Chapter 1- Open

Is This It?

“Hurry up! Make sure you don’t loose the patient! Check her vitals, stat!”


Struggling to open up one of my eyes, there I saw my own blood tainted all over my body.


“She’s awake!”, someone had shouted. “Ma’am, are you alright? We’ll get you fixed up right away.” I was trembling, not knowing what had happened to me. I looked around just to see people staring right at my face, I wondered why and it turned out that my whole face was messed up.

They took me to a room and told me that they’ll put me under this type of gas. I had no option to oppose since my body was immobilized. The gas took effect almost immediately, my eyes were beginning to close once again. I dislike this feeling, the feeling of being “gone”.


My eyes opened once again and I sighed in relief that I was still alive. My body was all wrapped up including my face and identity. They said that the damage to my body was not life-threatening and that I just need to stay put.


Months have gone by and all I was able to do was lay on the hospital bed seeing the nurses doing everything for me, envying the people that come and go. I see patients here for a few days and gone one day.

“Where do they go?” I asked. “They go home after they become healthy.” said Kahi -she is my nurse who I am very closed to. And since my memory wasn’t so well, she would be the one who explains things to me-.

 

Finally the day had arrived, clenching and unclenching my hand, I was able to move freely. I was able to bend down and touch my toes. As they sat me down, they announced that they will be unwrapping the bandage on my face. I was nervous and turned to Kahi. She smiles, “you don’t have to worry about anything”. Each second they remove my bandage, I clenched my now movable hands together.
The bandage dropped onto the floor and the people around me were staring at me once again.