Through The Frequency | Ch.2: Oh Sehun

Through The Frequency

The year 1998 started on a Thursday. Six days after, which was a Tuesday, the Lunar Prospector was launched aboard a four-stage Athena II rocket, on a mission to investigate the Moon. It cruised for 105 hours in space before it reached the Moon's orbit, where it began a 19-month investigation that successfully discovered the presence of water ice on the Moon's surface. Not very many people outside the scientific community knew of the Lunar Prospector when it was in action. But what even those who were on board the mission didn't know was the role the spacecraft would play in the lives of two young men, changing them forever.

//

Oh Sehun was a very shy person. In his high school, a busy city school in South Korea's capital, classmates and non-classmates alike praised him for having a "best face," but all the attention made him more protective of his feelings. He only showed his noisy, carefree side when he was with very close friends, a trait that earned him the nickname Nun-Sehun, which meant Snowman Sehun. He didn't like it very much, and his close friends often testified that he was, in fact, as close to being snowy and cold as a boiled sweet potato. The phrase caught and then earned him the nickname Gok-Sehun, which meant Sweet Potato Sehun. While he liked to pretend he didn't like it very much either, everyone knew that he did.

Shortly after the winter break started on his 3rd year, one of Sehun's friends took a photo of him and uploaded it via an internet relay chat client in their school. Back then, Cyworld wasn't online yet. The photo was printed and stuck on school bulletin boards, which made Sehun pretty popular. It started as a little taunt from some of his guy friends that he'd make a good 'uljjang'.

"What the hell did you do that for??" Sehun whined to his guilty friend, just moments after a middle school girl put a pink cupcake on their table at school. His friend only laughed.

"Sehun-ah, she's not even from this school!" his friend exclaimed, taking the cupcake. As he was about to bite into it, Sehun snatched the cupcake back. 

"Well, she gave it to me," Sehun said. His friends at the table proceeded to laugh, the incident now forgotten as the conversation turned to basketball. Sehun looked at his cupcake ruefully, took one of the white candy hearts and ate it.

Gifts now regularly came to him whenever he and his friends went to their favorite park to play basketball. Even though it was winter and the courts were often freezing, they went out almost everyday. One afternoon, a bunch of girls were waiting for Sehun and his group to arrive, one of them carrying a large box with a bright red bow. When they arrived, the girls started talking animatedly amongst themselves, like they were debating heatedly over something, and finally pushed the girl holding the box towards Sehun.

"Uh...oppa," she started. By this time, Sehun had perfected a welcoming expression to face fans that gave him random gifts. It was an expression he practiced in front of his mirror at home; a small closed smile and slightly raised eyebrows. Then for when he received the gift, he practiced a bright thankful yet still closed smile,  which he checked in the mirror to make sure the corners of his eyes wrinkled. It was cuter that way.

The girl handed him the box, which felt a little too heavy to be cake. "Thank you," Sehun said, making the girl blush. There, just as he practiced. She turned, covering her face, and ran back to her giggling friends.

"What is it?" one of his mates asked. An arm was slung casually on Sehun's shoulders as they huddled to check what was inside the box. It was a yellow radio. 

"Not cake," Sehun answered. The interest quickly died and they all put ther belongings, and the radio, on one of the benches so they could start playing.

Sehun didn't use the radio until after the term ended. His friends had all gone on a school trip, but at that time one of his close relatives, an uncle, had a heart attack and was admitted into the hospital. His parents were on a business trip together and his uncle, having no other family, had only Sehun to take care of him. Sehun opted out of the school trip and stayed by his uncle's side every day, brought him food and entertained him as he recovered. During one of those days, he tremembered the radio  and brought it to the hospital, to give them something to do for the day.

"Oh, this is not just a simple radio, Sehun-ah," his uncle, who used to work at a broadcasting station, said. "It's a shortwave radio, which means you can receive broadcasts from very far places." Sehun wasn't sure why that girl would give him this particular radio, other than it was cute and shiny. Then he noticed the note taped on the underside of the radio. But as he took the note off the bottom, his hand slipped, and the radio fell unceremoniously to the hospital floor.

"Ah! !" Sehun said under his breath. His uncle, caught by surprise, said, "Sehun-ah you should be more careful! Give it to me so I can fix it!"

Sehun bent down and scooped the radio off the floor. It actually seemed quite fine. He looked around to see if there were any parts broken off, and when he didn't see anything, gave the radio to his uncle. "It seems okay," said Sehun. When his uncle checked the radio, turning it on and off several times, he declared that it was okay as well. Sehun gave a sigh of relief, then remembered the note he still held on his hands. On it was written, "104Mhz".

"It's a radio frequency," his uncle explained. His uncle also showed him how to find the frequency on the radio. When they tried it, the only sound that came out was static. "You better bring it home and try again later. Radios like this aren't very cheap so maybe she had something she wanted you to hear. And better not drop it again."

Later that night, Sehun turned the radio on again but the frequency was still dead. He felt bad for the girl already. After she went through all this trouble, he hadn't checked the radio at all since she gave it to him. He wondered if she'd given up on the unique gift. He frowned, slipped into his bed and figure he might see the girl again when school starts. As he dozed off to sleep, a voice on the radio suddenly filled the room.

"Hello, this is Luhan."