The start of everything

You're not alone

 

 

 

 

“If I can't love you then nobody else can!”

 

I remember hearing that cold voice so well, and feeling the tears stream down my cheeks while I gasped for oxygen. Cold hands were wrapped around my neck strangling every last breath out of me, I knew I was gonna die. Why me!? What did I ever do wrong? I asked myself so many questions while the grip on my neck became harder, I saw my life flash before my eyes at that time. My vision was blurring up, but even so I could still see the angered face of that person who was taking away my life.

 

“Leave Soojung alone!”

 

A familiar voice was yelling out to the perpetrator, it was then the grip on my neck was loosened. I gasped loudly for breathe, and was then thrown to the ground like trash. The person who was just strangling me before pulled out a pistol, and aimed at the one with the familiar voice. I was shifting in and out of consciousness at that time, so I don't really remember who was who. The last thing I remember hearing was:

 

“You're in my way!”

 

A gunshot went off after that, I have no memory of what happens next. I dreamed of this scene over a hundred times already. My life replayed in full a hundred times over, it stops at that moment. I keep wondering if I'm dead at this point, but I'm not. My life replays, and I'm able to change events in each time, but no matter it always ends the same. I'll keep replaying it until I can find out the truth. I can hear voices whispering sometimes. I don't know who they are, but they seem to know me. I keep hearing things like 'She'll wake up from her coma soon.' or 'Don't give up she'll be fine.' I don't know what happened to me, but I'll never wake up if I don't find out. I need to think this over, from the beginning. I had noticed beforehand things around me started to change after meeting one person who I would grow to love, Choi Sulli. My world completely changed after I met her. Life around me was peaceful, uneventful, and boring before we starting dating.

 

I think if I go back that time where we got together then maybe I can find out what happened. The person who tried to kill me, and Sulli..were they connected? If it's true then maybe it was a set up? No, it couldn't be..I'll figure it out right now. I remember it was Fall, the colors of the trees had began to change already during my birthday month, October. That day was different, it was when everything changed. How was I supposed to know this was the day when my time left would start to be numbered down to a shorter period?

 

~October 10, 2011~

 

“Everything is fine! You worry about me way too much, Jessica...yes the seniors are treating me good. Of course I'm eating good! Yeah..I exercise when I have time..” I remember this conversation well, because this was the time when my sister said something to me that struck me as very odd. Well, the first time I heard it just seemed like she was a worried sister, but now it has a deeper meaning.

 

“Soojung, I'm just worried about you since you moved to Seoul on your own. I was watching the news, and there has been an increase in crime lately. They say it's dangerous for women to be walking home alone at night. You should get someone to walk with you, even if it's just a female friend! Safety in numbers you know.”

 

“I'll be fine! Nothing has happened to me, so far. There is plenty of people out on the streets at night, so I highly doubt something would happen.” I'm such a fool. I should of listened, if I did then I wouldn't be stuck in a coma right now. I'm sorry Jessica, I..I'm not a good sister at all. You must be so worried about me. I don't just want to hear your voice in this flashback, I want to wake up to see you again! Will I be able to? A strange feeling overcame while I was reliving my past memories. I heard Jessica talking to me, but I felt like I was being watched. I looked around to see many people walking past me..am I imaging things? No, even now I feel those eyes on me.

 

“J-Jess..I gotta go I'll be late to work!” She was about to mutter bye, but I ran for it. The people in the streets were looking at me like I was crazy for running, but I didn't care. I ran as fast as I could, but I felt it..I knew they were still watching me. I'm tired of reliving this dream over, and over. I need to stop this person before it ends like the last cycle, the choking. I've made it into the building of my work now. I'm safe here..I don't feel anyone watching me anymore. I quickly make it into the elevator, another person is in there with me, Choi Sulli.

 

“You look you've just run a marathon. Are you alright?” She questioned me with a look of concern. If I ignore her, can I save myself from the terrible ending of this dream? I love her, I don't want to ignore her, but I'm going to end up hurting her. I know what happens to us, even so I feel naturally drawn to her. I can't not answer her.

 

“I'm fine..I just didn't want to be late. I got too distracted by talking to my sister.” The elevator is moving floors, so slowly. Time almost stops when we are together, actually it seems to stop completely. The more this replays the more I notice it. Sulli, she's different from other people, but I don't know how. Every time I look into her eyes it's like I'm stuck in a trance. The more I think about this the more it seems she's more than meets the eye. Did she really hide something from me? There is another possibility that I refuse to recognize. If it's true then I'll..be stuck here forever in a time loop that never ends. She's giving me an eye smile now.

 

“You two are close then? I have two brothers! We're close even though I haven't seen them in ages. They still live in Busan, while I'm here in the big city. You're Soojung right? I've seen you around the office. You work along side Jonghyun don't you? He's always talking about you.” Jonghyun is always talking about me? Is it him? He would know my work schedule, but why is he always talking about me? I only saw him as a co-worker who hit on mostly every girl there. I don't think it's him though, he's not the type to do this. He always comes to work super early it can't be him.

 

“Yeah, his cubicle is right next to mine. What do you mean he's always talking about me? You make it sound like he's in love with me.” What if he was? I never noticed. I never took notice to much around me to be honest, but it seems that was my downfall. Look at me now..if I had paid attention more then this wouldn't be happening. She's giving some type of smirk now, there is something more behind it. I'm getting a bad feeling, but I won't acknowledge it. I can't! I know it's not like that, but still something seems off.

 

“He is! Hahaha just kidding. He says you're really funny, and cute. I wanted to meet you myself, and see how you were. Jonghyun, thinks we'd make good friends. He even told me that we're the same age. Let's be friends?” She held out her palm to me, if I took her hand then everything would happen all over again. If I say no then I'll never find out the truth, everything I say makes a difference on what happens to me. I shakily reach out, and grab her hand.

“Let's be friends. It's always nice to have someone extra to talk to at work.” I give her a smile, she smiles back. Her stare is something I can't comprehend completely. I feel like her eyes are trying to tell me something, but I don't understand what that is. I pull my hand away slowly, just as soon as the door opens up on our floor. We walk out together at the same time.

 

“We should eat together on our lunch break! We can even eat with Jonghyun, and Taemin too. What do you say? Oh, I'm Choi Jinri by the way..just call me Sulli.”

 

“Um..sure Sulli, sounds great.”

 

“I'll see you in a couple of hours!”

 

I watched her skip off into the opposite direction of where I work. The closer I got to my cubicle the easier it was to see Jonghyun's hair sticking out from his. I had a lot to ask him naturally since all of this was so out of the blue. I flicked his head before sitting beside him in my cubicle.

 

“Yah! Jung Soojung what was that for?” He leaned over and flicked my forehead in return, so I smacked his head. He gave me a deathglare, so I gave him a hug.

 

“Why are you talking so much about me? Sulli told me you have a lot to say about me.”

 

“She brought you up first.”

 

Wait..what did he say? Sulli brought me up first, but how does she even know me?

 

“What!?”

 

“She came up to me one day after you left work, and started asking me questions about you. She has a crush on you Soojung, it's obvious isn't it?”

 

“...How does she even know me?”

 

“We all work together, so I'm sure you caught her eye one day. She must of admired you from a far. I told her to talk with you. You'll be such a cute couple.” He gave my cheek a pinch.

 

“Did she know anything about me?”

 

“Nope, not even your name. She just asked who you were, so I told her everything! Then she told me she really liked you. Sulli, is very shy, so it must of took her a lot to talk to you today. Taemin had to come over with her to even talk to me.”

 

“She didn't seem shy at all to me...”

 

“Well, she must of practiced, or something like that. Now get to work.”

 

I did what he told me to do, but I couldn't help but think of what happened earlier when I was on the phone with my sister. I kind of wanted to talk about it with Jonghyun, but knowing him he'd get all protective like Jessica, and just baby me about it. What if I told Sulli? I don't even know..I'll keep it to myself for now. I could just be being paranoid.

Work was pretty boring, but I was having a productive day too. I felt proud of myself completing my daily work load faster than Jonghyun, since he always made fun of me for lagging behind. Which is mostly do to me over thinking, but still! Jonghyun threw a pile of papers on my desk, and I sighed knowing that my workload was not done at all like I'd hoped it was. I looked at the clock on my computer: 12:00. It was lunch time! Out of no where I got that feeling again...the one where I'm being watched. I looked all around me, but everyone was getting up to leave for their lunch break. Jonghyun looked at me concerned, and in that moment Sulli walked over with Taemin.

 

“Are you two ready to eat?” She flashed me a huge smile, I felt my heart skip a beat. It was pretty flattering especially since dumbhyun said she had a crush on me.

 

“Hyung! If we get their early you can flirt with that certain girl you like.” Taemin nudged Jonghyun with his elbow, and Sulli sighed.

 

“Men..” She stated quietly, I giggled desipite feeling horrified at that feeling still not going away.

 

“Let's hurry! Come on Soojung, or we'll leave you behind.” Jonghyun practically jumped up from his desk, and ran down the hallway towards the cafeteria. Taemin grabbed Sulli's hand, and pulled her a long after. She flailed a bit while looking in my direction, it was pretty cute.

 

“I'll be there soon! I'm going to wash up!” I yelled in their direction, the only acknowledgment I got was Jonghyun giving me a thumbs up. I guess that was good enough, but the feeling didn't go away, and the office was empty by now. Every single person had already left, and I was alone, still the feeling didn't go away. I decided I was just being paranoid, so I went into the restroom. I observed my face for a few seconds, noticing my bags were pretty noticeable today. I woke up late, so there wasn't much time for make up. I the sink, and splashed some water on my face hoping it would calm me down. I took a deep breathe, and wiped off my face with a paper napkin. The feeling had subsided by now. I don't want to seem creeped out when I have my lunch with my friends.

 

I left the bathroom, and walked back over to my desk to get my money for lunch. I looked down to see a piece of paper on top of my keyboard. I gasped in horror when I read what it said:

 

Be careful when you walk home alone.