Through The Frequency | Ch.5: Cognition

Through The Frequency

"Luhan, there's someone I want you to meet," Luhan's school adviser told him one morning. He'd been having very vivid dreams the past few weeks, all of which featured a nameless boy who knew him and kept calling his name. The dreams were giving him a hard time concentrating on his daily tasks, something his adviser, Professor Lee noticed. After consulting with him, Luhan agreed to let him introduce an "old friend that might be able to help".

Professor Lee welcomed an old-looking man into the room, gesturing towards the nervous Luhan. Luhan stood up and bowed politely, offering the seat to their guest before sitting back down.

"Dr. Feng, this is the student I talked to you about, Lu Han. Lu Han, this is Dr. Feng, an esteemed colleague in the field of cognitive science," said Prof. Lee. Luhan wondered what Prof. Lee meant by cognitive science and why he was being introduced to such a scientist. He expected a psychiatrist or something. Smiling shyly, he bowed his head again.

"I'm more of an astrophysicist really," Dr. Feng chuckled. He seemed very friendly and yet daunting to Luhan, like he's very very wise and old, even if he looked about 60. Dr. Feng turned to Luhan, looking intently. "Well, recently I've dabbled in many things, so cognitive science isn't too far off. Tell me, how vivid are these dreams of yours."

The way Dr. Feng got to business right away took Luhan by surprise. He did his best to explain the feeling, leaving out the radio because of course, to think that a radio would cause such dreams was stupid.

Luhan began with the very first dream, the boy and his name being called. He told Dr. Feng of how every single dream he had in the past 15 days had that boy in it, same blurry facial features, same color of hair, same voice. When he was asked about the surroundings in each dream, he described the ethereal, floating and luminescent feeling, like he was in space. Every day the dreams get more vivid, and the past couple of days, he began to see the boy's face more clearly, but never clear enough. By the end of his spiel, Luhan was almost visibly frustrated. 

"I see, Luhan. Are you sure you are telling me everything?" Dr. Feng peered knowingly. The question making Luhan more nervous. Surely he would not know about the radio? He's never told anyone.

Luhan looked at his adviser apprehensively, who nodded, encouraging Luhan to continue. Luhan closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Well, there's not much to lose.

 

//

"Are you ready?" asked a female voice from speakers that Luhan couldn't see. It was too bright to open his eyes. he tried and squinted, but everything was white. He felt cold, despite the flight suit. 

Luhan spoke into the glare of the lights. "Yes," his voice croaked. 

The last sound he remembered hearing was on-air static, ringing in his ears with anticipated familiarity.

 

...

Luhan?

Then it was that voice. The voice from his dreams. 

When Luhan opened his eyes, spots of light danced in front of him. It was night time, and he was...where? outside, on the street. He was under a street lamp, and in front of him was--

"Are you Luhan?"

The next thing Luhan knew, he was falling to the ground.

 

//...