Chapter 2- Outside

Is This It?

I asked Kahi if I looked bad, she looks like she's out of breath or something. She ran and got a red hand mirror and aligned it in front of my face. There, I saw myself. My eyes widen as I saw my white skin. Seeing my eyes, nose, lips, cheeks, my heart was beating so much. I couldn't describe this feeling, let alone understand it. Am I scared or excited?

"You look beautiful." Kahi said. I put my finger over my lips and smiled. I saw myself blush for the first time in front of the tiny mirror. I was happy to see my expression. I like to smile, I like smiles. They're always so delightful. I thought that though I do not even know how I looked like before, I was still happy of the outcome.

 

At night, I overheard the nurses and doctors discussing about what will happen to me after I'm discharged since life is sort of a new thing to me.

"She can come live with me, I'd be happy to share my place with her." Kahi suggested to the doctor. A smile came upon my face due to thinking of how much Kahi unnie cared for me. The doctor then told her "alright Kahi, but first we have to create an identity for her and then whenever she's ready, we'll enroll her in school."

School? Kahi told me about that before, it's a place where everyone is learns and play. There are special clubs and activities. The thought of school got me all tingly inside, I haven't been able to move for a long time, therefore I really want be apart of these activities. Even though I've lost my memories, I'll make new ones!

 

The next morning, Kahi slammed a bunch of clothes on my bed. "Come on, kido. We have no time to wait. I bought some clothes for you, pick something out and we can go look around town. Chop chop!" I didn't know if I should have been mad that she just slammed the clothes on me or cry out of happiness and glee. So I did a little bit of both, "unnie! you didn't have to do that you know.. but thank you so much!" then showed her one of my biggest cheesy smiles ever. There were so many variety of clothes to choose from. I ended up picking a fluffy white sweater and skirt.

I bowed to everyone and showed my gratitude for them since they have been working so hard and helping me out throughout my time here.

 

When we stepped out of the door, the sun shined so brightly into my two opened eyes, causing them to close. However, this time closing my eyes wasn't such a bad thing. It felt so good to have such warm light shining on my face. The aroma of the outside world was so fresh! "Unnie, what's my name?" I asked. "Ailee.. Ailee, yeah Ailee. I like that."

"Hmmm" I thought. Ailee, I happen to like that name too. I was so happy, smiling as I twirl around.