15: You're Beautiful~

Coffee Kiss~ [Snapshots of the Heart~]

Myungsoo’s POV

I sighed as I stopped in front of the bench that was now So Eun’s home.

I sat on the ground next to the bench and lightly touched her cheek with my fingertips.

It’s hard to let you out of my sight… do you know that? It’s hard to watch you keep your lips pressed together tightly when you hear the rumors about you that people at school say about you and your parents…

I let my hand drop to the floor, and I nearly knocked something over.

It was a cup of coffee…

I sighed…

Again?

WooHyun really doesn’t know how to respect people’s decisions… He keeps leaving things for her… Don’t you know that only hurts her pride?

I mean, yeah, I did her homework for her that first night… but that’s it.

I know how hard it is to try to live by yourself… and I know that the greatest support you can get is to let the person struggle and grow by themself…

I sighed… You know it’s not me that keeps leaving you things… right?

I gently pulled a strand of hair away from her face…

I’ll see you at school… and don’t give up, Eun ah. Don’t give up.

 

WooHyun’s POV

“Dambi, you’re coming over at six, right?”, I asked over the phone.

“Six? Why so early? Isn’t the dinner party at eight?”, she asked, confused.

“Yeah, but you need to get ready.”  

“Can’t I just get ready at my place?”

“No, I need you to be at my house at six…”

I could sense her hesitance, so I added, “I’m paying you for the hours, remember?”

I heard her pause and then she said, “Fine, I’ll be there at six.”

“Fantastic”, I replied wryly, and shut off the phone.

Money always talks.

“Mom, my date’s coming over at six. I’m taking her downtown to get her ready”, I said, entering the kitchen.

“Okay, WooHyun.”

I turned to leave, but she called to me, “WooHyun?”

I paused.

“I’m so proud of you.”

My eyes closed as I struggled to keep my emotions at bay.

I can’t even tell if I’m happy or angry anymore...

“Thanks, Mom”, I choked out and then hastily left to my room.

I could feel Mom’s worried eyes lingering on the door I’d just slammed shut.

I threw myself on the bed and closed my eyes.

What am I becoming?

 

Hae Young’s POV

“You’re really dating WooHyun-sshi now?”, I asked Dambi in disbelief.

“Yeah, I told you that five times already! We agreed to take it slow…”, Dambi replied, smiling.

 They’ve barely known each other for two weeks… what is this?

“C’mon, we need to be at WooHyun’s in ten. Let’s go”, Dambi said, and walked out the door.

~

We came to a stop in front of a house with a huge black gate around it.

Looks like a prison…

“WooHyun? I’m here”, Dambi spoke into the caller-ID at the front of the gate. There was a brief reply and then the heavy gate swung open.

WooHyun drove out in a sleek black Lexus and motioned for us to get in. He looked like a silent action movie star, smoothly rolling out in his car.

Dambi and I climbed into the car. I felt slightly out-of-place, my scarf and lace-up boots were dragging dirt into the spotlessly clean car.

WooHyun threw me an obviously skeptical look as I clambered into the backseat.

“You brought her along?”, he asked Dambi, dislike clear on his face.

“Yeah, she was curious to see my make-over”, Dambi replied, glancing back at me huddled up against the side of the car, self-consciously peering out the window.

WooHyun scoffed, “She doesn’t really seem like the type to care about appearances…”  

I pouted to myself.  

Well, what does this rich, arrogant son of a – know about me?

Hmmph.  

Did I call him a silent movie star?

Well, I preferred him silent.

 

WooHyun’s POV

I must admit, I was impressed with how Son Dambi cleaned up after herself. She was drop-dead gorgeous after the stylist had finished her work. Even more impressive was Hae Young’s ability to match fashion styles: the outfit she picked for Dambi was stunning. A glittering, short-cut navy blue dress with a dazzling pearl necklace and fierce black pumps.

“You have an eye for fashion”, I complimented Hae Young as I looked Dambi up and down for the final check.

“You sound insultingly surprised”, she threw back quickly, though her eyes were still on Dambi.

“It was unexpected”, I replied, surprised at how offensively she was taking it. She’s like a little kid… the way she reacts to things.

“All right, we’ve finished, sir”, the stylist addressed me, her eyes on my coat pocket. Her words are polite, but her eyes are already searching my wallet.

I fished out a couple bills and handed them to her, and then offered Dambi my arm.

She took it graciously and we glided out of the beauty salon.

Hae Young tripped behind us.  

~

I’d dropped Hae Young off and she’d waved good-bye already. It was just Dambi and me.

“Remember my conditions for being your trophy wife?”, Dambi asked me.

“I’ll pay you after”, I answered shortly. I hate constantly thinking about money. Just… stop. Stop talking about it.

“No, I…well, there was something else… you said you’d… everytime you call me out, you have to do one thing for me my ex-boyfriend used to do for me…”, Dambi responded, blushing slightly.

I sighed internally. Why is she so sentimental? I hope it’s nothing ridiculous.

“Can you… tell me I’m beautiful?”

“What?”, the word slipped out of my mouth. What…?

“It’s just two words… you’re beautiful. Just say that.”

This is embarrassing as hell.

“Later, okay?”, I replied, stalling for time.

Dambi nodded, though she was looking down at her hands.

Awkward…

~

The dinner party was going quite smoothly. I was receiving many compliments on my business management so far and many partnerships were offered to me, all of which I politely declined. Partnership, my . They’re all hoping to control me… since I’m young and new to the business world…

By my side, Dambi was also picture-perfect, all courtesy and beauty.

“Oh, look”, she suddenly whispered in my ear, “It’s the boy from the front of the café…”

I turned and sure enough, it was Myungsoo.

Who invited him? Oh, right. He owns most of the stocks of the companies here… Including mine.

I gritted my teeth, but waited for him to approach us.  

“Mr.Nam”, he said, one eyebrow raised as he approached myself and Dambi.

“Mr.Kim”, I said, inclining my head, “this is Ms.Son. Ms.Son, this is Mr.Kim.”

“Pleasure”, Myungsoo said, kissing her hand. Myungsoo then turned to me with a smirk and commented, “I didn’t know you had this pretty lady by your side, Mr.Nam. If I had, I might not have judged you so harshly back then.”

He’s telling me he knows this relationship is fake…Ignorant-…Hold the rage in, WooHyun. Hold it.

“And you’re alone? Good-looking boy like you..”, I asked, trying to maintain my tone.

“Quite alone”, Myungsoo answered, “I don’t mix business with personal relationships if I can help it… which leads me to say: there is a favor I would like you to do for me.”

I’ll do it for you when I go to hell.

“Yes, Mr.Kim?”

“There’s a certain struggling student at our school who is in want of a job. I am aware that your café targets students as employees-“

“I thought you don’t mix business with personal relationships”, I interrupted through gritted teeth. Does he think he can just manipulate me whenever he wants? Keep So Eun away if he wants and make me take her if he wants?

“If I can help it, I said”, Myungsoo replied, his voice suddenly changed. “In this case”, he continued, his voice dropping to a whisper, “…I can’t help it. I have to help her, or at least not make things harder for her.” He’d dropped his business demeanor entirely.  

“I can’t help you”, I responded shortly. I made to turn away but Myungsoo grabbed my elbow.

“You’re already helping her through other ways… why can’t you do this for her?”, he asked me, his eyes pleading.

He knows about the coffee… and the hot pack… and the blanket… that I’ve been leaving for So Eun.

“Are you admitting you can’t take care of her?”, I asked him, also dropping the façade. This was something I’d been curious about evr since So Eun had moved out. Is he admitting defeat?

Myungsoo hesitated and then he said softly, “I am taking care of her.”

We stared at each other, not dropping each other’s gaze.

Suddenly, Myungsoo’s eyes flicked back and forth.

I stared at him. He’s trying to tell me something.

His eyes flicked back and forth gain. I peered sideways without moving my face.

Groan.

Reporters were everywhere here, listening intently to every word Myungsoo and I were saying.

Crap, crap, crap. How do I cover this up…? How…?

As quickly as possible, everyone's getting the wrong impression already! Just... just two words… just…

!!!

I slowly and deliberately turned to the girl next to me, cupped her face in between my two hands, stared soulfully into her gorgeous eyes and said to her lovingly, “Son Dambi, you’re beautiful.”