Alone

Holding The Light (Oneshot collections)

Author's Note: Okay, so this is a one-shot that I wrote a long, long time ago. It was posted up on my Soshified and Livejournal account, and the response was... a bit mixed. This is the first time I wrote something very tragic so I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this kind of fic here, because I didn't want to be bombarded with um... certain comments. You'll see why I didn't really wanna post this up after you read it. Trigger warning here. There's death in this story, so if you don't like that, don't read it. For better effect, listen to this song while you're reading it.

Title: Alone
Pairing: OT9
Genre: Tragedy, Angst
Summary: What if everything you've kept close to your heart was taken away from you in an instant?

 

 

The whole place was empty.

Except for an untouched and dusty showcase filled with trophies from way back.

The people who had lived here must have been very successful, judging by the amount of prestigious awards they had achieved. Now, it looked like they were just placed there for the sake of making the living room less barren. The rays of light coming from the nearby window seeped its way through the gloomy room, making it easier for the petite woman to navigate and do what she had to do.

Her once flawless face was now covered with a few scars here and there, and a bandage around her huge forehead. She gripped the strap of her shoulder bag tightly as she walked slowly inside the dorm, while observing the room before her.

Nostalgia suddenly invaded her mind. All sorts of memories were flooding around in her head. The people she shared those memories with…

Her objective for coming here was temporarily forgotten, as she began to explore this place that she once called her second home. Without all the furniture and personal belongings around, the dorm felt more like an abandoned house.

Each steps she took made her emotions slowly want to burst and explode.

Taeyeon held back her tears. She needed to stay strong, but it was difficult when she was in a situation like this.

She wondered how everything she had kept closest to her was taken away so easily in a blink of an eye.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.



It was just like any other normal day for them. Travelling around in every nook and cranny of Seoul to get to their destination via their huge SUV, driven by their manager. It was noisy as usual, mostly from the Four Resident Pranksters in the group.

The Ice Princess was visibly annoyed by their crazy antics, and started scolding them to keep the noise level down, but to no avail.

The Eye-smiling Queen was amused and genuinely enjoyed the comedic scene happening before her.

The Maknae was in a dilemma on whether to whine to her unnies to settle down, or laugh whole-heartedly at them. She chose the latter.

The Energy Pill ignored her members as she was paying more attention to her Nintendo DS, cursing at it when her character fell into a pit of burning lava.

Yup, everything was fine like any other normal day for the group, thought Taeyeon, as she stared out the window.

The SUV started moving as the red light changed to green again.

She thought too soon.

If the traffic light changed a bit later, their vehicle would not have been hit by a speeding car running a red light.



~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The Leader managed to crawl out from the upside-down pile of wreck through the broken window, with every ounce of strength she had left.

She laid her bloodied body onto the road.

She turned her head towards the SUV.

Her vision was getting blurry, but she knew she had seen the lifeless bodies of her most precious people inside the vehicle.

Bleeding…

Voices from alerted passer-bys came into her ears.

And finally, darkness closed in on her.


~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Taeyeon did not know why…but as soon as that horrible piece of memory came back to haunt her, all of her emotions were pouring out while she was going through the now empty rooms of the dorms.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

‘Where am I?’

All she could see were the ceiling lights.

She blinked her eyes to regain her vision. She was in a room she had never seen before. She was lying on an unusually stiff and uncomfortable bed. But the smell of the room was familiar. She did not like the smell at all.

“Ah! You’re finally awake!”

She turned her head to the direction of the voice.

It was a nurse. She was in a hospital.

‘No wonder it smells like death in here,’ she thought.

“Wait for a moment while I’ll get the doctor!”

The doctor came into the room.

“Miss Taeyeon, we’re so glad that you have woken up from your coma.”

Taeyeon was confused.

“A coma? H-how long was I asleep here?”

“It has been exactly three months… since that terrible accident. Do you happen to remember anything?”

Taeyeon jolted up from her bed once she heard the word ‘accident’.

“WHERE ARE MY MEMBERS!?MY FRIENDS!? ARE THEY SAFE!?”

The doctor’s face darkened after his patient’s outburst.

Taeyeon knew the dreaded answer by just looking at his expression, but she didn’t want it to be true…

“I am sorry but…your members…were not as lucky as you, Miss Taeyeon."

For once in her life, Taeyeon wished that she could have taken her other eight members’ place instead.


~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The news of her members’ deaths struck her hard.

After she was released from the hospital, Taeyeon and her family paid their last respects to her beloved members.

She never would have thought that she would be seeing their graves like this.

It was one of the last things she would ever want to see.

“Taeyeon dear… Your manager told your father and me about something important,” her mother spoke.

“What is it, mom?”

“He said that all of your awards and trophies are still kept inside your dorm. He wants you to keep them as mementos and in memory of your group and members."

Taeyeon broke her gaze away from the graves and looked at her parents.

“Okay, I’ll go get them.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Taeyeon wiped her tear-stained face with a piece of tissue that she had brought along with her. She needed to get this over and done with.

She went back to the empty living room and stood in front of the tall showcase before her. She reminisced about how happy they all were whenever they received an award. How they would always have a group hug and celebrate their victories together. Those were such good times they had together.

Another lone tear trailed down the contours of her face.

Taeyeon shook away the thoughts and proceeded to open the showcase.

A lot of trophies to be kept; luckily she also brought along a huge plastic bag to place them inside. One by one, she stared at the trophies for a few seconds before placing it into the bag.

Finally, the showcase was also empty at last, just like the deserted dorm.

She closed it back and carried the heavy bag, while making her way to the front door.

Taeyeon stopped and looked back.

It was as empty as ever.

The memories she had here, with her members, everything.

She will never ever forget them.

Even though they were already gone from this world forever, Taeyeon knew that they were somewhere in heaven up above her, smiling down at her. They would not want to see a mourning Taeyeon. And for that, she vowed to herself to continue on with her life, as happy as she was when she’s with them.

With her objective here done, she exited the dorm.

Life goes on for her.

END


A/N: Does anyone need a box of tissues? And thank you very much for reading my stories and all the comments! I greatly appreciate them!