Chapter 2

Fuori dal Mundo “Outside the World”

 

Kyuhyun stood to Sungmin's left, holding the door to their apartment building open. However, he didn't walk through as he was fighting to stifle his laughter as he watched Sungmin struggle with the door on the right, which just so happened to have a big sign that read “Door Broken, Use Left Door.”
 
Sungmin continued to push at the door, a small pout on his lips until Kyuhyun couldn't take it anymore.
 
“That door is broken.” Kyuhyun announced.
 
Sungmin froze, the pout deepening, before he used his cane to guide himself into the open doorway.
 
“I would have figured it out, you know...” Sungmin mumbled as they made their way to the elevator. 
 
“I felt bad laughing at a blind guy struggling.” Kyuhyun said. You see, his filter of what is appropriate to say was quite clogged.
 
Sungmin faltered for a moment, but only a moment. This was the first time Kyuhyun had mentioned his handicap...and that is what he says! Sungmin should have felt insulted; however, he grinned as he stepped into the elevator, pressing the 5th floor.
 
“Instead of laughing, you could have helped.” Sungmin mumbled in fake irritation, waiting for his expected response. 
 
“You don't want help. I wasn't going to say anything, but the paper was literally in your face and you continued to struggle with the door.” Kyuhyun answered. Yeah...maybe he just didn't have a filter.
 
“Thanks for making me not look like a fool in public; I appreciate it.” Sungmin said, a slight chuckle in his tone. 
 
Kyuhyun smiled at Sungmin's chuckle—at least he wasn't insulting him. 
 
“You're welcome.” Kyuhyun said just as the elevator pinged at the 5th floor.
 
Sungmin moved to step out but stopped when he felt Kyuhyun bump into his side.
 
“Oops...sorry.” Kyuhyun mumbled, stepping to the side to let Sungmin out first.
 
“Oh, you apologize for that...” Sungmin grumbled. He heard the elevator door lose, but felt Kyuhyun's presence beside him still. “You don't have to walk me to my door, I can handle it.”
 
“I'm not. I live down here, too.” Kyuhyun answered.
 
“Oh...” Sungmin mumbled, feeling against the wall and counting the doors. 
 
“After what happened today, do you still think I assume you need help, let alone that I'm going to give it?” Kyuhyun asked, pulling out his key as he neared his door.
 
“I suppose I shouldn't. I'm just used to people babying me. I don't need people's help.” Sungmin said as he slowed to a stop in front of the 6th door on the left, and pulled out his key.
 
“I won't baby you...” Kyuhyun said a bit too quickly, too desperately. Sungmin didn't notice, but Kyuhyun did. He didn't want Sungmin to think of him as everyone else—he wanted to be different. He knew Sungmin didn't talk to many people, but Kyuhyun wanted to get to know him. 
 
“You live here?” Kyuhyun asked after a moment. 
 
“Yeah, why?” Sungmin asked, still trying to take in the meaning of Kyuhyun's previous statement.
 
“I live right across from you...” Kyuhyun muttered, looking back and forth between his door and Sungmin's. “How have I never actually seen you before, then?”
 
Sungmin just shrugged as he fought to get his unlock his door quickly. 
 
Kyuhyun noticed the sudden odd panic that took over Sungmin at the question, but choose not to press it—he was still in euphoria over the fact that he had not only spoken with the boy, but walked home with him, as well. 
 
“Do...Do you want to...maybe get food later?” Kyuhyun asked timidly. “I can't cook, so I usually get delivery, but we can go somewhere if you like...” Kyuhyun looked to his hands, fiddling with his thumbs in shyness. 
 
Sungmin had heard his lock click open, but remained facing the closed door, frozen at Kyuhyun's words.
 
“Um...” Sungmin started, unsure of what he wanted to say.
 
“If you don't want to, you don't have to.” Kyuhyun rushed out. He was a bit curious about Sungmin's reaction, but he didn't want to make the other uncomfortable. “I just thought...you know—company.”
 
Sungmin took a moment, trying to quickly digest all of the thoughts, all of the excuses that were rushing through his head like rapids. Kyuhyun did seem different, he hadn't asked any questions yet...but people aren't always who they seem, right? Did he want to chance it? Was it worth it?
 
“I have a lot of homework to do...I'm sorry.” Sungmin mumbled, gripping his doorknob with white knuckles. 
 
“Oh...okay, I understand. I will see you tomorrow, though?” Kyuhyun asked. The disappointment was tangible in his voice, no matter how hard he tried to hide it. 
 
“Maybe...” Sungmin mumbled, closing his eyes; his reserved attitude was returning with a ferocity. “...I'm sorry.”
 
With that, Sungmin opened his door and disappeared into his dark apartment, swiftly closing the door behind him. 
 
Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin's door, trying to digest how what he thought had been a nice walk and conversation had turned into Sungmin freezing up and slamming his door in his face. He thought he had been making a breakthrough—they had talked, Sungmin had even chuckled a few times. Kyuhyun thought they could almost be friends now...Maybe not.
 
Kyuhyun huffed a second, before turning to his own door, unlocking it and entering his apartment. For the first time, he was a bit disappointed as he dialed for delivery. 
 
Sungmin leaned against the cool wood of the door as soon as he shut it in Kyuhyun's face. He knew it was late, so his apartment must be really dark, but it didn't matter to him. He stood, staring with wide, foggy eyes at nothing. 
 
Why had he suddenly frozen up on Kyuhyun? Why couldn't he be comfortable meeting people anymore?
 
To be honest, he had never been good with meeting people. In high school, he had only had one real friend that he could call his own, Hyukjae; the other people he had spent time with were friends with Hyukjae. 
 
He let his head slump forward at the thought of his best friend. They hadn't spoken in roughly five years—not since the accident. 
 
He missed Hyukjae. 
 
Hyukjae was the outgoing one, the one who made the friends and allowed Sungmin to always come along no matter what was happening, or who was going. It was always Hyukjae that made sure he wasn't lonely. But, although the younger wasn't with him anymore, he could only blame himself for his current loneliness. 
 
Why hadn't he just agreed to go to eat with Kyuhyun? He had no homework! He was painfully ahead in school work as he never did anything—whether that homework was right, he didn't really know; it was hard for him to pay attention in his classes. 
 
No, instead of company, and a possible friend, Sungmin choose another night of sitting on his couch, eating a microwaved dinner and listening to a television show that he couldn't fully grasp from not being able to actually see it. This was his life—this was his choice. 
 
But now...now he was questioning whether his decision making was accurate. 
 
~
 
Sungmin stood outside of the door to the music room, to the piano. He bit his lip as he contemplated whether or not to go in. 
 
If he went in, he would probably loose himself, and get surprised by Kyuhyun, again. But if he didn't go, he would miss the feeling of the cool ivory tingling his finger tips. But he didn't want to see Kyuhyun...
 
He let out a frustrated sigh before pushing the door open and counting his steps to the piano stool. 
 
He dropped his backpack to the floor, letting his cane rest against the side of the piano. He brushed the tips of his fingers against the keys as he sat down at the stool. He froze with his fingers hovering over the keys.
 
If he just pressed them gently...Just to make a little noise...He had heard it before, and this piano made beautiful music. If he just pressed here-
 
“No.” Sungmin said audibly as he retracted his hands. He quickly stood up and moved to the back of the piano, cursing as he kicked his cane in his rush; however, he let it fall to the floor, trying to listen to where it landed to keep track of it. 
 
He pressed his palms flat against the black wood of the back of the instrument. It was so smooth and cool to the touch—this was why he came. When he played the piano, he had memorize his instrument, memorized every curve, every crevice, and every crack. His piano had felt like this—always cool to the touch, even in the middle of June, when his hair would flutter in the breeze from a fan, but sweat still beaded on his neck. 
 
Sungmin closed his eyes and bent at the waist, pressing his cheek against the cool wood as he had a few days ago. It felt so nice, so soothing against his flushed cheek.
 
“Why do you do that?” 
 
Sungmin shot up straight—why did he always space out when in this room.
 
“I-I don't know...” Sungmin trailed off as he made a quick walk to his cane on the floor. He cursed again as he felt his foot kick it across the room.
 
“Oops! I got it.” Kyuhyun announced as he watch Sungmin stumble around for the cane.
 
“No, no! I can get it!” Sungmin rushed out, falling to his knees to feel around for his cane.
 
“Just let me help you; I can get it.” Kyuhyun said a bit stubbornly, swiftly grabbing the cane. 
 
“I don't need anyone's help.” Sungmin replied, running his fingers along the ground.
 
“Sungmin.” Kyuhyun said sternly as he stepped to Sungmin's side. He was about to bend down and help the other stand, but thought better of it.
 
“Will you stand up; I have your cane.” Kyuhyun said.
 
“Give it to me!” Sungmin yelled frantically. He didn't want anyone's help! He swung his arms to the side, bumping into Kyuhyun's leg in the process.
 
“I'm...making you stand up.” Kyuhyun was going to say 'helping' but thought it wouldn't be the right word. He bent down quickly and placed his hands firmly under Sungmin's armpits and pulled the elder to his feet. 
 
“Relax.” Kyuhyun said when he felt Sungmin tense and heard him gasp. “Here,” he said as he placed the cane into Sungmin's hand. 
 
Sungmin gripped his cane, hanging his head slightly. “...Thanks...” He mumbled.
 
“Why don't you like anyone to help you?” Kyuhyun asked. He choked slightly immediately afterward: why on Earth would he ask a blind man why he doesn't want help? “I'm...I'm sorry, that was a bit rude...I know why you don't want help...”
 
Sungmin nodded his head slightly, before stepping away. He faltered for a moment as he had lost track of how close he was to the piano, bumping into the instrument as his cane was pointed in a different direction. He hissed and bent forward, pressing his palm firmly against his hip—the same hip he had hurt by slamming into one of his tables at his apartment a few days earlier.
 
“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked rushing forward and placing his hand on Sungmin's shoulder before he thought of the consequences. 
 
“I'm fine!” Sungmin winced out, shrugging Kyuhyun's hand off his shoulder. 
 
Kyuhyun huffed slightly before he responded.
 
“Why are you always like this?” Kyuhyun asked, irritation clear in his tone.
 
“Like what?” Sungmin asked, turning to face Kyuhyun, firm in his stance. 
 
“Like an anti-social jerk.” Kyuhyun deadpanned. He knew this wasn't the way to make friends, but he was so confused and irritated at how they were back to square one after they had talked and walked home together the night before.
 
Sungmin's jaw dropped. No one had ever called him out before. He wasn't exactly sure how to respond.
 
“I just want to talk with you and be friendly. I want to help you, but not baby you. There is a difference between picking up your cane for you and carrying you around you so you have to worry about walking. There is a difference between opening the door for you and not allowing you to do anything on your own. Why do you have to constantly shut me out?” 
 
Kyuhyun realized he was panting, and his eyes widened slightly—where had these emotions come from?
 
Sungmin's head hung low. If he hadn't known how to respond before, he definitely didn't know how to respond now. The worst part was the Kyuhyun was accurate, too accurate—he was right. He had called Sungmin out so accurately that it hurt. 
 
“Is it just me? Do you not want anything to do with me?” Kyuhyun asked when Sungmin wasn't responding. 
 
“No...” Sungmin mumbled as he shook his head quickly. 
 
“Then why won't you give me a chance? I have no intention of babying you, Sungmin. I mean, you live on your own and go to school on your own, you clearly don't need anyone's help; I understand. I just...I just want to help you as a friend would.” Kyuhyun vented. 
 
Sungmin remained frozen, again. 
 
“Are you willing to give me a chance?” Kyuhyun asked once Sungmin didn't respond, again.
 
Sungmin paused for a moment, but only a moment, before he nodded, his head still hung low. 
 
Kyuhyun sighed and felt a smile take over his mouth. 
 
“I'm sorry...” Sungmin mumbled under his breath.
 
“Sorry? For what?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
“For being an 'anti-social jerk.' It's just...I-I have a hard time talking to people.” Sungmin stuttered through, clutching his cane as if it could hide him if he wished. 
 
“It's okay, Sungmin. I understand.” Kyuhyun answered, pressing two fingers quickly against Sungmin's knuckle as a sign of sympathy. 
 
Sungmin grinned slightly at the touch, but pulled his hand and cane to his chest. 
 
“Do you want to walk home, now?” Kyuhyun asked, moving to grab Sungmin's backpack off the floor. 
 
Sungmin felt a bit worried as he could feel Kyuhyun moving, but couldn't tell where he was going or what he was doing; however, he relaxed when he felt his backpack strap being pushing into his free hand. 
 
“Yeah.” Sungmin said with a nod as he took his backpack from Kyuhyun.
 
“Will you let me open the door for you without snapping at me?” Kyuhyun asked, a slight chuckle made evident to clarify that he was kidding. 
 
“...I suppose...” Sungmin responded, a small grin pulling at his own lips. 
 
~
 
As the pair stepped out of the elevator in their apartment building, Kyuhyun brought up the same question he had asked the night before. 
 
“Do you want to get dinner with me tonight? If you want to, that is...” Kyuhyun asked as they got close to their doors. 
 
Sungmin felt the panic rise in his chest. If they were to sit down for dinner, the questions were sure to come. And how would Sungmin escape that scenario? He never went to restaurants around his college, he wouldn't know how to get back on his own. 
 
But Kyuhyun was right—he was an 'anti-social jerk...'
 
“I...okay.” Sungmin answered with an uncertain nod.
 
“Yeah? Are you sure? We don't have to...” Kyuhyun added when he sensed Sungmin's hesitation.
 
“No...I want to go.” Sungmin responded, a bit more certain than before. He complained about his loneliness; only he can fix it. 
 
“Great! Do you want to drop your things in your room, and I will come get you in about 15 minutes?” Kyuhyun suggested. 
 
“O-Okay.” Sungmin nodded. 
 
Both turned their backs to each other as they unlocked their doors and went into their own apartments. 
 
Kyuhyun ran around his bedroom, throwing clothes from his closet to his bed, trying to figure out what to wear. It wasn't a date, but he still felt the need to look nice. He tried on his third shirt in as many minutes, when he froze and laughed at himself. 
 
Sungmin is blind...would he really care what shirt Kyuhyun is wearing? 
 
Kyuhyun shook his head slightly before pulling on his favorite t-shirt and jeans. 
 
Six minutes later, exactly, Kyuhyun knocked on Sungmin's door. 
 
“Are you ready?” Kyuhyun asked once Sungmin opened the door. Kyuhyun could tell that Sungmin had combed his hair and had put on a button up shirt.
 
“Yeah. Um...where are we going?” Sungmin asked timidly, ringing his hands around his cane. 
 
“I...Um...I don't know...” Kyuhyun mumbled, looking to his feet. He hadn't planned this far. “We...We can go to the place that I always order delivery from. I mean, it's not that nice or fancy or anything, but it has really good food.” 
 
Sungmin nodded with a smile, he would prefer nothing fancy. “That sounds good.”
 
“After you, then.” Kyuhyun said with a grin as he placed a light hand on Sungmin's arm. Sungmin twitched at the contact, but smiled as he led the way to the elevator, his hand in contact with the wall to feel for the elevator. 
 
“What restaurants do you like to go to?” Kyuhyun asked as they waited for the elevator to land on the first floor. 
 
“I don't...I don't really eat out.” Sungmin answered, looking down and twisting his hands around his cane. 
 
Kyuhyun tried to look Sungmin in the eye with disbelief, but sighed as the elder's usual sunglasses were in the way. 
 
“You don't eat at restaurants? Not even delivery?” Kyuhyun asked, eyebrows raised.
 
“I've never found a menu in Braille before...so no.” Sungmin muttered. 
 
“Oh...” Kyuhyun responded, standing straight and facing forward. “...sorry...” 
 
“Don't apologize. It's not your fault.” Sungmin responded as he too stood straight and looked forward.
 
“You will enjoy this, then. Trust me.” Kyuhyun said excitedly as the elevator pinged on the first floor.