Chapter 5

You're not alone

 

 

 

I looked at the clock, and a minute had already passed. I didn't have time for this. I threw on a coat, and reached for the door knob until I noticed I had gotten another text message from Sulli's phone. It said:

 

Come alone. This will be your only warning.

 

I sighed, and rushed out of the hotel room with a pocket knife secretly concealed inside of the coat pocket. The knife was given to me by Victoria, some time ago. I wanted to inform Victoria of what happened immediately, but I couldn't bring myself to do so. I didn't want to risk Sulli getting hurt because of me. I sprinted at full speed out of the lobby, and down the barely lit streets of Seoul.

 

I used a gps app on my phone to get the proper directions to this mysterious location. Fortunately, it wasn't too far away. The gps claimed it was a ten minute walk, which could be a five minute run if I went fast enough. Adrenaline propelled me forward, and I wasn't feeling tired at all with the surplus of energy running through my veins. I continued onward following the directions, and prayed that my Sulli was going to be ok.

 

I ended up at a large seemingly abandoned warehouse. This was where they were holding her. I checked the time on my phone, I had five minutes left before my time had run dry. I pushed the gigantic metal doors open with all my strength, and run inside the building. It was completely pitch black inside. I felt lost, and unsure of what to do. Out of nowhere a large spot light went off, lighting up a portion of the room. I inched further to the light, noticing Sulli who was tied to a chair with covered with a bandanna.

 

“SULLI!” I ran to her, but abruptly stopped when gunfire was shot at my feet. She looked at me concerned, and tried to free herself from her binds. I backed up out of instinctively, and watched a masked figure slightly come out of the shadows. They only revealed half of their body, while the other half was still cloaked in the darkness. My hand dove into my pocket, and I took grasp of my weapon without revealing it.

 

“So, you're here.” They held up a pistol, and aimed it towards the back of Sulli's head.

 

“Don't hurt her! I'll do anything! Just don't hurt her.” I tried to keep my voice calm, but it ended up cracking anyways. Sulli had tears streaming down her cheeks, and she was shaking out of fear.

 

“Anything? What exactly are you willing to give up in exchange for her life?”

 

“I'll give my life for hers. It's an equal trade isn't it?” I heard Sulli let out a muffled scream, probably begging me to stop. The masked figure chuckled, and aimed the weapon towards me.

 

“That is indeed a fair trade. Now, after all of these years I can finally get my revenge. You've humiliated me time after time again.”

 

“What!? I have no idea what you're on about.”

 

“Don't play dumb! Because of you, I lost everything. My family disowned me, and I lost all potential scholarships I could have had. I was forced out on the streets to live like a rat. It's all your fault!”

 

“You're insane! I did nothing to you at all.”

 

“Hmph! Feign ignorance in front of your damsel in distress will you!? You cocky ! You will atone for your sins!” They pulled the trigger, and I managed to dodge the bullet by a bare centimeter. I ran from the line of fire, but it was no use. I felt a surge of pain emerge from my lower back, and hit the ground. I had been shot down. I heard Sulli let out a muffled scream again, and felt someone walking closer to me. I couldn't move at all. I figured this was the time that my life would flash before my eyes.

 

I was lifted into the air by the collar of my shirt, and kneed in the stomach. I couldn't even emit a sound, the wind was knocked out of me. The masked figure threw me into the metallic wall behind me at full force. I slid down the wall, and fell face first into the dirt. I was so powerless up against them. They approached me once more, and slammed their foot down on my head. I screamed, and felt myself losing consciousness. The person laughed manically, and kicked my body around much to their sick amusement. I very vaguely could see Sulli watching in horror, with tears staining her face. All of a sudden, I heard another gunshot and the mask villain screamed in pain.

 

“SOOJUNG! There you are!” I heard Victoria's voice calling for me, and I managed to smile despite the extreme pain I was in.

 

“You ! I told you to come alone!” The mask person was gripping their bloody shoulder, and slowly retreating into the shadows.

 

“She did, but I secretly followed her. I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Now, come quietly you're under arrest!” Victoria fiercely pointed her gun at the perpetrator.

 

“Tch!” The masked individual threw a smoke bomb into the air, and the entire room was soon encased in thick smog. I coughed violently at the poisonous air entering my lungs, and gagged on it. Luckily, the smoke cleared after not long, but the person was gone. Victoria, released Sulli, and they both ran to me with great concern. I out at that point.

 

I awoke in a hospital room, hooked up to all different kinds of machines surrounding me. I saw Jessica sitting besides my bed looking quite upset. I wondered how much time had past since I was attacked, and I wondered if Sulli was ok.

 

“You're awake.” She smiled at me kindly, and brushed her palm across my cheek.

 

“Unnie..how long was I out?”

 

“It's been two days now. I got the call from Victoria as soon as you were emitted into the hospital. I got a ticket, and flew here as soon as I could. I thought you were going to die. Your girlfriend has been pretty torn up about it too.” I sighed, not knowing how to respond at all. The part that makes this worse is, I'm running out of days. I only have 5 left. That masked person had never been this violent in the previous cycles, what could of caused the sudden change in their behavior? They tried to blame me for something that had happened to them, but how could I have caused that? Were they mixing me up with someone else?

 

 

“Soojung! I'm so glad you're awake. I was so worried.” My train of thought was interrupted, and I saw Sulli run to my side with a relieved smile. She had such dark bags under her eyes, she must of not have slept much while I was out.

 

“She's so loyal to you Soojung. She's barely left your side. How did you manage to hook up with someone so genuine?” Jessica winked at me, and Sulli giggled.

 

“Uh..erm...destiny?” It was a very lame response, but it was the best I could muster in my foggy state of mind.

 

“Well, isn't that cute.” Jessica pinched my cheek, and I shot her a glare. She really loved to embarrass me didn't she? I bet she already told Sulli all kinds of embarrassing stories about my childhood.

 

“Victoria unnie is working hard with the detectives to try, and find our attacker.” Sulli said in a calm voice. I thought she would have been more frightened.

 

“Ah, good.” I wasn't sure what else to say.

 

“You need to focus on your recovery, and rest.” Jessica kissed my forehead, and left the room leaving me alone with Sulli. She took the chair that Jessica was previously occupying, and sat down in it. She took my hand, and held it, while my cheek slowly.

 

“You're my hero, Victoria unnie too.”

 

“I didn't do anything to be called a hero.”

 

“You came to save me. Thank you. You're hurt now, and it's all my fault.” She gripped my hand tighter, and I felt a tear drop hit the base of my wrist.

 

“Don't worry about that. Just tell me..how did this happen?”

 

“I'm not so sure. I was in the bathroom at work, about to walk out, and someone hit me hard over the head. When I came to I was in the warehouse all tied up. That person told me that you were coming to get me, and that they would kill you. I felt so useless.”

 

“So, you haven't any idea who it is either?” She shook her head, and I sighed. It was definitely someone at out work then for sure. Was it Amber? No, she didn't have Sulli with her whenever we were in the elevator together. She said our relationship wouldn't end in my favor, did she know what happened to Sulli? Too many questions, and not enough answers.

 

Meanwhile in an undisclosed location:

 

“You failed me!” An angry voice roared, and slammed it's fist into a nearby wall.

 

“I didn't expect her to have back up! She was practically dead whenever I left.”

 

“Still! You shouldn't of been toying around with her. You should of killed her there then, and there!”

 

“Next time she won't get away alive.”

 

“There won't be a next time! I'm going to join you whenever we go after her again.”

 

“Then she definitely won't have a chance to escape.”

 

“Don't forget, this is the last cycle. We have to win this time. We can't allow her to wake up. That's why we're changing the events so much this time. That idiot probably didn't even notice.”

 

“You were too soft on her before! You let her live!”

 

“It was a mistake, and it won't happen again.”

 

“Now, get to work. We have five days left to carry out our master plan.”

 

“As you wish, master.”