Part Two

The Metal Box

 

Kyuhyun's first stop is at Ilsan Middle School as he remembers the last diary entry mentioning that Sungmin went there before moving.

 

He enters the school excitedly but also drenched with anxiety. Will he actually find clues to where Sungmin could be or will he be met with disappointment?

 

With every step he loses more hope but then he is reminded of the words of encouragement Sungmin writes to himself and this sparks something inside of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun breathes out loud and brings his shaking hands to open the door to the office of the school. 

 

The only person inside the room was a man who looked like he was in his late twenties, busily typing away at the computer. Kyuhyun approaches the man and the man looks up. "May I help you?"

 

"I--I'm looking for someone," Kyuhyun replies nervously. He looks at the name plate and finds out that the man's name is Leeteuk.

 

Leeteuk looks at him skeptically and stops his frantic typing. "Who?"

 

"He doesn't go to this school anymore…in fact the last time he went to this school was 12 years ago."

 

Leeteuk's eyes furrow in confusion but this fact definitely intrigues him as he abandons his earlier cold stare and his eyes glisten instead. "Why would you be looking for someone who went to this school 12 years ago?"

 

Kyuhyun then begins to explain to Leeteuk about yesterday's events in his bathroom. Leeteuk's eyes glow with every minute into the story and when Kyuhyun finally finishes, Leeteuk is left with an opened mouth. 

 

"Wow, that's crazy," Leeteuk says still in disbelief, "and you're also nuts for trying to find this guy. He could be anywhere by now."

 

"I know…but I thought I could start here you know. It's the best place to start I mean."

 

Leeteuk nods in understanding and continues to sit there thinking. He lets out a small 'oh' and stands up to run towards another room. Leeteuk comes back shortly after with a small piece of paper and excitedly hands it over to Kyuhyun.

 

"There's this guy who comes here to volunteer from time to time. I think he went to school the same year as your mystery guy. Give him a call and say you got his number from Leeteuk."

 

Kyuhyun gave Leeteuk his widest smile and shook his hands happily, "Thank you so much!" Kyuhyun repeats again and again to an overwhelmed Leeteuk.

 

"It's not a problem, good luck finding him!" Leeteuk encourages and they both wave goodbye to each other as Kyuhyun closes the door.

 

Kyuhyun takes a look at the paper and he couldn't believe his luck.

 

Lee Hyukjae

 

--

 

Kyuhyun holds his phone close to his ears as the ringing occupies his sense of sound. It's not easy getting a hold of Hyukjae. This is probably Kyuhyun's fourth attempt and at the end of each phone call, he becomes even more despaired.

 

He is about to close his phone until he hears a click and a soft murmur, "Hello?" 

 

"Is this Lee Hyukjae?" Kyuhyun asks, holding his breath.

 

"Mmm, yeah, who is this?" the voice says groggily. 

 

"It-it's Kyuhyun. It's Kyuhyun!" Kyuhyun says a bit too happily. This is it! Kyuhyun thinks to himself.

 

The voice lets out a grunt, "Who?!"

 

"I mean, sorry! You don't know who I am, but I know who you are," Kyuhyun tries to explain.

 

"This is creepy, you're creepy. I'm hanging up," Hyukjae warns.

 

"No, please wait," Kyuhyun quickly replies, his heart racing, "I got your number from Leeteuk. I'm looking for someone. I'm looking for Lee Sungmin."

 

There was a moment of silence before Hyukjae responds, "Sungmin? I haven't spoken to Sungmin since he moved. Were you one of our classmates? I don't remember a Kyuhyun…"

 

Kyuhyun's heart falls flat. So even Hyukjae, Sungmin's very best friend from before, doesn't have the slightest clue on where Sungmin may be. If Hyukjae doesn't know, then who would?

 

"Hey, are you alive?" the voice from the phone calls out loudly and startles Kyuhyun. 

 

"I-yeah," Kyuhyun confirms.

 

"Why are you looking for Sungmin?"

 

Kyuhyun then begins to relay his story for the second time that day. Although Kyuhyun was not face to face with Hyukjae, he could sort of picture how he would react by the audible gasps from here and there. 

 

"I know that box very well," Hyukjae says, "Sungmin carries it around like his life depended on it. It's rather hilarious now that I think about it. That boy with his absurd dreams," Hyukjae chuckles at the memory. Hyukjae then begins to spill to Kyuhyun about his memory with Sungmin.

 

Kyuhyun smiles as he hears these stories, aching to meet him soon. "So do you have any clue on where he is?" Kyuhyun questions.

 

"Nope, no idea. We said we'd keep in touch but we kind of lost touch instead," Hyukjae points out sadly. 

 

"Oh.." Kyuhyun could only respond.

 

"Doesn't mean that I still don't have the connections," Hyukjae brings up and Kyuhyun's smile is plastered back on his face.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun waits at a little coffee shop later that day, clutching his phone so hard that his hands has become white. He is nervous, waiting for Hyukjae to meet up with him so they could continue this elusive search for Sungmin together. 

 

Kyuhyun doesn't wait long until he sees a scrawny figure approaching his table. The stranger had a long fringe but the back of his bleached hair was relatively short. He wore a casual white t-shirt and black jeans and to top it off with aviators. 

 

"Kyuhyun?" the stranger asks and I nodded eagerly, standing up to shake his hands. 

 

"Please to meet you Hyukjae," I greet and we both sit down around the table.

 

Hyukjae takes off his sunglasses and looks at me. "So I contacted my boyfriend Donghae, we both knew Minnie back then. Donghae said that he actually met Sungmin back a few months ago and he didn't bother to tell me," Hyukjae added the last part with an annoyed tone before continuing, "anyways, although they didn't exchange numbers, Sungmin told Donghae that he currently lives in Seoul."

 

"Seoul? But Seoul is so big, and not to mention that Lee is such a common surname," Kyuhyun interrupts worriedly.

 

"You didn't let me finish," Hyukjae smirks, "although this may be a long-shot, Sungmin did tell Donghae where he works. He works at his dad's company: SendBill. How did I forgot that his dad owned a company?" 

 

"This is great! Thank you Hyukjae!" Kyuhyun thanks joyously and tackles Hyukjae into a hug.

 

Hyukjae gently pats Kyuhyun's back and starts chuckling, "You have a weird liking with Sungmin don't you?"

 

Kyuhyun immediately lets go of Hyukjae and sheepishly blushes, "It's not a like I think…it's more of a sort of admiration. That kid had a lot of dreams."

 

"He did didn't he…" Hyukjae trails out with a small smile adorning his face.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun books off a week of work, his excuse being that he was dreadfully ill and could not move an inch for fear he may puke and collapse at any given moment. Sure it sounds a bit dramatic but he needs as much time as he can to find Sungmin. 

 

Kyuhyun did not know when this sudden obsession over Sungmin reached such a high peak until his best friend Ryeowook pointed it out to him. 

 

"You're in love with someone you've never even met," Ryeowook points out with a sly grin.

 

"That's crazy, how could I love someone I've never met?" Kyuhyun defends while his cheeks betray him by being scarlet pink.

 

Was it corny to say that Kyuhyun believes in fate? That is why Kyuhyun is sometimes afraid of traveling around publicly for fear that he may crush on someone hard. Multiple times it leads Kyuhyun to heartbreak but he can't help but be pulled in by that mysterious factor in people.

 

Kyuhyun begins to wonder how much Sungmin has changed. Did Sungmin reach any of his dreams? Did he still look up to his father a lot? Did he miss Hyukjae and Donghae? 

 

What did Sungmin even look like? Hyukjae said that Sungmin was very baby faced but all the same very masculine. Kyuhyun ponders for awhile until he hears whistle blowing, indicating that the train to Seoul is about to leave. 

 

Kyuhyun takes his luggage with him and boards the train. He seats himself near the windows and looks out towards the scenery. Slowly, the image he sees before him starts to blur as the train begins to move. 

 

This will be exciting, he thinks just before he naps.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun arrives in Seoul an hour later and rubs at his eyes sleepily. He is about to seat himself for a short rest until he hears someone shouting his name. Kyuhyun looks up and is greeted with a familiar face. 

 

"Siwon!" Kyuhyun acknowledges as Siwon tackles Kyuhyun into a hug. "How are you?"

 

"Good," Siwon answers as he picks up one of Kyuhyun's suitcase and motions for Kyuhyun to follow him. "How about you? I haven't seen you for awhile."

 

"I know, end of high school graduation was it? At least we still keep in touch. Thanks for letting me stay at your place for a week by the way. I hope I won't be a bother," Kyuhyun tells Siwon gratefully.

 

"Not a problem. I owe you a lot," Siwon reasons. "So what business brings you here to Seoul?"

 

We reach Siwon's car where we put the luggage into the trunk and Kyuhyun slides into the seat beside the driver's. "Looking for something."

 

Siwon looks at Kyuhyun skeptically but doesn't probe on as he begins talking about their high school days.

 

--

 

After reassuring Siwon that he will be perfectly fine traveling around Seoul alone, he sets out to find the SendBill building. It was not a hard task as the building was huge amidst all the other buildings.

 

He enters through the door and walks up to the secretary. "Hi, I'm looking for Lee Sungmin?" 

 

"Mister Lee is in an appointment right now. Did you have an appointment with him afterwards?" the secretary asks, raising her glasses up to look at Kyuhyun more closely.

 

"Well no…but I really need to see him. It's urgent," Kyuhyun stresses, trying to make his face look desperate.

 

"Sorry, no appointment means that you can't see him. Rules are rules," she announces sternly.

 

Kyuhyun hangs his head in disappointment and decides to call the day quits. He was tired anyways from all the traveling and decided that he'll start anew tomorrow. 

 

Kyuhyun walks outside the door and sits down at one of the benches, waiting for Siwon to pick him up. He starts playing with his phones and is texting Hyukjae until a conversation piques his interest.

 

"Sungmin, we'll hand in the files to you tomorrow."

 

"No later than five I hope Mister Kim?"

 

"Oh shut up Sungmin, just because we're in this set up doesn't mean that you shouldn't call me by my first name. We're friends for god sakes."

 

"Sorry Heechul, I guess I've been so used to the formalities in the office since we're always there lately."

 

"Just get some rest kiddo, I'll see you tomorrow."

 

Kyuhyun squints to look at the front entrance of the SendBill building and sees the person named Heechul walk away from the short figure with a black business suit on.

 

All that Kyuhyun could make out from the man's back was that he had black hair. But something in Kyuhyun's heart knew that it had to be Sungmin. That Heechul person even said the name.

 

Kyuhyun abruptly stands up and starts walking towards Sungmin, each step as anxious as the next. He stands a feet away from Sungmin's figure and is about to walk further until he sees that Sungmin is about to turn around.

 

It is true that Kyuhyun believes in fate because as soon as Sungmin and his eyes meet, he knows that he's in love.

 

--

 

A/N: I don't know how far Seoul and Ilsan are from each other … lets assume it's pretty far and that's why Kyuhyun has to take the train lmfao. Comments are appreciated :') And this is going to be a three-shot. Last shot will be updated after I update Of Incidentally Stalking.