broken

Broken

 

“Where have you been?”  Saeri asked Baekhyun as he entered their apartment.

 

“Out” He replied, taking off his jacket and placing them on the coat hanger.

 

“It’s ing 3:04 am, who did you go out with?” Saeri asked again impatiently.

 

Baekhyun simply rolled his eyes and walked past Saeri to get a glass of water, “Who do you think? Minah of course”

 

With just a simple name like that, it made Saeri explode, “Minah? Oh god Baekhyun, every time I ask who you’re with, all I hear is ing ‘Minah’! You even go out with her more than me, and I’m your girlfriend! You don’t know how I’m feeling right now, so tired because I always wait for you to get back home!”

 

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. Never in his life had he seen Saeri explode like that by mentioning a name.

 

Gulping down the cup filled with water he had in his hand, he simply replied, “It’s not like I wanted you to stay up and wait for me” Realizing what he just said, his eyes widened, “I-I mean, I don’t mind at all but you’ll get tired!”

 

She just stared at him, “I only stay up because I ing worry about you! Okay fine, if you don’t want me to wait for you, I might as well leave!”

 

“Oh my god Saeri! You know I don’t mean that” Baekhyun said as he crossed his arms.

 

With a sigh, Saeri sat down on the couch and buried her face in her hands, “Right. I’m sorry; I’m just so frustrated right now. But you always say Minah. It’s always Minah this, Minah that, it’s not like you love her right?” Saeri slightly joked, hoping that Baekhyun would say no, but he just stood there quietly not making any movements.

 

Saeri looked up at him baffled, “You ing love her. What a surprise”

 

With that, Saeri marched right back to their room, slammed the door shut and locked it. Baekhyun just sank down on the couch and scratched his head.

 

It had probably been about 10 minutes since Saeri went back to their room and Baekhyun sensed no movement.

 

'I bet she’s sleeping’ He thought.

 

Being together for 3 years, none of the fights they had were serious. With a push of a button, Baekhyun the TV. Surfing through all the channels, he found one that he liked. He glanced back and forth from the TV to the bedroom door, just waiting if Saeri would come out.

 

It was already 3:30 amand Baekhyun was still watching. Suddenly, the door opened and out came Saeri with a suitcase. She was also dressed up, ready to go somewhere.

 

Baekhyun just stared at her, “Where are you going?”

 

“Somewhere that’s none of your business, because we’re through. It’s over Baekhyun, you can finally be with Minah” she said as she walked towards the door.

 

Baekhyun quickly grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, “What?! You- You’re kidding right? Saeri, you’re staying here okay? I’m sorry, I will never ever come back late again. Please, I love you, you know that. We’ve been together for 3 years, are you willing to throw everything away just because of this fight?”

 

Saeri pulled her wrist away, “You don’t get it do you?! You love Minah , possibly even more than me. You’ll never come back late again, but you’ll still be with Minah. You know I love you so much, I’m willing to throw everything away for the sake of your happiness” she walked up to Baekhyun and gave him the key to their apartment, “Take care. Good bye”

 

Saeri didn’t cry but she had a small sad smile on her face as she left the apartment, “I love you too Baekhyun”

 

As soon as the door closed, Baekhyun started crying.

 

3 years of a wonderful relationship, it was all gone now.

 

“I love you too”

 

-

 

Saeri was in the lobby of the hotel, signing out herself from the apartment. She looked around one last time before walking outside.

 

She wondered where to go now, maybe across the country, maybe to another city. She didn’t know. But what made it more complicated was that there were no taxis, no buses so she didn’t know how to get transport.

 

She got out her phone and scrolled down her contacts but she didn’t want to disturb them from their sleep. ‘Ugh I should’ve thought this through’  She thought and pouted.

 

“Why are you pouting Saeri?”

 

She looked up to see who said that, inside she was expecting Baekhyun but it was actually her best friend Chanyeol who she hasn’t seen for 7 months.

 

“C-Chanyeol?” she asked. He nodded.

 

“Chanyeol.. I missed you so much” she ran up to him and gave him a quick hug, “Where have you been?”

 

Chanyeol swore that his heart beat leaped once she hugged him. ‘Still the same as always huh’ He smiled.

 

All his life, he had always loved Saeri but she only looked at Chanyeol as her older brother, nothing more.

 

“You know, just stuff” he smiled. Saeri just gave a small smile and pulled away from him, “So how’d you know I was here?”

 

“I did my research, but I never thought you’d be outside, what happened?” He nudged her a bit and smiled.

 

Saeri’s smile faded and was replaced by tears, “I don’t know. He loves someone else. After 3 years… It’s gone. I can’t do anything anymore”

 

Soon, Chanyeol’s smile disappeared, “He loves someone else?”

 

Saeri slowly nodded as she wiped away her tears; “I guess it’s time to move on”

 

She sadly smiled and tugged on his arm, “Chanyeol, can I stay with you for a while until I find my own place?”

 

He looked at her sadly before nodding and guiding her to his car.

 

‘Don’t keep it in Saeri, let the tears out. I know you loved him a lot’ He thought.

 

“Chanyeol, thank you for coming here” She said before going in his car.

 

“Anything for my best friend” He said.

 

---

 

2 year later

 

Saeri stood there on the railing of the bridge, looking down at the calm water. She smiled to herself as she remembered all the memories she had with Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

 

Saeri and Chanyeol had actually broken their friendship because Chanyeol said he was going to stay overseas and had no plan on coming back to Korea, well maybe for vacations, but in other words, he was going to leave Saeri.

 

She didn’t want to believe him but the next day, he left. He left without one single word.

 

She cried for days, wishing that either Baekhyun or Chanyeol would come back. Obviously, no one did.

 

It tore her apart because she didn’t have anyone else, not even family members.

 

She took a deep breath before turning around so her back was facing the water. She didn’t understand why no one came for her. Seeing all the cars drive past like nothing made her put on a sad smile.

 

‘So no one really does care about me, I get it’  She thought.

 

Saeri closed her eyes and heard a voice, the voice that she missed for so long. But she knew it was just an illusion, of course because he was gone.

 

“Baekhyun and Chanyeol, I love you”

 

Little did she know that someone was actually calling her name, but he was too late.

 

“Saeri” He whispered as tears fell down his cheeks, “I’m sorry for leaving”

 

--

 

Baekhyun was walking across the Han River Bridge, until he spotted someone standing on the rails.

 

Never in his life, had he seen such a scene and what made him confused was that no one had helped her. She was actually facing the water but then suddenly turned around. His eyes widened and he stood there stiff and dumfounded.

 

“Isn’t that Saeri?!” As soon as he snapped out of it, he started running towards her, calling out her name hoping that she’d hear him.

 

But it was too late.

 

She let go of the railing, her back facing the gentle water. Her eyes were closed, but he could see a small smile on her face.

 

She was now free.

 

All the pain and feelings she had inside of her were gone.

 

It was finally over for her.

 

-the end-