chapter 1.

Intertwined

 

I am Jung Yonghwa, a senior high school student at Namsan High School. I was born in Seoul but the family moved to Busan in 1991 because of my father’s business. I live with my parents and I have an older brother who is based in the US. We visit him every time chances allow.

No, I won’t accept the term ‘rich’. We’re not. Maybe, we belong to the upper class but we’re not socialites. My father runs a small company and my mother is a plain housewife. So we’re far from being elites; and I don’t like being tagged as one.

I am a typical school boy. I love English so don’t expect me to do well in Science and Math. I also love arts and I could draw decent images. See? I’m ordinary… or maybe not?

Modesty aside, I have quite a number of followers at school. Girls find me attractive. They say I’m handsome all the time, and I honestly don’t get it. However, I can’t deny that I like it. Must be the genes? ㅋㅋㅋ

Or I think it has something to do with my love for music? I think I’m the coolest when I’m with my guitar. I love singing and I do write songs. More? I play the piano, clarinet, reed, drums and bass. I could play a little of flute and violin too. Hmm… Maybe I would find time to learn the harp next?

So yeah, I love music and I am into the Hallyu Wave. Even if you’re not asking, I am telling you that I am a big fan of SNSD and my ultimate bias is Kim Taeyeon.

More than her looks, I do love her personality. She’s bubble and fun to be with, I suppose. She has this great sense of humor which I think could rival mine. We were both born on 1989 so I think we’ll get along well.

However, there are two things that sometimes hinder my admiration on Taeyeon. First is Super Junior’s Leeteuk. They won’t admit but isn’t it an open secret that they are together? Those couple items aren’t for show, I believe.

Second, Seo Joo Hyun. I don’t know if I can actually count her in but there is something in this maknae which I can’t distinguish. She’s so mysterious that I feel the urge to get to know her more. She looks so pure and innocent, I know I won’t be able to look at her straight into the eyes if we meet.

Oh well, what am I saying? I am Jung Yonghwa, and this is my life.

“Done.”I told myself as I put my pen down and did some stretching. We were told by our adviser to write a simple autobiography in English and it was a breeze.

I submitted my article and headed back to my seat instantly. I looked outside through the window beside me and allowed my mind to fly. Time really moves slower for the excited ones and it annoys the hell out of me. Why won’t the clock just tick 5PM, then I’ll leave with my friends to watch my most favorite girls live in concert in my town?

“You really do amaze me, Jung Yonghwa-ssi.”I heard my teacher spoke my name so I shifted my attention to him. “You seriously love SNSD, don’t you?” He asked.

I know he was trying to tease me so I just smiled at him and nodded. I swear I saw a smirk in his face, something which I am not really pleased to see. I know he was planning something I wouldn’t like.

And I was right.

“There’s gonna be a concert tonight, and you’re attending?”He asked me, obviously plotting something else.

Once again, I nodded. He’s really starting to get into my nerves. Every teacher in my school loves me, except this one. My friends and I think it has something to do with the attention I receive from female teachers and students. What the hell is that about? Is he really trying to compete against a high school student?

“Sorry, but I think you can’t. We’ve got tons of things to do later tonight for remedial.”See? What did I tell you?

I clenched my fist tight under my desk and forced myself to reply with as much respect as possible. He’s still my teacher after all. “As far as I remember sir, I’ve finished everything last night. So I think I am free to do what I want to do tonight.” I said.

My teacher’s eyes went judging, and I don’t like them so I went back to staring at the tree outside the window. It sure did become interesting all of a sudden to me.

“Then I guess I’ll have to tell your parents that you’re choosing a bunch of skinny girls who can’t even dance and sing properly over your studies.” He said, pulling my strings altogether.

Even though my insides are quaking, I kept my cool and gave him the attention he thinks he deserves. I smiled at him sarcastically and there was a streak of confusion in his face as I did; and without breaking my stare, I told him, “by all means, sir. When do you plan to tell my parents the deed they have actually allowed me to do?”

My adviser turned red as the whole class stifled their laughs and giggles over my smart- comeback. I brought my attention back to the scenery outside and the event that night as my teacher went back to reviewing the other submissions, defeated.

I smirked as I thought of my victory. Nobody insults SNSD in front of me.