Through The Frequency | Ch.3: 104Mhz

Through The Frequency

The ceiling of Sehun's room was filled with glow in the dark stick-on stars and planets from a gift his father had brought him when he was a kid. It glowed faintly, having been on the ceiling for many years. As he dozed off, the faint neon lights blurred in his eyes. He liked that feeling a lot. When the voice from the radio echoed in his half-asleep state, for a moment Sehun felt as though he was in space, receiving an important transmission sent from Earth. Then he snapped out of his drowsing and sat up abruptly in bed. Was it the girl? 

No, it was a boy's voice. It said something in English. Luhan?

The small hairs on Sehun's skin stood on end. He strained his ears, waiting for something else to happen. For some reason, he was rooted to his bed. He didn't even have the nerve to turn the volume up so he could hear better. Another sound came.

"I'm going to sing a song."

Sehun tried hard to remember the English that his teacher had taught them. He wasn't paying attention in class, but he recognized the word 'sing'. Slowly, he turned to his desk and slid to the edge of the bed, the only light from the fake stars above him. He stared at the radio's silhouette in the darkness and waited.

The person on the other end began to sing. His voice was clear, tender, and cool like flowing water. Sehun wondered what language he was singing, because it wasn't Korean and it wasn't English either. Mandarin, maybe? The song ebbed low and high, quietly emotional. It sounded so beautiful to Sehun that he wished he could call back and ask the singer what song it was. He wished he could understand it. But more than anything, he wished he knew who the singer was. Softly, the song ended and the radio was silent. 3, 5, 10 seconds passed and Sehun panicked. He stood up to reach for the radio and turn up the volume dial.

"Don't stop," he whispered, as if he hoped the person on the other side could hear. He waited and waited, until finally his eyes grew tired and he drifted into a dreamful sleep.

//

"Hello, my name is Luhan," the figure in front of Sehun said. The boy's face was blurry, like he was on the other side of a waterfall. He spoke in English, but Sehun understood him as if his words were in Korean. His voice was exactly like the one that Sehun heard from his radio. 

"Luhan," repeated Sehun. The figure's face smiled. Sehun felt as though a warm wave washed over him, though he didn't even remember being that cold. But his mind told him that he had been freezing, and that Luhan's smile made the cold go away. He wanted to reach the other side of the waterfall, where Luhan was. His hand grasped empty space that turned to fog. He looked at the whisps of white filtering through his fingers. They fell slowly to the ground like feathers. When he looked up again, Luhan was gone. 

"Luhan?" Sehun called out. No answer. For the first time he noticed that he was floating, like gravity disappeared and his feet did not touch the ground. He struggled to move, run or turn around. Maybe if he searched he could still find Luhan, but all his body managed was a slight shift, and he lost his balance. Vertigo took hold of him as he cried out, for a reason he does not understand, Luhan's name.

//

The morning sirens blared through the streets as Luhan was jolted awake. A dream flashed in his mind, almost as if it were real. A boy, was it?, called out his voice but he couldn't see who it was. He seemed to know who Luhan was, though, and Luhan struggled to think of clues that might help him identify the stranger. But the only thing that stuck from the dream was the stranger's voice that said his name. Luhan, Luhan, Luhan; It repeated in his head. Outside the sirens turned to the morning announcements the city would sound through huge speakers. The practice was adopted to urge the citizens to wake up early, when it wasn't too hot to be out on the street on their way to work. It was a preventive measure ever since heat became as frequent as allergies.

Luhan sat up on his bed. He rested his head on his hands as if it hurt, then looked instinctively at the transceiver on his desk. An odd feeling creeped upon him, that his dream may have had something to do with the ham radio. But before he could come up with anything rational, he was distracted by his Mom knocking on his bedroom door. Luhan groaned, aggravated. This can wait, he thought. He had school now and he had to catch the 8am bus. It was 7:45.

It was a hot day, and there were new students that came in, so Luhan was kept busy. But at the back of his mind was an impatient thought, constantly nagging and asking for attention. Luhan couldn't wait to get home.