Chapter 2

You're not alone

 

How? Why? Was this some kind of sick joke!? I cautiously checked my surroundings, but nothing. Not one person was left in our unit, the only noise to be heard was the air conditioning. This was all too weird not to mention completely terrifying. I guess it's safe to assume now that the person who is after us is definitely someone who works here, or has access to this building. Why me? What had I possibly done to make myself a target? Maybe, I could find a clue while eating lunch with everyone. I can't make everyone a suspect, but someone surely has to be suspicious.

I shook my head to get out of that mind set, and grabbed my cash, sprinting to the cafeteria. I never noticed how large out unit was until I noticed how many people were completely filling the tables. A pair of waving hands in the distance caught my eye, it was Sulli with the boys. I trotted over, and sat down in the empty seat next to Sulli, suddenly feeling nervous.

“You took forever. Sulli, go with her to get food, quickly, quickly.” Jonghyun demanded. I was going to retort back, but she grabbed my hand making me freeze up.

“You heard the man. Let's go.” Her voice was so soft, and angelic, I could only nod in response. I was feeling so light headed as we stood in line for food. I wanted to talk,but I just couldn't. My mind kept flashing back to that note on my desk. Out of no where I was suddenly pushed into Sulli's arms.

“Yo! Sulli!” It was a brown haired girl who looked quite boyish, she even wore a men's suit. I panicked, and quickly pulled out of Sulli's arms. She looked flustered, and lost.

“HYUNG! Why did you do that?” She turned away from me in an attempt to hide her red cheeks, my throat was dry.

“Well, you just look like you needed a push in the right direction.” The girl turned to look at me with a cheesy smile. She held out her right hand, and placed her left arm around Sulli's shoulders.
“The name's Amber! I'm Sulli's.....'brother' as she says. Is she the girl you were telling me about Ssul?”

“HYUNG!” Sulli was thoroughly embarrassed. I guess if you have a secret crush you shouldn't tell anyone in the office.

“Amber, I'm Soojung. It's a pleasure to meet you.” I bowed politely to her, and she just laughed.

“No need to be so formal. If you're Sulli's friend then you are mine too.” Her smile was so reassuring, and kind.

“Thank you.” I turned back to the girl who had a crush on me only to see her fidgeting with the hem of her suit jacket. I should really stop this. I should just ignore her, and then..then she won't have to die. The sad part is that won't change anything. I tried before in the previous dream to just completely ignore her, but still she....she dies. I don't understand it at all, but in this dream there is no way to win.

“Next!”

“Oh, Soojung you can get food now.” Sulli smiled, and guided me up to the front of the line. I turned to see her chatting shyly with Amber, and silently filled my tray. I reached the end, and paid while thinking about the tragedy to come. I looked over my shoulder, and the 'brothers' were hugging. Amber turned, and left after, causing Sulli to return to my side.

“I'm sorry..about that. She loves to embarrass me. You're not mad are you?” Why would I be? You never did anything wrong. Did you?

“Of course not. Let's go back to the table.” She nodded, and went back, but the boys were gone. No surprise, they were over at the next table talking to some female co-workers. I can't help but think they sent us away just so they could do that. Sulli, and I ate in silence. The awkward atmosphere was something I'd adjusted to now with reliving this so many times.

“Hey did you hear about those murders recently?” I heard this coming from the table behind us. I peered over to see two young males whom I knew were acquainted with Jonghyun. Their names were Minho, and Onew. I had spoken to each of them before, they seemed nice enough.

“They say that it's usually at night, and it's people who are alone.” It reminded me of what Jessica had told me earlier. So then is this person the same as the one who is pursuing me? They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, it might be a copy cat.

“Do you have anyone to walk home with?” Sulli said out of the blue. She must of also been listening to their conversation also. I shook my head, and looked at her seriously.

“I walk alone. I can take care of myself.”

“I can tell you're strong, but I'm scared. Will you walk with me today?” I understood why she was scared. She had every right to be, after all her days were numbered too, but did she know that? I can't help but feel like the closer I become to her, the less time I have left to live. Choi Sulli, you know something. A well kept secret that ends it for both of us, you will tell me this time. I need to know the truth, I need to live.

“I will. They say there is safety in numbers after all.” I gave her a reassuring smile, to which she returned graciously.

“Do you think...we'll be ok?” No. I know we won't.

“I have a bottle of mace in my purse. Don't worry about it.” She nodded.

“What do you think of those murders though?” Her face paled, she was obviously struggling with the thought of it. I had heard her ask me this so many times now, I wasn't even sure what to say anymore.

“I hope whoever is doing it gets caught, and rots in jail.” I checked my watch to see that the lunch hour was indeed over. I flashed the time to Sulli, and she nodded. The two of us went back to our respective cubicles. I saw another note in place of the last one. I swallowed hard, and unfolded it.

1+1 = 2

2-1 = 1

1- 1 = 0

It was just a simple math problem. I knew it wasn't just that. Those numbers were supposed to be Sulli, and I. I crumbled the note, and threw it in the trash bin beside me. I spent the rest of my work day quietly focusing on everything I had to complete for the day. The rest of the day went by extremely slow. I was so glad once I clocked out, and headed for the elevator. I saw Sulli waiting there for me, my heart fluttered again.

“Did you wait long?” I pressed the button, and we got inside the elevator together.

“Just a few minutes. I wouldn't mind waiting forever for you though.” A surge of blood rushed to my cheeks, and I looked at her in disbelief. She must of realized what she said because she became quite embarrassed herself. This girl was too forward for her own good.

“.....Nice weather.” I said awkwardly in response. She didn't respond, she was obviously having some sort of day dream mid-conversation. Most would find it rude, or annoying it was quite cute to me. The elevator opened, and she seemed to have snapped out of her day dream. We walked beside each other out of the building. She kept getting closer to my side as we walked down the dimly lit streets of Seoul. I felt her hand slip it's self into my own, and she smiled at me. I unsuccessfully suppressed my blush, and kept walking with her.

“You're really brave.” She looked at me with admiration, she was giving me too much credit. I'm not brave at all. I'm scared. Even right now, I'm really scared.

“Where's your home?” I knew where it was by heart. We'd walked there together so many times. She pointed to a building a few steps away from where we were now. I walked her to the door of the building, and she bowed to me in appreciation.

“You'll be ok walking home alone?” I nodded, and she gave me a quick hug before disappearing inside of the building. I exhaled, and started to run as fast as I could. That terrible feeling was back from before. I could hear footsteps behind me too. I didn't dare look back. I made it back to my apartment's building in one piece. I sprinted up the stairs, hearing someone follow behind me. I fumbled with the key, but opened the door at the last minute hearing the person reach the top of the stairs. I quickly slammed the door, and locked it. The person banged on my door, and pulled on the knob trying to get in.

I collapsed on the couch after hearing them walk away unsuccessfully. I put my hand over my heart feeling it pound violently against my skin. I took a few minutes to catch my breath, and the TV for something to break the silence. I heard my phone vibrate from inside my brief case, indicating that I had received a new text message. I assumed it was from Jessica. I hadn't checked my phone all day since we had talked earlier while I was walking to work.

I slid my finger across the screen getting rid of the lock screen to see that I had 249 unread text messages. Surely, this was some kind of glitch right? I clicked the notification seeing a long list of unread messages from the number ' 11-22-11-10' it looked just like that math problem I saw earlier. I nervously clicked on the unread message to see:

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU WALK HOME ALONE!

It was written several times in just one message. I clicked on the next message it said the same thing. I checked at least ten of the messages, all the same thing. Some sick person was playing with me. How did they even get my number?

The phone vibrated again with another message from the same number, I opened it. The message read as follows: 'A spare key was hidden in an obvious place. I took some things of yours without asking. I'm sorry. Sleep well tonight my love.'