16: No One Knows What's About to Happen~

Coffee Kiss~ [Snapshots of the Heart~]

So Eun’s POV

It’d be two weeks since I’d moved out of Myungsoo’s apartment, roaming around as my nonexistent salary wasn’t able to pay for a consistent monthly rent fee.

“So Eun?”, a voice behind me called, hesitantly.

“Oh, WooHyun-sshi?”, I said, startled as I saw him approaching me.

“Yes… I… I wanted to ask…if you wanted a job at Kiss Café? I’m looking for some employees and I was wondering if you were interested… You were about to turn in an application that… um… that one day, right?”

“Oh, yeah….that’s right, um, WooHyun-sshi, no offense, but I don’t think it’s smart of me to take a job there…I mean, I think people would get… the wrong idea…” 

“Don’t worry. I already gave Myungsoo the job of manager there”, WooHyun said, with a sigh. He ran his hand through his hair, pushing it to one side. I love it when Myungsoo has that hairstyle.

“You gave Myungsoo a job…?”, I asked in disbelief. Are they friends again?

“Well, he threatened to come every day and take up customer room to watch over you if I wouldn’t give him a position… so…”

Myungsoo oppa! Stop taking care of me!

I sighed and said, “Thanks, but… I think I’m going to pass…”

Suddenly, I heard my name called. My name.

“Eun ah, are you really planning to spend the rest of your life like a hobo?”

WooHyun’s faced clouded over as Myungsoo walked over, dressed promptly in the school uniform and wearing glasses.

My face also clouded over, but my heart was fluttering like crazy.

Oppa, I really miss you.

“Myungsoo, stop taking care of me! I’m doing fine on my own”, I said angrily as he approached me, crossing my arms to show my dissatisfaction.

Myungsoo grinned cheekily and replied, “Eun ah, being homeless is not ‘doing fine’.

“Be quiet, someone might hear you”, I said. Actually, I was embarrassed that Myungsoo would say that in front of the clueless WooHyun, but Myungsoo looked at me with his eyebrow raised and said, “Wait… you’re not thinking that I insulted you by leaving coffee out for you every morning?”

What? It isn’t him…? Did I hear him wrong or did he say what I think he said?

“Who else would do that…?”, my voice trailed off as WooHyun abruptly left our conversation and left the building.

Oh.

Suddenly, I felt a tornado of emotions inside me. I wasn’t sure if I was disappointed that it was WooHyun and not Myungsoo who had been leaving me things… or if I was happy that Myungsoo had trusted that I would be fine on my own… Was I upset? At who? Myungsoo, for letting me be? WooHyun, for not giving up on me? At myself…?

I turned to leave, but Myungsoo grabbed my wrist.

“Eun ah… why would I leave those things for you? Don’t you know that I trust your words? If you say you need me, then you need me. If you say you don’t need me and you want to leave… isn’t it right for me to let you go?”

His eyebrows knit at his own words and I could see that Myungsoo himself had been questioning whether it was right or not to leave me by myself these past weeks…

“Yeah, I guess….”, I said, but my heart felt heavy.

His words are true… but for some reason, I’m disappointed.

“Eun ah, you’re going to take the job at the café, right?”, Myungsoo asked me gently, sensing my sudden sorrow.

Feeling confused and ashamed of myself, I just nodded and left as quickly as he could.

Myungsoo’s hair is brushed straight today…. :/

 

WooHyun’s POV

The opening day of the café was tomorrow. I was shopping for ingredients and unfortunately, was obliged to take Hae Young along with me to shop for coffee beans.

I would have asked Dambi, but I needed some time away from her after a few nights ago. How those words “you’re beautiful” escaped my lips… I’ll never know…

“WooHyun-sshi? WooHyun-shhi, hellooo?” Hae Young waved her scarf in my face, trying to get my attention.

“Is your tie too tight? You can’t seem to focus on anything right now…”, Hae Young told me, pouting childishly.

I shook my head, annoyed by her clingy behavior. “Did you pick all the coffee beans yet?”, I asked her, wanting to leave.

“Yeah, I had that done a long time ago… The problem is… I don’t know what ingredients our baker needs to get….

“Flour, eggs, milk…?”, I told her. Obviously.

“Well, duh, but I don’t know exactly what kind of ingredients he prefers to bake with… What brand and what mix…”, she replied.

“Just get the most expensive one”, I answered simply.  

Hae Young threw a glare at me and said fiercely, “You really have no sense or style. Great taste doesn’t come from how expensive it is. You think money is everything?”

“You’re telling me it’s not?”, I asked her, my eyebrow raised, “When you’re the one that begged me for this job to get paid?”

I saw Hae Young bite her bottom lip and knew she was biting back fighting words, but she simply threw her scarf arrogantly over her shoulder and continued shopping.

We continued shopping in sour silence until we were loading things into the car.

“What tastes better? Store-bought kimchi or homemade kimchi?”, Hae Young suddenly asked me.

“Um…” It’s actually been a while since I ate homemade kimchi… I…. “I forgot what homemade kimchi tastes like…”, I replied, slightly embarrassed, “I’ve been busy lately”, I added at the end, to defend myself.

“I figured”, Hae Young muttered under her breath.

What does that mean?

“Drop me off at the Men’s Department Store”, Hae Young ordered, getting into the car.  

“Men’s?”, I said, surprised. What does a girl have to buy at the Men’s Clothing Store?

“Don’t ask questions, it’s not your business, just take me there.”

I rolled my eyes. She’s so freaking rude. “You can walk if you want”, I threw back at her.

“Just go”, she replied, not realizing she was shutting the door on her scarf.

 I sighed heavily. How does she live her life in such a dumpy way? It makes me feel choked up.

“What?”, Hae Young asked defensively, noticing my annoyed and pointed stare.

“It’s not my tie that’s choked up, it’s your scarf”, I pointed out, and drove off before she could unhook her scarf from the car door.