely forgot about it. She probably hates me now,” she sighs. “I’ll apologize to her tomorrow when I see her.

Krystal nods in understanding. “It’s okay, Unnie. No one would hate you.”

“You’d be surprised,” Jessica mutters. She glances at her watch and looks back at Krystal with caring eyes. “Krystal, I have to go to work now. I’ll come by tomorrow after my shift, okay?”

Krystal nods once more. “I’ll see you then, Unnie.” She leans into Jessica’s kiss on her forehead.

Jessica walks to the door and pauses by the doorframe. “Don’t go to bed too late, got it?”

“Got it.”

“Good girl. I love you.”

“I love you too, Unnie.”

**

 

Tiffany awakes with a startle. Quickly, she fishes her phone out of her pocket to check the time. 3:32PM. She rubs the sleepiness out of her eyes and glances around the room. No sign of Jessica... Did she even show up? Tiffany sighs and stands up out of her seat. “I guess I should go get ready for the meeting,” she says to herself before walking out the door.

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

----

 

 

 

A/N: Updated and replies are below. This chapter was originaly nearly 2k words, but since it's only one of the first chapters, Sammy and I decided to cut it in half. So like the first two chapters, this is part one.

Well all right. I have nothing else to say except for the fact that I'm going to do replies this week. Heh. Sammy's replies are in blue and mine are in gray. I'll be nice in the replies, I promise.

Oh and we might update the next update sooner. I'm thinking next Thursday.

And another thing (not that you guys read this) Sammy wants to say that we'll be posting individual fanfics soon... Yay~

Aight, well I'll say my goodbye now:

Pyong, es.

<3

 

- Cayden

 

 

Replies:

gray = Cayden

blue = Samantha

 

windyheartsnsd - Thanks for commenting. In all honesty, Sammy and I were going to give up on this fic if we didn't meet our quota, but your reply was nice to read. Thanks again. Awh you're really sweet! hehe *u* Sam is fine, but I prefer Sammy or Samantha ~ Cayden doesn't like people calling me 'Sam' for some reason. Thank you! Your comment is really sweet <3

JessFany293 - Thanks. Thank you! We'll do our best. heheh ^^

snsdforeverandmore - No. Thank youuuuu ~ 

franzii - Tiffany isn't a rebel. What are you talking about? Tiffany isn't a rebel ^^ ~ 

ertME - You'll see. Thank you! They'll meet soon. (':

monkeymadness - "Supposedly"? Lolk. And I know that Jessica and Tiffany have the wrong impression of each other. Who do you think wrote this? You'll get used to Cayden~ o u o 

LollyMez - How is she being taken advantaged of? She's not exactly being taken advantaged of... more like her father has a lot of expectations for her. ^^