You are my music

After Generation shots

 

We both grown up together since we were young, we had the same hobby – playing instruments. We both learned paying the piano and guitar together. We attended the same school and taken part in the piano or guitar competitions, whatever was on. The outcomes were always the same, we both get first place. Normally, people will get jealous because they had to share the prize, or never liking sharing first place, but we never minded that, sharing the prize and position was no biggy for us.

In the second year of high school I had to move away due to family problems. It was hard to separate from my best friend, close friend, sister. But I know that we’ll meet again one day. Through the years without her I’ve learned more instruments, flute, cello, bass and drums. Learning instruments were like fulfilling the gaps of my heart that was missing her. I always wonder how she’s doing, we used to contact each other a lot, but as each day pass we get busier and busier hardly have the time to even text each other “hello”.

A few years later I’ve finally finished high school and I’m planning to go to university to get a degree in music. I went online and looked up different universities to see which one is the best for me. When I’ve found the one I wanted to go to, luckily it’s nearby. I then saw the amount of money I need to pay to get in the university. I’ve saved up some money I got from my summer job last year, but it still isn’t enough. I was so frustrated over the money, not knowing where to get if from. I didn’t want to be dependent on my family; I didn’t want to burden them as they’ve already been paying the money for my all my instrument lessons all these years and my instruments themselves.

I decided to get some fresh air outside, take my mind off the money for a while. As I strolled down the streets I saw a poster saying “In need of a pianist! Quick!” my heart then started to beat faster, knowing there’s hope to get money. I quickly scanned the poster for the address on the poster, not worrying what kind of place it is and then ran to the place. I didn’t want to use a taxi or bus because I didn’t want to use any money.

20 minutes of running, I’ve finally reached the place. My mouth nearly dropped to the ground. It was a grand restaurant, I was looking at the entrance in awe, the place was HUGE, clean, and so urmm… formal? Hmmm that wasn’t really the word… maybe posh is a better word? Anyways I slap myself in the face trying to get my senses back, I looked around myself, and everyone was wearing suits, dresses, just any posh, formal wear. I just realised that I was in the rich side of the country. I wonder why the poster got into a middle class place? I shouldn’t really be worrying about that, my priority is to get the job and get paid so I can get my degree. I straightened my back, sorted out whatever I was wearing and walked into the restaurant.

While I was walking in, staffs were bowing 90 degrees to me. I was still in the state of shock; I’m really amazed on how magnificent the place is. Just a 20 minute run from my place, is a total 180 degrees change. While I was still in the state of shock, I suddenly got bumped into the person who is around the same age as me and around the same height. She was running through the entrance, she somehow looked a bit familiar.           She stopped and then quickly bowed 90 degrees and apologised. Her hair was long, so I didn’t quite get what her face looked like. I bowed back and watch her run off to the counter. Seriously why is this place so god damn big? The hallway to get to the tables takes like a 10 minute walk.

When I reached the counter I saw that girl got lead by a waiter to somewhere. I shrugged it off and bowed and then asked the other waiter who was behind the counter “I wanted to interview for the pianist job.” “Oh another one, just follow that girl over there, you’ll be taken to the managers room.” I bowed again and then said thank you and walked quickly to catch up with the girl. I finally caught up. I followed behind the girl, kept on admiring the huge place and thinking on what the waiter said earlier on. He said “another one” that means the other girl is also here to be a pianist? Omo what if she’s better than me? That mean she’ll get the job, which means that I’ll get no money for uni. I then messed up my hair by the annoyance of my thoughts.

The waiter and the girl suddenly stopped. I couldn’t pull my ‘brakes’ on time, this time I accidently bumped into her. She turned around and quickly bowed and apologised even though it wasn’t her fault, what a strange girl. I looked at her somehow finding her a bit cute for some reason, but then I quickly bowed and apologised as it was my fault. I looked back up and noticed that there was a door opened and the waiter was giving a polite hand gesture for me to go in. I bowed at him feeling a bit embarrassed as the girl was already there sat down on a chair in front of the desk.

The person behind the desk instructed me to sit down on the chair next to the girl, so I followed his instructions and sat. I took tried to take a little peek at the girls face, but her side fringe was in the way. The man cleared his throat to get our attention, “so I hear you both are here to get the job of being a pianist?” “nae.” We both said in sync. Her voice sounded similar, I wanted to look at her, but the man behind that desk is scary. “By the way I’m the manager here, and I just wanted to quickly hire one pianist for the time being, not planning on hiring two… so I’ve got an idea. You two can have a little competition to see who’s the better fit for this job role.”

---

 

We were then lead to the piano that was placed in the middle of the hall for eating. The manager then asked “so who wants to go first?” while I was hesitating weather I should go first or let the girl go first as she arrived here before I did. Suddenly, the girl shoots her hand up in the air and said in a rather loud voice “I will!” because I was hesitating, it shocked me a bit. My eyes followed her hand up in the air, and then slowly travelled down to her face, trying to get a look of her face for the first time, for the pass 20 minutes. But she had to be typical and already making her was to the leather piano chair, with her back facing me.

All the attention of the customers was focusing on that girl that laid her long thin fingers on the white keys. She straighten her back, stretch her fingers out a bit, and the curled it a bit. We were never given on what to play, so I was panicking on thinking on what I should played. I looked around me, remembered that this place is a rather “posh” place, like in the movies, places like this normally have slow, relaxing music playing so people can enjoy their food. I then decided to play a song that me and Seohyun used to play together –Enter a slow song’s name- . I gave myself a nod, confirming that I’ll be playing that song. Thinking about that song bring back loads of memories about me and Seohyun together, I wonder how she’s doing now?

The girl then started to play, the song was so familiar… Omo it’s the exact same song I wanted to play, it’s my and Seohyun’s song, how dare she! I looked at her in anger. But the longer I look at her, the more familiar she looks. With the song playing beautifully with her long think finger, I keep getting flashbacks, the memories I had with Seohyun, her face looks blurry within the memories.

The girl then finished the last note perfectly, everyone clapped including myself unconsciously, even though I hate her for playing the song I wanted to play and moreover it’s a song with loads of memories. The manager then guided her to sit down on a table (which isn’t able to get a very good view of the person playing the piano), he then blocked my view, and I wasn’t able to see her face for the nth time. He then instructed me to play next. I was going to stick with what I was planning to play, if the manager thought that I’m not creative and I’m a copycat I don’t care, because this song holds a meaning to me. I sat down, did some little warm ups with my fingers and then I started to play the song.

After I finished, everyone started to clap. I felt good, although I didn’t play it perfectly but it was close enough, but still have place to improve. I bowed and walked out of the spotlight and walked towards the manager. “Very good girls, it’s really hard to choose who is going to get this job. It’s also very nice of you to play the same song as it would be fairer to judge. But as I personally can’t choose I think I would ask the customers to judge for us, we would ask them to choose when they’re ready to pay the bill. You two can just sit in my office for a bit.” We both then bowed and walked into his office.

We both sat down. I took a deep breath as I know it’s finally the time that I can see her face. When I turned around she quickly bowed and greeted, I then bowed too. She then lifted her head up, while my head was still down “Anneyonghaseoyo I’m Seo Joohyun.” My head still stayed down, that name sure does ring a bell… Seo Joohyun… “Urm… you okay? You can put your head back up you know…” that girl’s voice was also very familiar… something the clicked in my head, I then quickly shot up and said loudly “SEOHYUN?!” my eyes opened as wide it could go, and there was the girl I’ve been thinking of all these years. “Omo E-young?” “Ne, it’s me. How have you been? I’ve missed you! Now that makes sense of you playing that song.” “Haha yeah I was thinking of you when I was playing.” We then spent hours finding out how each other’s lives were, after losing contact.

The manager then walked in and said “Girls I’ve got the results…” he paused creating the tension. “I’ve seen you two have gotten quite close from the pass few hours, I guess you guys can sort it between yourselves; you two have gotten equal votes. You two can either share the hours of work or decide who is going to take the job, I’ll be outside, tell me when you have made your decision.” The manager went out, and then we started to let the each other take the job instead of ourselves. But we then came to a conclusion is to share the hours.

After the day of the interview we’ve been hanging out a lot, catching up. I’ve missed having my close friend by my side. One day we’ve decided to have a sleep over in my apartment. We then spent nearly the whole day (they’ve both have a day off) playing instruments like we used to, writing songs. It was then getting late, Seohyun borrowed my pj’s and shared my bed with me together. We then started to have some pillow talk, about relationships.

“Have you ever been in a relationship?” I asked her out of curiosity. “No I haven’t.” she replied. “Why though? You’re pretty, intelligent, smart, amazing, cute, and so on. Seriously, who wouldn’t want to go out with you?” I was quite surprised with her reply. “Intelligent and smart are the same thing E-youngie.” “That just proves my point, smart .” we then both giggled. “I have to admit, it’s not that I haven’t had anyone after me, it’s just that I’ve got someone in my heart.” “Oh who’s the lucky guy? Do I know him?” “It’s not a guy, and yeah you do know that person…” “hmm… Keroro?” I then laughed out loud. “Haha very funny E-youngie.” I then wiped my tears from laughing at my own joke “I do miss you calling me that.” “I’ve missed you E-youngie…” “I’ve missed you too. So who’s the lucky person?” “We should go to sleep now E-youngie, it’s late night.” Seohyun then snuggled herself in the covers. “Okay night night, sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.” I then turned the light off and snuggled back in bed.

It’s been about an hour now… I’m still thinking who is the lucky person, to be quite honest, it’s really bugging me for some reason. What if that person mistreats my angle, what should I do? What if that person is a player that has been fooling around her heart all along, what should I do? What if that person really loves her… what should I do? All these random what ifs started to run through my head. I then felt Seohyun move, then something soft and most touched my cheeks, I didn’t open my eyes. I then heard a sweet whisper in my ear saying “The one in my heart is you.” I could feel my heart starting to beat incredibly fast, and my face was heating up. Thanks to her I’ve stayed up all night.

“E-youngie, wake up.” A sweet angelic voice has spoken. “Morning angel.” I said, I saw her face blush red. “I-it looks like you didn’t have a good night sleep.” Seohyun asked in concern while stuttering a bit. “Yeah it’s because of you…” oh my god! Did I just say that out loud?! “…Was I snoring?” Seohyun asked in an innocent voice. Oh I don’t think I can hold it in any longer, if I do I don’t think I’m going to have a good night sleep in my whole life.

“Seohyunie…” “Yeah?” “I was awake yesterday night…” Seohyuns’ face started to blush really red, she looked down and apologised. “Sorry E-youngie… I couldn’t help it… all these years I’ve missed you really badly… I’ve tried my best to keep this feeling within myself but I just couldn’t… I’m sorry. I’ve ruined this friendship haven’t i?” I could hear her voice, she was close to crying, I know that she was serious. “This friendship… I have to be honest I have been thinking about this all night that’s why I wasn’t able to sleep. All those what ifs that were running through my head… one I’ve missed out… what if the one Seohyun loves is me, what should I do? And I’ve got an answer to what should I do. I should treat her with all the love I’ve got, I will protect you, make you happy. I’ve been missing you so much. Thank you to yesterday night I’ve finally have realised my feelings… this friendship is something I no longer want… I want more than friendship Seohyunie… would you be my girlfriend?” Seohyun then looked up with tears running down her face. “I said that I’ll make you happy however, you’re in tears right now.” I then smiled bitterly as there was no reply from her.

Seohyun then hugged me tight and said “Silly, these are tears from happiness, of course I’ll be your girlfriend.” I then smiled and placed a kiss on her cheek, now I’ve got tears building up.



 

Sorry guys this chapter was really bad, it was kinda written in a rush (the second half anyways). I really wanted this chapter to be finished as soon as possible; I didn’t want it to be dragged any longer. But hopefully the Jooyeon and Yuri one hasn’t won’t disappoint you~

nahi-kana -