Part 3

The Metal Box

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, excuse me," Sungmin apologizes softly, his head bowing slightly as he brushes past Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun stares at Sungmin's retreating figure, completely dumbstruck. It wasn't until Sungmin's figure disappears behind a corner that Kyuhyun's instincts kicks in and he starts running after Sungmin.

 

Sure in the eyes of an outsider, seeing a tall lanky man running out of breath on the streets is weird but Kyuhyun didn't care. He feels like he waited all of his life for this one opportunity and he was definitely not going to miss it. 

 

Kyuhyun finally sees Sungmin enter a neighbourhood and this is when Kyuhyun slows down and observes Sungmin with careful eyes.

 

Sungmin stops by a grocery store and comes out shortly with a plastic bag and merrily skips down the street. Kyuhyun continues to trail behind Sungmin, an amused grin spreading across his face. Kyuhyun gives a perplex face when Sungmin reaches into his bag and pulls out an apple to give to one of the neighbours.

 

Sungmin does this to everyone he sees while walking and they return their gratefulness with an uplifting smile. 

 

Suddenly, Sungmin turns around and Kyuhyun has no time to hide as their eyes meet for the second time today. Sungmin his head in confusion and approaches Kyuhyun.

 

"I live here," Kyuhyun quickly tries to find an explanation to how he happens to be in the same neighbourhood after they left the main part of the city only fifteen minutes ago. His body straightens up as Sungmin stops in front of him.

 

"I'm not going to question you," Sungmin giggles as he reaches into his bag again to pull an apple out. He takes Kyuhyun's hands and gently places the apple in it. "Have a nice day!"

 

Kyuhyun's heart flutters and he finds himself smiling again. How many times can one person smile in a day? he wonders to himself.

 

Kyuhyun stands there as he watches Sungmin's figure disappear down the road again.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun is sitting in Siwon's apartment and waits impatiently for Hyukjae's phone call. 

 

His phone vibrates and emits a faint light. Kyuhyun snatches his phone eagerly and presses answer. 

 

"What's the emergency?" Hyukjae asks.

 

"I have a plan and I need your help," Kyuhyun explains with little detail. 

 

"Well go on then, your slow approach into telling me isn't getting us anywhere," Hyukjae scoffs with a hearty laugh after.

 

Kyuhyun fiddles with the apple in his hand and clutches it tightly. "It's insane but…"

 

--

 

"Where are you off to now?" Heechul asks as they step out of the SendBill building, standing in front of the door to converse before they part ways.

 

The wind furiously blows at Sungmin's long hair and his fingers quickly makes way to keep his hair tamed. Sungmin shrugs, hands still holding onto his head. "I guess I'll just go home and watch some television for the rest of the day. It's a pretty relaxing week after all."

 

Heechul groans and punches Sungmin on the chest. "You always do that though! What happened to the uplifting bright you filled with the endless dreams I've met a few years ago?"

 

Sungmin blushes sheepishly and scratches his head. "I don't know what you're talking about. I do plenty of fun things."

 

"Whatever, don't come complaining to me when you're a lonely lost soul, sitting on the couch of your apartment with a bowl of popcorn and crying over romance movies because you don't get off your and go on an adventure or something," Heechul details in exaggeration.

 

Sungmin bites his lips anxiously and rolls his eyes. "Go away, I'll talk to you later."

 

"Mhm, bye Min!" Heechul bids farewell, turning on his heels and struts away.

 

Sungmin laughs at the sight of his best friend and turns around and bumps into a figure. The second time this week, he thinks to himself. How much more of an idiot can he be?

 

"I'm sorry, I should look where I'm going," Sungmin hurriedly apologizes and looks up to see the face that he bumped into.

 

"Hi," the person said happily with a wide smile.

 

Sungmin's eyes furrow as the stranger continues to smile, body swaying back and forth and glaring at Sungmin. Sungmin blinks in confusion and says, "Well…bye I guess."

 

Sungmin pushes past the stranger until he feels himself being pulled back and colliding into said figure again. 

 

"I'm your best friend and this is the hello I get? Dude, you're horrible!" 

 

Sungmin pries his arm off the stranger's grip and turns around with an annoyed expression. "I have no idea who you are sir but leave me alone please."

 

"Aw c'mon! I don't look that different!" the stranger pouts and crosses his arms.

 

Sungmin continues to stand there dumbfounded, fingers scratching at his ears. He tilts his head to the left, observing the stranger's every detail. "No…I don't."

 

The stranger huffs, Sungmin hoping that he got the wrong person. The stranger walks towards Sungmin and places a hand on his shoulder. "Lee Hyukjae, you nut."

 

Sungmin opens his mouth in surprise and Hyukjae grins as he walks away from Sungmin.

 

Hyukjae does not get very far because in a few seconds, he is forced onto the ground as Sungmin tackles him into a hug. 

 

"Ow! You're paying for the medical bills that my legs are going to suffer!"

 

"Still dramatic as always." 

 

--

 

Sungmin is twirling his straw as he observes Hyukjae plucking off all the strawberries on his cake and plopping it into his mouth. Hyukjae exhales a breath of happiness as he chews the sweet fruit, his smile reaching his eyes.

 

"You haven't changed a bit," Sungmin chuckles as he reminisces about his past.

 

"Old habits die hard and strawberries are so lovely," Hyukjae explains as he dangles a strawberry in front of Sungmin before placing it into his mouth.

 

Sungmin chuckles again. "So how did you even find me?"

 

"Remember how you met Hae a couple of months ago?" Sungmin nods, "Well the first hint on your whereabouts was that you told him you worked at your dad's company."

 

"Ohh," Sungmin drags out in understanding. "Shouldn't you have visited me a couple of months ago then?"

 

Sungmin sees Hyukjae give him one of his familiar playful grin that Sungmin misses so much. "I think this is the adventure you're looking for," Hyukjae says mysteriously as he hands Sungmin a piece of paper.

 

Sungmin accepts the paper and looks at it curiously. "A ticket to the aquarium?"

 

"You're not doing anything today so go," Hyukjae reasons as he gets up and starts putting on his jacket.

 

"Wait what? Am I going alone?" 

 

Hyukjae takes one last look at Sungmin and shakes his head. "Not exactly."

 

Sungmin for the second time today stares at Hyukjae dumbfounded as he watches Hyukjae leave. He clutches the paper more tightly in his hands and shrugs. Might as well right?

 

--

 

Sungmin would be lying if he said he didn't find the aquarium fun. Was it sad to find such joy in observing the variety of fishes and learning about them? He was having the time of his life going from room to room and watching the fishes swim around.

 

Turtles, seahorses, sharks, and all sorts of exotic fishes graced his view. His fingers trace the glass windows and he smiles as a dolphin rubs his nose against the glass. The blue from the water reflected onto him and he really did feel like he was swimming with them. 

 

"Dolphins, playful critters aren't they," a voice booms and Sungmin jumps in surprise. 

 

"I…guess so," Sungmin replies as he stares at the man who made the comment. "You know, I wanted to be a marine biologist one time. It didn't work out though. Maybe I dreamed too big." Sungmin didn't know why he wanted to tell this stranger a goal he failed but being in here made him realize that he did spend most of his life dreaming over nothing.

 

The man smiles, "I wouldn't say so." He hands a piece of paper and Sungmin grabs it hesitantly. 

 

The man walks away and Sungmin stares again confused.

 

It was a drawing. A very familiar drawing. He knows that stickman anywhere. 

 

It was the drawing that he drew as a child. The pages are blue and fishes floated around a submarine that had him in it. "A marinebiologist" was written in a speech bubble and he laughed. 

 

How on earth did someone get a hold of this?

 

Sungmin looks up, hoping to see that man but the man is long gone by now. Sungmin frowns and turns the paper around to see words written on the back.

 

Go to the roof of the SendBill building tomorrow night at 8PM

 

Sungmin carefully tucks away the piece of paper into his jacket pocket and takes one last look at the dolphins. "This is my adventure huh?"

 

--

 

"What's gotten you so happy?" Heechul asks in amusement as Sungmin is actually prancing around the office. 

 

"Nothing~ did you know that the aquarium is really beautiful?" Sungmin says in a dream-like haze.

 

Heechul laughs. "No, but I think you've finally lost it."

 

--

 

Sungmin is walking up the stairs anxiously, the paper from his journal being held tightly in his hands.

 

7:58PM

 

By the time it is 8, he makes it to the top of the building and looks around. To the far corner sits a telescope and a chair. 

 

Sungmin walks up to it and sees a note stuck to the side of the telescope. He grabs at it eagerly and smiles as he reads it.

 

Yesterday you were able to become a marine biologist! Congratulations! Although it was probably not the experience you wanted, at least you got to be with the sea critters for awhile?

 

Today, you'll become an astronaut. During this time, you'll be able to view Venus. Did you know that Venus is the goddess of love?

 

Sungmin finds himself blushing as he finishes the note. Again, he folds up the paper and tucks it into his pocket. He inches closer to the telescope and peers inside. 

 

The telescope is already aligned because Sungmin can easily spot a planet next to the moon. 

 

Throughout the night, he uses the telescope to observe the evening sky from all possible angles. Before he leaves, he looks at Venus once again and thanks her for this wonderful opportunity.

 

--

 

"This is for you," Heechul mutters as he passes Sungmin a piece of paper.

 

Come to Namsan park today after work

 

Sungmin giggles and repeats the same procedure he has done these past two days with the note, pocketing it inside his jacket. 

 

"You're blushing," Heechul points out with a sly grin that earns a groan from Sungmin. "Do you like this guy? He's pretty handsome, not going to lie. Why haven't you told me before!"

 

Sungmin whips his head up. "You saw him?! Where?"

 

"Uh he handed me this piece of paper literally two minutes ago by the front doors an--hey! Sungmin where are you going?" Heechul shouts at Sungmin's figure running out of the office.

 

Sungmin is panting as he flies down the stairs at incredible speed. Thank god he works on the fifth floor or he'd be completely out of breath by now. 

 

Sungmin runs out of the front doors and looks left and right. His heart is fluttering with unimaginable curiousity. He curses himself for losing sight of mystery person, a guy he finally figures. 

 

"You're not making this easy for me are you…" Sungmin sighs and walks back into the building dejectively, head hanging low.

 

--

 

Sungmin shows up at Namsan park, hoping that mystery guy would finally reveal himself. Today seems to be a sort of festival as people crowded the park and booths were opened everywhere.

 

Sungmin walks around and observes the signs, hoping to catch a glimpse of where he might go. 

 

"Hey!" someone calls him over and Sungmin walks towards the said sound.

 

"This is for you," a woman hands a map of the park to Sungmin and Sungmin takes it excitedly. 

 

It is a map of the park for the festival today. It is a multi cultural festival and each mark on the map indicates a different culture.

 

Sungmin mutters a quick thank you as he sets off to find his first destination. 

 

The booth he ends up at reads: Australia.

 

"Are you Lee Sungmin?" a lady at the booth asks and Sungmin nods. "Take this."

 

He grabs a snow globe that had Australia's most famous landmark: the Sydney Opera House. Sungmin's grin is spreading and he swears that it could touch the sky.

 

Booth by booth it's the same item.

 

A snow globe of Japan's Mt. Fuji

A snow globe of New York City's Empire State Building

A snow globe of Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa

A snow globe of Paris's Eiffel Tower

 

By the time he reaches Paris, the man hands Sungmin another note and he reads it hastily.

 

Paris, the city of love

 

Sungmin smirks and his heart is flipping. He turns it around and sees a familiar list, each place he wanted to visit is check marked.

 

Where I want to travel:

1. Australia [x]

2. Japan [x]

3. New York City [x]

4. Italy [x]

5. Paris [x]

 

That's a lot of places to visit isn't it? hehe. I scratched my earlier plans about finding an awesome job, I want to travel the world instead! Maybe I can travel the world with the person I love…

 

--

 

"Why are you so grumpy?" Heechul asks as Sungmin is laying on the couch with an empty expression. "Lover boy didn't send you another note today?"

 

It has only been two days without a note but Sungmin can't help but feel empty. He likes what his life has come to these days, expecting letters and little clues so of course he has the right to feel lost without one right?

 

"Do you think he moved on?" Sungmin questions, scared to know the answer.

 

Heechul shrugs. "Maybe, you are an uninteresting lazy lump."

 

Heechul yelps as Sungmin throws a pillow towards him. "You're horrible."

 

"And you're abusive but you don't see me complaining," Heechul retorts back and Sungmin groans, trying to ignore Heechul's endless bantering about how he's such an amazing friend.

 

--

 

Sungmin leaves the building, same time as always but stops short when he sees a small toy figurine near his feet. He picks it up and sees that it was his old small cowboy with the horse, one of his favourite toys from his childhood.

 

He looks a little further and sees the pink yo-yo with no strings and quickly runs to grab it. His mother hated this yo-yo and countless times she wanted to throw it out but Sungmin kept it because well, he liked it. 

 

This happens again and again as he bends down every few feet away to pick up one of his old toys. Sungmin slowly gathers a bunch in his arms, happily picking up all the toys and ignoring odd looks from strangers.

 

By the time he reaches the last toy, he is met with a tree in front of him. A note is plastered on the trunk and Sungmin rips it off to read it.

 

Turn around

 

Sungmin holds his breath and turns around, his heart aching with anxiety. 

 

There standing behind him was a tall lanky man holding his metal box. Sungmin blinks and registers that it is the same man that he bumped into earlier this week and gave that apple to.

 

"Hi, my name's Kyuhyun" Kyuhyun greets and steps forward to close the space in between them. "I believe this is yours."

 

"Sungmin…" Kyuhyun hands Sungmin the box and as their fingers brush, they both feel an undeniable spark. "I--Thank you…but how?"

 

"I live in the house you used to live in I guess," Kyuhyun explains while scratching his head awkwardly. "One day I fell and found this."

 

"Oh," Sungmin replies, gripping the metal box tightly in his arms.

 

"I didn't actually rip any of the pages out of your journal, I only photocopied them!" Kyuhyun explains and Sungmin only nods. "I'm sorry for reading your journal too!"

 

Sungmin laughs and thinks how adorable it was of said stranger to be helplessly flushing over his words. "It's okay, I don't mind. I was a weird kid anyways."

 

"I don't find you weird," Kyuhyun interrupts with a shy smile. "The total opposite actually. I find you inspiring. I wasn't sure if you had any of your dreams come true but I wanted to help you. It'd be such a waste to have such amazing dreams and to not have any of it come true. I mean my method isn't the greatest and Hyukjae can be such a pain to work with sometimes but I--"

 

Sungmin put a finger to Kyuhyun's lips and smiled. "I abandoned those dreams years ago. I honestly thought they were stupid the more I grew up and I lost my childhood as I grew up. But then you showed up and proved to me that dreams do come true…this entire week…I can't thank you enough. Because of you, I was able to meet my best friend again. Because of you, I'm able to dream again."

 

Sungmin chuckles as Kyuhyun's face turns bright red. "And because of you, my dreams really did come true."

 

Sungmin finally raises his finger from Kyuhyun's lips. Kyuhyun twitches his mouth and Sungmin thinks of how cute Kyuhyun can be.

 

"So does this mean I can treat you out for coffee sometime?" 

 

"You had me since I gave you that apple."

 

They both walk away, shoulders occasionally bumping into each other as Kyuhyun shyly grabs a hold of Sungmin's free hand. Sungmin tightens the grip and looks back one last time at the familiar metal box that lay at the bottom of the tree.

 

Maybe that box can find someone else's happiness as it did for Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

 

--

 

A/N: oops I was supposed to upload this yesterday but forgot! gahhh but three-shot is done! Hope you guys like it :) and this is edited to the greatest of my abilities ...