Dawn

Making History

Key was sitting in the lone chair in the room in the corner as they filed into the main dance room. His face still had the same confident expression, just with a little sweat layer over it and  worn out. On his lap, he now had a tiny white notepad and a small video camera on a tripod set up next to him. It felt like auditions all over again. Luhan panicked at the mere thought of going through the grueling process once more. He glanced around to see if the rest of SHINee was there, and it seems like Key caught onto to what he was doing.

“Luhan-ssi. If you are looking for the rest of my bandmates, they are hiding at the moment.” Key rolled his eyes. “You all aren’t as lucky.” His tongue stuck out a little, making Luhan blush. Caught. All the members chortled a bit and Key eventually joined, then Key looked at the beeping electronic neon pink watch on his left wrist.

“Well, it’s time to start guys. You three are up first.” Key sounded like he was …purring.  Are we like prey? He could imagine Key like a cat staring at them, eager to tease the twelve bumbling lost mice.

 He must not have been the only one who sensed the intensity of Key’s stare as Kyungsoo stuttered out an“O-okay Sunbae.” Kyungsoo looked back at Key with frightened doe like eyes. Key smirked. Luhan saw Kyungsoo's adam’s apple bob up and down as he seemed to be getting nervous. Who wouldn’t be?

Kyungsoo slowly nudged the two next to him to move up with him into the middle with him. Chanyeol sighed as Baekhyun simply delivered a sympathetic smile and patted Chanyeo on the back as if they were preparing to go into battle. Key’s sharp eyes narrowed on three and it seems now he would not miss a single slip up. The rest of the group slunk back to the sidelines as Luhan sensed the anticipation in the room raise as the music started. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo got into formation and dropped their heads, waiting for their cue.

“Hit that…”

For the next five minutes, Luhan was astounded by the crisp, impact-filled choreography. The leg s, the tutting, and even the short hip hop segment fueled the dances’ intensity with Chanyeol fiery and husky rap. It was just…overhwhelming. As the song whirred to an end, and the next group entered the middle of the room, Luhan noticed that Key was expressionless and simply jotted notes down into his notepad. With each flick of his pen (which was oddly topped with a dinosaur), Luhan own slight case of pessimism came back to haunt him. What if we do the worst? He looked down and played with the hem of his blue t-shirt. Luhan didn’t even want to look up ,closing his eyes, to see the next group go up , which included Jongdae, Yixing, and Minseok.  Just from feeling the tremors of the floorboards, he could tell that each member was flawlessly in sync for each of their steps. He mentally was kicking himself for doubting himself but he couldn’t help it, especially with the third group. Be confident Luhan. He remembered Feng’s message and straightened up. Luhan felt the tingles through his body. Their turn was soon.

The group before them consisted of Wu Fan, Zi Tao, and Joonmyun; however, it was Tao he was most drawn to. He had blinked his eyes in disbelief. Was that…martial arts? Whatever it was, Zi tao was basically flying in the air, as he swiftly navigated through the air with his flips, kicks, and leaps. It seemed supernatural like Tao was some sort of dark spirit. It was so commanding yet graceful at the same time. Not to forget the, Wu Fan and Joonmyun were just as skilled. Luhan even thought he saw Key smile for a splitting second but whatever he saw was quickly masked again. Once the music stopped again, he knew what Key would say next, as if he had telepathy, “Jong In, Sehun, and Luhan. Your turn.” His voice seemed so monotonous. He really can turn off his emotions can’t he? The nerves were starting to pound again. Calm down Luhan. It’ll be fine. Luhan in general was a nervous wreck. Today, the odds were against him as all the drama was washing back into his mind. Just think about the dance. Key’s particular wording of, “cruel and unusual punishment,” didn’t help at all. Calm…Calm…Calm…

Luhan felt a little squeeze on his shoulder and his eyes opened. His shoulder was burning from the contact, however; at the same time, the sensation shot his heartbeat up a thousand counts.  The guy was just smiling at him, say, “It’s showtime Lulu.” Sehun got up and pulled Luhan to his feet as Jongin placed himself in the middle of the two. Did Sehun know how his smile comforted him? He paused a second to glance over to Sehun, who was positioning himself for the start of the dance. Why does he have that effect on me? It’s…it’s only been a day. Before he could answer his own question, the bass tempo to the intro of the song had started and then nothing else mattered then. Only the music did.


He was just flicking through his notes, purposely taking ages to get to the next page, as their Sunbae eyed them naughtily. .Key was milking this a little too much. The fact that Key had dropped his pokerface as soon as all they finished did comfort him a little. Luhan caught a smile. It did little to make him comfortable but at least he saw it.

“So…I’ve made my decision.” Key said, grinning to himself. After disassembling the tripod and placing into his green leopard print backpack (where Key pulled that out from, Luhan had no idea),  he scooted his chair over to Luhan and the rest of the members who were huddling in a group on the floor. Then, randomly, Key shifted in chair to the right a bit.

“Kyungsoo. No peeking.” Wagging his finger back and forth disapprovingly, Key’s voice had taken a mocking motherly tone as he looked down at Kyungsoo.

 Apparently Kyungsoo’s huge doe eyes were not really good for peeking. Kyungsoo cast his gaze down embarrassed and his soft cheeks reddened.

“The ones who are safe are…Zi Tao, Wu Fan, and Joonmyun as well as the group of, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol.” He saw the teams to his left high five amongst themselves. Luhan also made a mental note that Key pronounced Chinese quite artfully. He often giggled as the little hilt his Korean peers made when they said his name. It didn’t matter that much. It was obvious they even forgot he was Chinese but he kept it to himself. In some aspects, he thought it was a compliment. Korean had not been an easy transition for him when he had first came here. It seemed it was a little harder for Zi Tao, and Wu Fan (who he guessed were Chinese from their names), but they quickly inferred they won. Zi Tao and Wu Fan even hugged each other, and Wu Fan shouted out "Victory!" in Chinese. Luhan couldn't help be happy for the other teams but his own stomach quaked with doubts.

Key showered the two groups with compliments on their performance but pointed out their flaws. Apparently, Tao’s group lacked in choreography and harmony while Baekhyun’s transitions were rough.

He gulped, thinking about his own group’s critique.

 Now though, Luhan was rocking slightly on his heels as he waited for the last group. Key shifted his gaze from each group—his group (Jongin, himself, and Sehun) and the other group (Yixing, Minseok and Jongdae).

“This last group…I think by far did one of the cleanest performances…” Again, Key left an excruciatingly long pause,

“Congrats Luhan, Sehun and Jongin. You’ve escaped.” Key chuckled. Luhan squealed at the results and then tightly clamped his hand over his mouth.I need to stop doing that. Luhan couldn’t help it though. A mix of excitement and relief coursed through his body but he stopped quickly when he saw the losing group’s faces tinged with confusion. He guessed that some of them didn’t quite understand the results but dawn of their loss made him feel guilty. He sat back down and bit his lip. A open hand reached out to him. It was Sehun’s. Without looking at Luhan, Sehun said just low enough for Luhan to hear, “Good Job Lulu.” Luhan could just guess that sehun had a sloppy grin spread across his face. “Thanks.” Luhan hissed, smacking away  Sehun’s hand. This guy would never stop teasing him would he? He folded his arms across his chest as he heard Sehun chuckling to the side. Luhan’s heart skipped a beat at the sound of his laugh.

His attention shifted back to the front of the room as he heard the evil chuckle again. Key’s eyes were literally glimmering.

“So…this is my favorite part—the losers.” Their sunbae was rubbing his palms together as he walked up to the three remaining people. All three of them were averting the cat-like eyes in fron of them

“Jongdae, Yixing! MinSeok, I am pleased to tell you will be heading to some of the best dorms.” Key waved his hands. What!? The three couldn’t believe it either since their jaws dropped all at the same time. The phrase “best dorms” apparently needed no translation as Yixing eyes shined a little brighter. “You’ll even get the V.I.P. tour of your sunbaes rooms. We all have been particularly busy and we haven’t been able to …..so you will have a fun time cleaning them for us.” Key was literally jumping for joy as the three silently groaned.

he automatically felt bad for the three. Luhan remembered how some of his past roommates were and…they weren’t always the cleanest. He wondered if Jongin and Sehun were anything like that?

“To make your life better, I supplied you three with gloves so you won’t have to get your pretty little hands dirty. You’re welcome.” He winked to the rest of us. Luhan let out a small chortle.

“Thanks Sunbae.” All three of them chimed (with a hint of sarcasm).

“Hey! Be grateful! Leeteuk gave us nothing!” Key’s tone flare for a second before he realized the secret he had given away and swept his hand back through his blonde hair to regain his composure.

Key began walking towards the door, smug as he could be. At the last minute though, he pivoted around, “Oh! I forgot to mention. The rest of you have tomorrow off.”

“Come on Sunbae!” The bottom team lifted their hand in exasperation and disbelief. The rest of the members, including himself, snickered a little. Even if it was a little cruel.

“Too bad. Good luck with Jonghyun’s room. It reeks.” Key exaggerated himself gagging while he stuck his tongue out and clasped his throat for air.

“Bye!” As soon as Key’s blond hair disappeared from the now closed doorway. With Key gone,  Yixing let a burst of Chinese curses.

Luhan didn’t care to translate them but, let’s just say, Yixing was grumpy on the bus ride to their dorms.

He couldn’t complain.


Or so he thought.

Crap.

“What”

“ …is…”

“ this?”

All three of them glanced around of their new dorm. It was great. Big windows. A flat screen television. A decent bathroom the only problem was…

there were only two beds.

“This has to be a mistake. There are three of us!” Jong in looked at him and Sehun, scrunching his brows together. Luhan shirked off duffels bags loaded on his shoulders and walked over to the two beds, which were on the opposite ends of the room.

The two beds weren’t exactly the same. In fact, on the right side, there was a bunk bed however the bottom was replaced with a desk area. The other bed was a dark wooden queen bed frame that had two twin mattress stuck together.  He guessed the room was put together haphazardly.

“Maybe the company was too cheap to buy more beds.” Sehun guessed as he leaned on the doorway. He nodded, agreeing. SM was stingy about the oddest things.

“I guess we will have to guess by age. Whoever is the oldest decides who goes where. Okay?” Sehun suggested. Luhan glanced at the two around him, sighing. I’m probably the young--

 “Well, I was born in, April 12, 1994” Sehun said as sat oon the end of the larger bed, dangling his lithe legs off the side. What? Luhan’s eyes bulged out a little.

Kai laughed. “I guess I’m older than you then Sehun. I was born on January 14, 1994.” Double what? They redirected their gaze to him. “What about you Luhan?”

“I was born on April 20th....” He bit down his lip before murmuring, “1990.” Luhan felt no idea why but he felt embarrassed for being the oldest one. He had actually though at least one of the two were older than him, especially Sehun.

Before he knew it, Luhan found himself being inspected by his two members as they bombarded him with comments like,“No way! You must be lying!” His blush flared. He felt like he was at the doctor's for an examination, as the two scanned him head to two.

“I’m taller though!” Sehun inched so close that he was chest to chest with Luhan as he waved his hand above the two of them. It was true. He was a few centimeters taller than him.

“Ya! I’m your hyung! Don’t pick on my height!” Luhan pushed Sehun away, mostly because Sehun was so close that he could feel the heat radiating off him.

“…but your baby face.” Jong In murmured, rubbing his chin confused. Luhan shot a pleading look, shutting Jong In up. Jong In smiled back sheepishly, mouthing a small apology.  

“I refuse to believe it! Let me see your ID.” Sehun stuck his hand, still shocked. Was this guy serious?

Luhan guessed not and dug through his bag. He handed over his red Korean Identity Card. Sehun took it from him, intensely staring at the card, and every few seconds, looked back and forth between him and the ID.

Then, he started laughing.

“ Luhan…WHAT IS WITH YOUR HAIR? It is so shaggy!” Sehun wheezed from laughing too hard. Luhan gasped and snatched it back for Jong In got curious.

“It was in fashion.” Luhan murmured, a little bitter, causing Sehun to laugh again.

 “Okay, hyung. Who is sleeping where?” Sehun asked. He seemed amused and smug now. This punk.

“Ummm…” Now Luhan was stumped again.

Personally, He didn’t want to share the large bed but…he was deathly afraid of heights. It had carried over from his childhood but he had it bad. fact, even the height of the bunk bed would keep him up at night. He chewed on his lip as he stared back at his waiting roommates, stalling as he thought of a way out of his dilemma. He did not want to admit this, especially to his new hyungs.

 “Hyung!” Jong In raised his hand timidly.

“Yes?” Luhan begged to God that Jong In would somehow save him.

“Before you make your decision, I think I should get the bunk bed since I am still in school.” Yes!

He turned to Sehun.

“Do you still go to school?” Sehun snorted. “I graduated early a year ago.” He let out a small “O”.  Smart kid…still irritating cocky though.

“So, it’s decided. Jong In you can get the bunk bed. Sehun and I will just have to share the larger bed.”

Jong In smiled brightly and Sehun shrugged and reclined onto the plush comforter. As the two of them began settling in, his words began to hit him.

Sehun and I sharing a bed?

He glanced at Sehun, who was already bickering with Jong In  over the bookshelf space.

Hopefully, we’ll be able to get another bed.

Or Sehun will tease me until I die of a heart attack.

Luhan let out a small sigh and went to break up the headlock Jong In had Sehun stuck in.


A/N

I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR LIKE 2-3 WEEKS. I WILL BE UPLOADING ANOTHER CHAPTER THIS WEEKEND. OTL I’ve just have so many tests coming up.

On another note, I know this is a PAINfully slow chapter but things will speed up the next chapter!!!

‿  ⊙The things I have planned.

Thank you for all the nice comments. I usually thank each subscriber but honestly, I have my hands tied with school at the moment. I truly appreciate everyone though. ^^; I was just shocked to see un-subscriber last time. ;-; I didn’t put enough of the otps inside the last chapter did I from what I heard back from. As for the SHINee, I forgot I was putting them in this chapter as well since Key had to judge >o< (So yes to the subscriber who asked here is a little more Shinee for  you)

I just realized how this picture connects to the hunhan I put // here//.  

Did anybody realize what the titles were? Why are my chapter titles so random? Oh well.

See you next time. Soon C:

please comment ;u;