The How To's

No Way Out

Kyu Ra woke up to her annoying alarm. She crawled out of bed to turn it off. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes before turning on the lights. Then she started waking up her sister. “Unnie, it's time to wake up. Yah, unnie, Mrs. Kim-ssi will be here soon and we both still need to take a shower.” Kyu Ra got tired of being nice and grabbed Jin Ae's ankles. She quickly dragged her unnie onto the floor with a loud thump as her reward. Jin Ae growled out profanities at her sister as she slowly got up and headed to find the bathroom. Jin Ae always took quick showers, so she showered first.

Just as Jin Ae was getting out, a knock sounded from the front door before it opened. “Annyeonghasaeyo my new maids! I have your uniforms.” Kyu Ra stayed long enough to greet Mrs. Kim before climbing into the shower. When she finally emerged from the bathroom, she saw her new maid uniform. Apparently, the seamstresses had made her new undergarments too. Kyu Ra dressed quickly so she could see herself in the mirror.

The outfit was black and white, completely made of an extremely fine linen. The under dress was all white, long sleeved with white lace wrist cuffs. The sleeve puffed out from the base of her wrist to a little passed her thumbs. The under dress ended mid-thigh and had a strip of white lace sewn into the hem. The chest part of it ended about three inches below her necklace and had the white lace at the hem. The black over dress didn't have sleeves, they were more like straps. It ended a couple inches higher than the white dress and it had a strip of the white lace sewn in the hem as well. The over dress was tied together with a corset, the lacing was white. She tied on a black bow to the middle of the white lace cuffs and tied on the thick choker necklace. The black choker was made from the same fine linen but had a strip of the white lace on the top and bottom.

Kyu Ra pulled on the thigh high white leggings and strapped on her new black flats with 1/4 inch thick black sole and black straps. She stood up and blow dried her hair quickly before pulling it all into a high pony tail. Kyu Ra fixed her outfit here and there and wondered if she should wear spandex underneath the dress. She decided that when she had the money, she would buy a pair.

Kyu Ra stepped into the living room and noticed how much of a mess it was. “What the hell?” She whispered to herself. She looked around and things stood out to her. Pizza boxes, empty bottles of various drinks, video games, and instruments were all over. But what startled her the most were the random boxers strewn everywhere. She was going to work for five men. Kyu Ra groaned in aggravation and rubbed her temples.

“Ah! Kyu Ra! We're in the kitchen,” Jin Ae announced. Kyu Ra carefully picked her way through the living room like there were landmines everywhere instead of trash. Jin Aw greeted Kyu Ra with a happy gasp and started gushing over how good she looked in the uniform. Kyu Ra then greeted Mrs. Kim warmly and thanked her for the clothes. Then she noticed Mrs. Kim was holding make-up in her hands. Another groan escaped her lips before she could stop herself.

“Calm down, Kyu Ra. I don't need to do much. I'm just going to teach you to wear the simplistic make-up. Eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. And it's required.” That shut up Kyu Ra. She sighed instead and sat in a chair to prepare for the coming torture.

Mrs. Kim taught her that she only needed to do these simple tricks because President Yang-nim required his maids to enhance their beauty. Kyu Ra learned what style of eyeliner was required and copied the look perfectly, and then applied the mascara without flaw. But she couldn't wear the lip gloss because she would mess with it all day long, so Mrs. Kim gave her a lip stain instead. It wouldn't come off without the make-up remover, so she was good.

“Alright, now I need to teach you the cleaning rules and how-to's,” Mrs. Kim cheered happily. She helped the girls clean up the massive mess in the living room, explaining where thing went. CD's here, DVD's there, video games under there. Mrs. Kim taught the girls were to grab on clothes and how to find the initials sewn into them. She also showed the girls the rooms to which the initials belonged to, but she wouldn't say their names! It was frustrating!

Mrs. Kim helped them with the dishes and explained where all the cleaning supplies were. She also showed them where the clothes hampers were, which also had the initials on them. There were four baskets: SR and DS to one, SH and YB to the next and JY had it's own. The girls also shared one that said JA and KR. Mrs. Kim showed them the other room too, which Kyu Ra claimed instantly after seeing the piano in the corner of it. Once everything was cleaned, the women finally took a break and noticed it was already 7 PM.

“Alright, it's time to show you how to use the kitchen. And I'll help you girls with the grocery list, okay?” Mrs. Kim had way too much energy after cleaning all day. Nevertheless, she showed the girls the various places where things went. She also had them help her do the dishes, to show them how to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Mrs. Kim had them clean out all the pantries and the fridge to get rid of all the expired foods. After doing so, she sat down at the large kitchen table and showed them how to make the grocery list. She also forbade them form buying more than a few things of junk food, saying their masters were constantly on a diet. She did, however, allow them one personal food item each. Kyu Ra immediately asked for a large bag of lollipops, her favorite childhood sweet besides chocolate. Jin Ae asked for large containers of blueberries.

Kyu Ra was shocked by this, “But you hate blueberries, Jin Ae.”

Jin Ae smiled at her and said, “The berries are for you. I don't need any special food.” Kyu Ra was shocked by her sister's selfless act and hugged her tightly. Blueberries were Kyu Ra's favorite food of all time.

“Alrighty then! It's settled. This is all you need to do every Friday evening. Make sure to ask the master what they want too. But only one junk food per, alright? Oh! Every time I come to check on the house, I'll judge how well you cleaned it. This can earn you up to $50 per weeknight for your shopping trips.”

She tapped her head in though for a few moments before exclaiming,” Oh! I don't know where the boys keep their clothes, so tomorrow you're going to just have to guess. And make sure to leave the laundry baskets in the entry way for when you meet the laundry maid. And keep the grocery list here,” she stuck it onto the fridge with a magnet and continued, “So you'll remember to give it to the grocery man. Alright ladies, it's 9 so I need to check on my other girls. Make some dinner and get some rest over the weekend. I'll see you Monday evening.” The girls got up and bowed to the older woman, thanking her for helping them. They bid her good night and locked the front door after she left.

They walked into the kitchen and looked around the now very clean house. “What do you want to eat, Kyu Ra?”

Kyu Ra looked around and pocked up a banana and showed it to her sister, “I'm not too hungry so I'm going to go unpack my things. If you want, I'll play you something before we go to bed.” Jin Ae smiled at her sister before nodding and heading to her own room to unpack.

Kyu Ra spent half an hour unpacking her things and organizing them in just the right way. She changed into black silk sleep shorts and a white tank top. She dropped off her uniform into her hamper and went back to her room, sinking into the piano chair.

She played a cover to a slow song from one of her favorite Kpop bands and transitioned to one of their faster songs. She played fluidly, not missing any keys and keeping with with the faster pace. Jin Ae was knocked on her door before entering and sat on the bed. Jin Ae was wearing gray sleep shorts and a pink spaghetti strap shirt. Kyu Ra greeted her before asking, “Any requests?”

Smiling, Jin Ae asked, “Could you play Shock for me?” Jin Ae was referring to the song by B2st. Kyu Rad nodded and started the song. It was a quick beat and Kyu Ra prolonged some parts that were a little too quick for her fingers. She finished the song and then played Soom by B2st. After the slower song finished, they said good night and fell asleep quickly in their beds.