Looking Down at Death

My Heart Will Go On

 

She stood on the top of the building holding on to the railing, looking down at the rush-hour below her. Tear marks ran down from her chocolate brown eyes, to the bottom of her cheek. The wind blew across her face, her hair flying everywhere. She looked up at the stars glistening in the night, and sighed. This was the last time she’d ever have to suffer; this was the last time anyone would be able to hurt her. She carefully wrapped her arms around the railing, pulling herself over to the other side, facing the ground below her. She wasn’t going to live in this life anymore; no, she couldn’t. She was tired of the robotic life she lived. Her family wanted her to always be the best out of everything, and even arranged her with a man she didn’t love. Her friends were nothing but fake people who only cared her money. She was stuck in this life, a life where she could not break free from. She looked down once more at the rush-hour, thinking about the impact of the actual fall would feel. She knew it would be painful, but short. She knew that once she did jumped, there was no going back. She knew this well. She didn’t care. She had to escape this life.
 
A figure appeared behind her and looked at her. He was shocked at what he saw. A girl, a beautiful girl nonetheless, standing on the edge of the YG entertainment building. How did she get here? He didn’t know. He slowly walked towards her, carefully not wanting to startle her. He took a better look at her. She had been crying, he thought. She then turned around and saw him. Her eyes widened noticing she wasn’t the only one there.
“W-What are you doing here? Stay back or I’ll jump off!” she said, warning him not to come closer. He put his hands up in surrender.
“Please, don’t. Come down from there and we can talk about it.” He said. He clearly didn’t know who she was. She wasn’t one of the dancers. She must’ve been a trainee.
“Just go. There’s no point in stopping me…My mind has been set.” She softly said. He frowned. Why was she doing this to herself? Was her life treating her that badly? The boy walked towards her. “Stop! I’ll jump!”
“You wouldn’t do it.” He bluntly said. She scoffed and looked at him.
“Excuse me?” She said. “Who are you to tell me what I can and can’t do?” He smiled apologetic.
“ I can’t allow you to jump off the building.” He said, casually. She looked at him confused. “You see, if you try to jump off, I’m going to have to jump with you.”
“Why would you do that? You’re acting stupid!” she yelled. He smiled once more.
“I can’t just let you jump on your own. If you jump, I’ll never forgive myself for not stopping you. What’s the point of living life if you have a grudge upon yourself as huge as that? I won’t allow myself to live such a life.” He said. She starred at him. Who was this boy? He walked closer to her. “I don’t know the reason why you’re on the edge, but I’m sure I can help you. Please, just come with me.”
“Why should I? There’s no point of me even living anymore. I have nothing but fake friends, people who don’t care about me, people who don’t even know my name but yet are still near me pretending to be my friend. They only want me because my parents are wealthy.” she said. He chuckled.
“Money is only a materialistic thing. I don’t care about it.” He said, walking closer to her.” I’ll be your friend. I’ll listen to you, and talk to you whenever you need someone to talk to. Like now.” He was now right next to her. He gave her his hand. “Please, be my friend.” He said. She hesitated but began to turn around. He smiled, noticing that she was listening to him.
She held his hand, and began to put her feet over the railing. Suddenly, she felt herself slip. Her life passed by her before she knew it; she was now dangling from  the building. Her screams were loud; she looked up at the young man, fear in her eyes. He grabbed her before she could fall off.
“Don’t look down! Just hold onto my hand! I won’t let go!” he said. She nodded, scared. “You have to pull yourself up. You can do it.”
She grabbed his hand tightly, and began pushing herself. She grabbed a hold of the railing, and pulled herself up. He held her shaking body, comforting her. She looked up to him.
“Thank you…For saving me.” She softly said. He smiled warmly at her.
“No problem. That’s what friends are for, isn’t it?” she smiled at him, her heart calming down. “My name is Dong Youngbae, and from this day forward, I will be your friend.”