Escape

Lingering Traces

 

Important Note: Please take note of the dates and time. Thank you.

 

Start of Chapter 2:

 

.............................................................................................

 

 

--10th of April 2011, 6:15 PM—

 

He had asked her to meet him in a bar at 6PM.

 

It was 6:15 PM when she came. She was wearing a casual outfit—a conservative-looking one. Anyone who’d see her walking on the street wouldn’t even think that she’d be going to a place like that.

 

“You’re late.” He stated.

 

“Y-yeah... I’m sorry...” She replied. She looked around and saw lots of ty-looking girls clinging onto him.

 

L kissed one of the s. She winced at the scene. She wasn’t used to those kinds of scenes.

 

He didn’t care that Haneul was there. Well, he was a playboy so what could anyone expect?

 

She felt uncomfortable sitting there with his... women.

 

It was just that it hurt seeing it... She had loved the dark-haired angel since he had smiled at her gently when they were still children.

 

But she knew that she wouldn’t have any chance.

 

She never liked one-sided love. In fact, she hated it...

 

But she had grown to accept the fact.

 

Besides, to him, she was just a mere toy— someone to please him when he needs it.

 

Although Haneul didn’t like it, it was hard to stop either.

 

They talked about lots of awkward things but she still felt distracted.

 

Suddenly, he asked, “Was I your first?” he said, staring at the wall.

 

“Wh-what?” He always took her by surprise. “Y-yes...” She looked away.

 

He smirked. “Hah! Really?!” He asked, mocking— as if he didn’t believe it. “That’s pretty hard to believe. If I hadn’t asked you, I would have thought that you’ve done it before with Hoya... or perhaps with some other guy.” His smirk widened knowing that his words had some impact with the girl as she frowned. His words were harsh, cold, uncaring. Who was this guy? Who was talking anyway? It wasn’t L, was it?

 

But it WAS L.

 

“You’re wrong. I’m not like those girls.” She whispered but still loud enough for L to hear. She was pertaining to the girls around him.

 

Kinda feeling insulted, L retorted back. “Oh? You know what I think of you? I think you—“

 

“I don’t wanna hear it.” Haneul said as she stared at her hands, fists clenched tightly. She was close to crying.

 

L raised an eyebrow. “Then what would you like to hear?”

 

“Tell me, what am I to you?” She had finally gathered the courage she had been trying to save up so she could say these words. So she could ask this question. So she could understand what was actually going on between them.

 

“You?” L smirked. “You’re my precious toy.”

 

Haneul’s eyes brimmed with tears. That was so harsh, so cruel of L to say. She had always kept him in her heart ever since they were little.

 

And to hear him say that she was nothing but a toy… It just hurt.

 

“Then… Why do you make love to me?”

 

“I don’t.” He chuckled. “I’m merely playing.” He laughed darkly. It was as if he was mocking her for her stupidity— because she thought he was making love to her.

 

“Then—“

 

“You know why? Because I think you’re a .” It hit her hard. It hurt too much hearing him saying those words. “A . A flirt.”

 

She looked at him, trying to contain the tears. Her heart pounded hard as her breathing got uneven.

 

L smirked wider. “I need to go. ‘Til then, Ha. Neul. Ah!” He whispered in her ear, emphasizing each syllable of her name.

 

He looked at her with a look so playful before he strode off, leaving his women and Haneul.

 

The ty girls moved away from her as they saw Haneul finally letting out her pain. Her tears flowed freely. She sobbed as she felt her heart being squeezed. Those girls pitied her but can they do anything to make her feel better?

 

Wiping her tears, she took out her phone and dialled a number.

 

--11th of April 2011, 2:04 PM—

 

“Myungsoo oppa~” Haneul chirped happily, hopping towards L.

 

“What’s up?” L said with a confused smirk. “Just last night, you were crying in the bar.” He insensitively said. He was obviously confused, though.

 

She smiled widely. She gave her childhood friend a meaningful smile. “Guess what?”

 

He raised an eyebrow.

 

She stepped forward, going in front of L. She tiptoed and whispered in his ear, “I’ve had with Howon oppa last night!” She said it too cheerfully, much to L’s distaste.

 

Then, she stepped back. Haneul smiled even wider, her wide eyes looking innocent.

 

L, on the other hand, was furious. His eyes narrowed dangerously at Haneul. “WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!?” In his eyes, one can see anger, fury, and… pain? Betrayal?

 

“Well, last night, you called me a , a , a flirt. I only wanted to live up to your expectations, Myungsoo oppa.” She stated. She smiled sweetly, her words too sweet, it was toxic.

 

She was smiling, but inside, she was dying. She wanted to cry. What she said was true, though. She did have with Hoya. She just wanted to rebel against L. She wanted him to be broken. She wanted him to break like the way he breaks her.

 

But she knew that she wouldn’t be able to do that.

 

L was too… hard for her to break. She couldn’t even cause him a scratch, moreover break him into pieces.

 

In a blink of an eye, he slapped her with his cold, hard hand. He was enraged.

 

“You’re mine to play with.” L said possessively, his jaws clenched tightly.

 

With an equally hard look, she eyed him. “Not anymore.” With that, she walked away.

 

--18th of April—

 

A week later, news spread that Haneul attempted suicide. She slashed her wrist a number of times but to no avail, she did not die.

 

She tried to stab herself but couldn’t for she was a coward.

 

Walking in his house’s corridor, L heard the maids talking.

 

“Have you heard that Miss Haneul, Master L’s childhood friend, tried killing herself?” The older maid said.

 

“Really?!?” The younger one was surprised.

 

“Yes. Don’t you think that she’s trying to…?” The maid gave the other one a knowing look.

 

“We should call Doctor Lee.”

 

“Master Howon’s father?”

 

“Yes.” The maids rushed off to the phone.

 

As he heard the news, he was worried sick but he didn’t show it.

 

Because you know what? He loved the girl.

 

But he was a coward, too, for he can never tell her the truth but instead, he “plays” with her, showing his affections only when they’re in bed. Haneul always thought that he does it out of lust, not out of love.

 

But it was otherwise.

 

L dialled Haneul’s number.

 

But there was no answer.

 

He remembered the maids saying that they should call Hoya’s father who was a doctor. Why would Haneul need Hoya’s father as a doctor? He was annoyed at that.

 

--21st of April 2011, 11:13 PM—

 

The maids were panicking inside L’s mansion.

 

Apparently, someone called saying that Haneul was missing.

 

He was really worried.

 

But he knew where she would be.

 

He ran out of the house to where he could find her.

 

And there her shiny red car was, parked in the corner of a dark place. He rushed to check if Haneul was there.

 

And she was… But she was unconscious.

 

She opened her eyes weakly. She could still think, but not clearly.

 

Her vision was blurred with the images of a crime scene in her mind.

 

“There were gun shots…” She weakly said in a daze.

 

He hugged her tight.

 

Mumbling incoherent things about guns and crimes, she finally closed her eyes shut.

 

 

..........................................................................................................

 

End of Chapter 2