In a moment you can stop and breathe

In a moment

"That's the ideal meeting... once upon a time, only once, unexpectedly, then never again."

                     

"Ah! KYUHYUN!"
The stranger shrieked pointing towards him so loud that Kyuhyun literally jumped on his seat. He looked at the blonde boy. What the hell?
"You are Choi Kyuhyun, right?", he dropped his hand, coming closer. Kyuhyun tried to jerk away not liking the closeness but the space was limited as the other sat on the bench as well, bright eyes and a wide smile.
Kyuhyun managed to respond only with bewildered look.
"It's you, right?", he leveled his gaze with Kyuhyun's. "I'm Hyukjae, Lee Hyukjae. From Hyorin high school?"
Something clicked in Kyuhyun's brain. Lee Hyukjae, a classmate when he still lived in Incheon. He hadn't thought of him in year, not since he moved away. He could vaguely about gummy smiles and loud laugh but Kyuhyun never really interacted with his classmates then. He was too busy with piano lessons and competitions.
Seeing his eyes twitch with realization, Hyukjae clapped his hands in joy.
"It is you!", he exclaimed. "Man, I can recognize you anywhere, you hadn't changed at all.", he moved uncomfortable close then. "How are you? We haven't see each other for ages. But I guess that's how life goes, huh? I don't keep in touch with anyone from out class. Have you heard somebody? Man, it's so good to see you!"
So much words thrown at him at once, Kyuhyun felt dizzy. He didn't proceed half of them, thinking only how Hyukjae was sitting way too close to him and how he could prefer for the boy to go away. Even if they knew each other back then there was no joy in meeting again.
"You don't talk much, do you?", but Hyukjae was really dense it seemed as he just continued rambling, looking closely at Kyuhyun's face. "I think you were much more talkative back then. You didn't have the serious vibe as well."

That was enough, Kyuhyun stood up. There was no desire to hear about the past.
Without even sparing a glance he started walking away. Maybe he can go home, go to sleep immediately and not meet anybody at home.
"Did somebody sue your mouth or something? Ya, where are you going?!" Hyukjae only didn't give up, suddenly walking on the same lever with Kyuhyun. Or more like wobbling as the brunette noticed, his right leg lightly dragging behind.
"We haven't see each other for years. Let's have a hot chocolate or something, huh?"
His smile was warm and inviting, a smile Kyuhyun hadn't seen for the longest time. He stopped on his track, looking at Hyukjae a moment too long before finally opening his mouth.
"You have been mistaken. Don't follow me.", he forced himself to mumble, his hoarse voice almost disappearing in the park's uproar.

"He uses his voice now. When he absolutely wants something."

Hyukjae stepped away from him, surprised that finally Kyuhyun had spoken and in the same time embarrassed by his words.
Kyuhyun started walking once more.
"Hey! Don't go away!"
Over his shoulder he could see as Lee Hyukjae plopped back down on the bench, eyes downwards towards his bad leg. There was an unreadable expression on his face and for a second Kyuhyun wondered what it is but quickly chased the thought away.
But the time he went to bed he had completely forgotten the boy.

*

 

"Yah, This is insane! Even for an early practice I don't have to wake up so early."
... until the next morning.
It was a little bit before 6 a.m. and Kyuhyun was completely dumbfounded looking at a very sleepy and very real Lee Hyukjae, comfortably settled on his usual spot. He had a carton of milk in one hand, straw between the plump lips, and a pair of crutches at the other.
'How?', the taller could only think as the blonde boy gave him a piece sign in success, smiling the gummy smile from before.
"The ice-cream lady was really nice and told me you were here every morning during the choir rehearsal.", he explained reading Kyuhyun's shocked face. "Do you have somebody in the choir? Otherwise..."
Sighing Kyuhyun tuned out Hyukjae's ramblings that were starting once again. Sitting down he averted his gaze to the building in front hoping the boy will at least get the hint and shut up if not leave him alone.
"You can't ignore me this time, Kyuhyun!", only the blonde was pretty stubborn. He pocked at his arm, sticking his tongue out mockingly to Kyuhyun's glare. "I'm in great pain today. You have to be nice!"
Casting his eyes to the direction Hyukjae had pointed, Kyuhyun saw that his right leg was currently in cast.
"Can you believe it?! I have to keep it for two whole weeks! I can't even take a piss right..."
He pouted and Kyuhuyn felt amused for this weird human being. He was sticking to him without even knowing him. Even when he practically chased him away he came back.
Maybe because Kyuhyun had a good dreamless night, maybe because in that smile he didn't detect any pity, or hesitation, or fear, he decided to just let it be. The music started and he closed his eyes, the world ceasing to exist.
When he opened them again, only after the last note faded away, he became aware of the soft snores near him. Looking down he saw Hyukjae curled up next to him, palms under his head and eyes closed.

"Mmm...", Hyukjae's eyelids fluttered faintly registering some change around him."Hae?" 
But there was no Donghae as he opened his eyes and felt his body stiff from sleeping on the hard wood. He looked around and saw Kyuhyun's back slowly moving away again. Hyukjae's first impulse was to run to him again but remembering yesterday he held himself.
"See you again tomorrow, Kyuhyun!", instead he shouted after him.

Kyuhyun sighed. He knew he was death serious about it.

*

 

And he was right, Hyukjae was there the next day. And the day after that. And after that. He was waiting for Kyuhyun every single day for the whole week. Sometimes the brunette wondered if he actually slept on the bench. One day he will be almost asleep, the always present straw hanging loosely between his lips. Or he will hum an unknown melody, his good leg moving on the ground with the imaginary beat and Kyuhyun will pretend he is not interested what the song is. And sometimes he will wait, looking at Kyuhyun's direction with bright eyes, waving at him with a smile when he shows up and talking as soon as the taller was within hearing range.
"You know, you grew up to be quite handsome, Kyu!", he would giggle.
"Stay still, I will imagine you with a smile for good morning.", he would stop him on his track. "Aw, how cute!"
"Hey, let's get ice cream after that!", he would suggest and though they never did he would smile warmly and hand a carton of milk to Kyuhyun the next day.

The taller boy though it was annoying at first, having to deal with an over-hipped child all the time. He dreaded the time he will meet him again, hated the fact that his time has been invaded.
Until suddenly he realized he doesn't mind it that much. Not that he wouldn't prefer the other to be gone, but Hyukjae didn't do much in fact. He hadn't tried to make Kyuhyun speak, he hadn't asked him why he's gloomy. He hasn't opened his mouth during the music. And he hasn't tried to follow Kyuhyun after that.
In fact, if Kyuhyun just sit next to him and endure few of his questions or just tune them out, it was not that bad. Sitting next to someone who for the first time wasn't trying to be careful. Hyukjae smiles weren't overly cheerful and fake. He wasn't going out of his way to just tell him everything was going to be alright. The blonde boy didn't know Kyuhyun, he didn't know anything from his pitiful self. So it was like a touch to something unknown for the brunette - to be around somebody who seemed so much more absorbed in himself than in Kyuhyun's tragedy.
Kyuhyun didn't know until when it would continue. If Hyukjae would be the first to grow bored and move away or would Kyuhyun break first and bring everything down.
In his guts he placed a bet on the latter.

*

 

A bad day.
Kyuhyun thought he has forgotten what that was like, but once you know it you can't really forget.
"A nervous breakdown to panic attack", his doctor had called it. For Kyuhyun it was more like falling deeper and deeper into the black hole. Like a desperation everything will continue for ever and ever and will never stop.

It was still dark outside when he woke up from his dreams again, voices echoing in his head. There was cold sweat on his forehead, his whole body was as if made from iron not able to move an inch. But his minds was running wild, heart beat increasing with hundreds in one second.
There was no thought of trying to calm himself down so with shaky legs, as if on a slow motion he stood up from the bed and went out of the room.
Filling a glass of water he took it down in big gulps. One, two, three until he chocks, throat closing up and the glass fell on the floor crashing into pieces.
A moment of silence.
"Kyuhyun?", his mother's voice called from the second floor almost immediately. "Kyuhyun honey, is it you?"
Kyuhyun frantically looked around, caught like an animal in a trap. He could not force his body to move fast enough, there was no way he would deal with the woman right now.
"Kyuhyun?", next he heard his father's voice, dipped in annoyance.
As quickly as possible, barely seeing anything in the dark hallway, he grabbed a random jacket and shoes, and run out from the front door.

 

'Oppa!'

Collided with the real world the voices from his dream became louder and louder, blurring out everything else. Kyuhyun panted heavily, breath coming in staggers. He squatted down, hand or his knees, trying to calm down.
"Are you alright, boy?", a man's shoes appeared in his vision, complemented by a small dog on a leash. He looked up towards a worried elder but as soon as the other tried to touch his shoulder, he jolted frightened away and started running in the opposite direction.
'Away, away', his mind screamed and even if his legs couldn't hold him he forced himself to go as further away as possible. There was no control left.
The blood was raising in his veins. He could feel people watching him - on the street, through the windows of their homes, from their cars. Old woman, man in suits, teenagers, babies. All of them staring at him and he just wanted to burn under their gazes.
At some point his body couldn't take it and he fell down, the asphalt clashing into his cheek.
"Are you ok?", a young woman came to him, scrunching down and touching his back. His lungs refused to take in air.
"Mister?", she tried again but he jumped back, looking at her with frantic eyes.
Without even knowing where he was or where he can go, Kyuhyun started running again.
'Away, away, away...'

 

'Why is he not coming...?', Hyukjae pouted as he looked at his phone for the nth time.
It was almost 6 o'clock and Kyuhyun was still nowhere to be seen. It would be believable - that he can over-sleep sometimes, forget, catches a cold or something. But in the week and a half that Hyukjae decided to pester him, he understood that much about the brunette, that can completely dismiss the possibilities. Listening to the church's chorus was like a sacred time for the other and it was really worrisome that he was about to miss it.
The choir time came and went, Hyukjae sitting down, jumping at every sound that could be Kyuhyun coming. It was literally the last notes being played when he saw the tall body coming towards the church.
"What happened?!", he shouted shocked at his state.

Kyuhyun wobbled dangerously close to falling down. He understood completely that he was late but the little church was still the only place left he could go.
He was tired, sweaty and dirty. He could feel the bloody bruise on his left cheek, the holes on both knees of his jeans and the missing shoe on his foot. There were dirt on his back and things sticking in his hair.
Returning Hyukjae's wide gaze, he moved slowly towards him, not even having the energy to curse he forgot the blonde will be here.
There was ripping pain in his right wrist, although there shouldn't be. His left one was bleeding but nevertheless holding the broken palm as if stopping the blood will help to stop the hurting as well.
'It's all in your head, It's all in your head.', his doctor had told him to tell himself. But it didn't help one bit. The wound was opening and throbbing in his mind along with the voices.

'Kyuhyun... '

'Kyu... '

 'Oppa...'

'It's all all right, you are alive after all...'

'Devastating news....'

Louder and louder...

"Kyuhyun? KYUHYUN?!", Hyukjae run to him, grabbing him  by the shoulder and shaking the taller man. Kyuhyun's eyes managed to focus back on him but only for a mare second before he looked away again.
"Kyuhyun ,are you ok? What happened?", Hyukjae continued to ask because how he could not. It seemed like the other was run over by a car. 
Kyuhyun jerked away roughly, stepping back and out of his reach. But that was never enough for the boy.
"My God, you are bleeding!", Hyukjae grabbed his arm, making the other to look down.
The smaller hand was close, dangerously close to his right wrist, inspecting the long thin scratches till blood which he made this morning. Just because maybe he could rip the pain out.
He removed hastily Hyukjae from himself whispering "I'm fine." with voice even weaker than usual.
"No you are not! You need to clean you wounds, Kyuhyun!"
Maybe it was his punishment, he thought. For letting someone new in his life thinking that maybe it can be ok. Just because he didn't know him yet and didn't pity him yet.
"I'm fine..."
"Come on, let's take you to the medical office in the academy.", not listening Hyukjae took him by the elbow and tried to lead him.
"I ing said I'm ok!" Kyuhyun screamed the best he could, a strong jerk braking off from Hyukjae and sending him on the ground.
The other winced in pain and Kyuhyun bit his lips in something that could be guilt a long time ago.
"Don't touch me."

"He uses his voice now. When he absolutely wants something."

Hyukjae looked at him with fear not daring to stand up from the ground. His right leg had bend under him and he could feel it hurting faintly under the plaster.
There was plead in Kyuhyun's eyes however, that stopped him from speaking more. 'Don't touch me. Don't help me.' ... 'Don't leave me alone.'
He took a heavy breath and stood up with difficulty. Wobbling till the bench he fell on the wood.
"Ok, Kyu.", he said quietly. "I won't touch you, don't worry."

Kyuhyun's eyes widened on his own turn. He inched closer and set on the other end, stared at Hyukjae and the other smiling back as best as he could. Kyuhyun half expected for him to even start talking and reassuring once again. Or maybe just blabbing overly cheerful.
But, as if he didn't mind him, Hyukjae just turned his head and rested it on the bench's back, looking at the sky. The grin still on his lips.
He couldn't believe this guy! In his dazed and blurred and noisy mind crept an utter disbelief towards people named Lee Hyukjae, who didn't know him but refused to leave him alone when the only thing he was capable of was ending himself.
Gradually, when there was nothing left, he turned his head above as well. He haven't noticed yet, the crystal blue spring sky. There were no clouds and the sun was still low on the horizon bathing everything in its soft pinkish light. The birds were just starting to fly high, singing their first song for the day.
Kyuhyun closed his eyes and breathed deeply. 'It's all in my head.' timidly he whispered to himself.

"Kyuhyun oppa!"

"It's alright, Kyu.", when he jumped from the voice Hyukjae spoke not averting his eyes. "You just need to sleep it off. Or dream it off. Or eat it off. It will end."
Kyuhyun didn't believe that the stupid guy was trying to give him therapy. Or that he actually listened and stayed on his place, looking at the blue sky even if not daring to close his eyes again.
His heart beat slowed down. After what seemed like hours his body finally became heavy with fatigue. His limbs stopped shaking and the pain subsided till a faint numb. Sometimes near noon the voices in his head stopped.
"I will wait here tomorrow, Kyu!", Hyukjae's was loud and clear when he was shouting behind Kyuhyun's  "Don't you dare make me wake up for nothing!"

*

 

Finally home and in his bed, Kyuhyun's eyelids immediately shut down. Usually he will fear this moment the most - when he was in complete darkness and images will play behind his eyelids.
But this time it was not SeoHyun and not his mother or his doctor that were calling for him. He fell asleep under Hyukjae's calm smiling face looking at the sky.

 


* The quote is from author Helen Oyeyemi

Ok, finally I did it! I had exams all month and it was quite hard for me to write. I hope now I will be able to do it at least once a week. But that's not a promise! I at schedules and making plans.

The whole problem with the previous version of the story was that in the end I just couldn't see why Kyuhyun and Hyukjae would stay with each other. Now I'm trying to make it a little bit more sensible. At least for me >.<. I at making people believably fall in love too.

Thank you so much for the comments on the previous chapter! They made me really happy and I'm sorry I didn't update the story earlier as a BIG thank you! I really love comments and I hope you will be commenting on this story as it goes as well ^^^

Sooo subscribe and comment if you find the story interesting, hehe!

Thank's for reading!

PS: Good night! I should change my habit of updating in 3 a.m.

PSS: Sorry for the usual mistakes in my english.