Part One

The Metal Box

 

It happens so fast.

 

Kyuhyun is in the midst of drying his hair until his foot scraps against a wet substance on the floor. Kyuhyun finds himself on the floor, grabbing his poor aching after the horrible collision. His hand reaches out to haul himself up but again, he hits the side of the wall and yelps.

 

With stubborn eyes, Kyuhyun looks towards the wall, ready to yell at the inanimate object until he notices a crack in the wall.

 

The crack was small and looks grimy but something intrigues Kyuhyun to move closer and inspect it.

 

Kyuhyun's long fingers gently trail against the wall and is shocked to feel the bricked wall move. Kyuhyun eagerly probes at the brick, yanking and yanking until he hears a pop and now holds a part of the wall in his hands. 

 

Grinning triumphantly, Kyuhyun peers into the rectangular hole but is met with darkness. Kyuhyun frowns, thinking that he would have discovered something spectacular but alas, is met with disappointment.

 

Kyuhyun doesn't give up easily though.

 

He runs out of the washroom and comes back shortly with a flash light. With a click, the flash light radiates a white glow and Kyuhyun is back on his knees, aiming the light inside the hole.

 

Kyuhyun squints his eyes and is about to give up until a glint catches his eye. He blinks once, twice and hurriedly makes a grab towards the object. However, the object was embedded too far into the hole and Kyuhyun grumbles about how he has the worse of luck.

 

Grabbing a pair of tongs from his kitchen, Kyuhyun tries his luck again and succeeds. 

 

He carefully pulls out the object that glinted and it turns out to be a small to medium sized metal box.  The top reads in messy childish writing: "The Box of Important Stuff". Kyuhyun his head in amusement and decides to open the box. 

 

The inside of the box is decorated with tiny trinkets, toys and paper. A small horse with a cowboy on top lay to the corner while a pink yo-yo with its strings missing took up most of the available spot. Kyuhyun slowly takes out the toys and is then left with the numerous amount of paper and a small black notebook at the bottom of the box.

 

The notes were random. Receipts, little reminders and accomplishment were scribbled and signed with an "S" and a smiley face beside it.

 

June 23, 1993

Today, I learned how to ride a bike! It was scary and I fell down a lot at first but with Daddy's help, I did well!

- S :)

 

January 1, 1995

Today's my birthday and I wanted to go to the Aquarium but my parents didn't let me go. I was angry until I came home and found out my friends and family threw me a surprise birthday party! It was actually Hyukjae's entire idea and couldn't help but cry. I have the bestest friend ever.

- S :)

 

March 14, 2000

Isn't it weird that I still keep random notes to myself even though I'm fourteen now? All well, it was nice writing these weird note diary entries. Today I found out that I'm moving out of this house, the very house I have been calling home for the past fourteen years. I'm rather sad about it but excited all at once. New adventures but I'm sad that I'm going to leave all my friends, especially Hyukkie and Hae :( Hopefully we'll be in touch for along time~

- S :)

 

That was the farthest entry date in the metal box and Kyuhyun could only grin. It was so innocent and sweet that it made Kyuhyun reminiscence about his childhood years. 

 

Kyuhyun finally picks up the black notebook and opens towards the first page. Sprawled in big letters was a title: The Life Goals of Lee Sungmin. 

 

Kyuhyun chuckles and turns to the next page where it details about Sungmin's biography. 

 

Sungmin was born on January 1st 1986, making him two years older than Kyuhyun. Sungmin's favourite colour is pink. Sungmin is anemic. One of Sungmin's hobbies is martial arts, contradicting Kyuhyun's earlier thoughts that his guy must be feminine. His favourite food are squashes. One of Sungmin's weird perks is when the time is repetitive in numbers such as 1:11 or 2:22. He has a brother named Sungjin who he loves dearly. Sungmin also likes to sing and play instruments in his spare time.

 

Kyuhyun flips to the next page and sees a drawing, probably by Sungmin. It is a quick sketch of what looked like the solar system. An amateur drawing of the sun was set in the middle and tiny dots surrounded it, probably representing the stars. A rocket ship was shown being close to the sun and a tiny stick figure stood on top of it. A speech bubble beside it read, "To become an astronaut".

 

Kyuhyun flips again and is met with another different picture. The pages are blue and it adorns various sea animals. Again, the familiar stick figure is inside a submarine as the speech bubble reads, "A marinebiologist".

 

Kyuhyun continues to flip through the book, each page filled with a different scenario and dream. He finally reaches a page where there is only text.

 

Every few days I would go to the library and research about a different job. Some people ask me why I do this since I'm only 12 but I want to know what I would do with my life. My dad is a successful business man and I look up to him a lot. The only way to get somewhere is to be certain right? However I'm not too certain right now…there are so many awesome sounding jobs that I don't know where to start! Hyukjae said I was being too overdramatic but I don't think I was since he had a dream too, to become a dancer. Hmmm, I don't know~ I guess I'll go to the library after this entry and check out some more books.

- S :)

 

The next page, Kyuhyun expected to find more pictures but finds a list instead.

 

Where I want to travel:

1. Australia

2. Japan

3. New York City

4. Italy

5. Paris

 

That's a lot of places to visit isn't it? hehe. I scratched my earlier plans about finding an awesome job, I want to travel the world instead! Maybe I can travel the world with the person I love…

 

Kyuhyun grins and wonders how someone can have so many goals. When Kyuhyun was a child, all he wanted to do was play outside all day and eat all the sweets he could get. Not to say that Kyuhyun didn't have any goals, he had goals but he didn't think of them of much importance as Sungmin did. Besides, they are goals when they were kids, they were childish and filled with little reality. 

 

Page after page, Sungmin outlines the goals of his life. Some were grand and some were little ones such as finally being able to learn how to play a certain song on the piano. 

 

March 14, 2000

I wrote this on my little note already but I'll write it here again. Wow, it's been a year with you! I'm reading some earlier entries and I'm not going to lie that I'm laughing. Am I that obsessed with my future?

 

Well the times now, I'll be moving to Seoul in a couple of days. I already had a farewell party with a bunch of my friends from Ilsan Middle School and Hyukjae and I cried days on end. He really is my best friend, we've been through everything. Hopefully we can all keep in touch, I'm sure we will. 

 

Until next time,

- S :)

 

But there was no next time as the next page and the pages after that were empty. Kyuhyun pouts and his heart aches of disappointment. Through the last hour of sitting on his bathroom floor, he finds a weird attachment to this Sungmin character.

 

He finally puts down the book and box and stands up to stretch. Kyuhyun takes one last look at the box and makes a decision.

 

Kyuhyun had to find the boy with the never ending dreams and return this box to him.