The Rule Book

No Way Out
 

"Ah, good evening. I see our special guests have arrived early! Good, good. Oh, Miss Kyu Ra, I was not aware you were American." He must be the CEO. He stood behind a large black desk that looked very professional. He gave a short bow in return to the longer one performed by his guests. Kyu Ra had quickly shoved her iPod into her pocket and gave a short nod to his statement. He looked over them both, obviously critiquing them like he had done to every other person who had the 'pleasure' of meeting him. One strike for Kyu Ra.

"Miss Jin Ae, how tall are you?" Ouch, height was a touchy subject to Jin Ae. Kyu Ra covered up a shocked laugh behind a cough, the peeved look on her sister's face was priceless.

"I'm 5'4," she ground out. The CEO noticed her reluctance and half smirked at her. Jin Ae had on 3" heels to somewhat match Kyu Ra's 5'8 frame. First strike for Jin Ae. Yang Hyun Suk then looked over at Kyu Ra. She met his gaze briefly before looking at her hands. She didn't like being judged, she had gone through it enough when she was younger.

"Do you bite your nails, Miss Kyu Ra?" His voice entered her ears. She quickly hid her hands behind her back.

She nodded and said, "Neh, very bad habit." You could hear her heavy accent on the stuttered and broken sentence. At least she was being formal with the man. Kyu Ra kept her head bowed to the floor.

"Ah, so you do understand and can speak simple Korean. That's good. This will make it easier to place you than I thought." Was that the third strike or was it a good thing? "You can translate, correct, Miss Jin Ae?" Jin Ae nodded, looking the man in the eye. He smiled, one of those grins that let you know he had something planned. Kyu Ra shivered, a cold draft going down her spine.

The man motioned over a woman to his desk. She was wearing something similar to a suit, but it was more of a maid outfit. It was black and white too! Like a less feminine French Maid outfit. President Yang told her something in a low voice, she nodded her understanding and bowed to him before stepping out of the room. President Yang smoothed out his all black suit before sitting down in his plush office chair and folding his hands in front of him. "I have begun setting up your new housing arrangements."Mrs. Kim-ssi, who just left, will tell you what is required of you and how to do it. The two of you will be working in this house without any other help from others, meaning Mrs. Kim-ssi will check on the house nightly. Whether or not you can handle this assignment on your own remains to be seen. I expect nothing less than the best. No slacking, delaying, or excuses.

"Occasionally, there will be other staff in the house for a brief time. Every Saturday morning, a maid will come to pick up laundry and another will drop it back off. You two are to collect the dirty clothes and put them into the correct hamper. You then need to put them away in the correct room, in the correct places. A grocery man will come every Saturday morning to pick up a grocery list and will drop off only what is on the list. Every weekday, in the morning, stylists will come by to dress the masters of the house.

"Every weekday morning, you will wake up at 6 AM and get ready. At 8 AM, you will wake the masters for breakfast at 8:30 AM. The stylists will arrive at 9:30 AM so that is when you clean up breakfast. You have from 10 AM until 9 PM to clean the house up. At 10 PM you will make dinner for the returning masters. At 11 PM you will clean up dinner and wait for Mrs. Kim-ssi's approval before heading to bed.

"You basically have the weekends off. You're not required to do anything other than collecting and putting away clothes and restocking the food items once they arrive. The laundry maid will be at the house at 9 AM and return at noon. The grocer will arrive at 10 AM and return at noon as well. You are also required to cook breakfast at 10:30 AM and dinner at 7 PM. From 11 AM until 5 PM, you can go out of the house. Shop, eat, hang out. It doesn't matter. But this contract stays within the YG Family. And you'll see me before seeing your parents." He finally stopped speaking.

Jin Ae stumbled over her translation of such a long and extensive speech of the schedule and rules. It took her a couple minutes, but when she finished, Yang Hyun Suk glanced at his desk saying, "Did I miss anything? Oh! Mrs. Kim-ssi will leave you alone on the weekends. Is that all?" He looked at a paper and nodded to himself. "If I missed something, I can't think of it. Mrs. Kim-ssi will be waiting for you in the lobby. Feel free to explore a bit with these lovely men as your guides. Now, don't go getting into trouble. We wouldn't want something bad to happen, now would we?" That was a thinly veiled threat. 'Screw up and you're screwed.' Jin Ae translated and all five bowed to the CEO. "You're dismissed. Park Ji Sung-ssi. Stay for a bit longer. We have things to discuss."

The girls and the men quickly left the room. Kyu Ra, once the door shut, leaned against the wall and let out a long sigh. Jin Ae let out a sob and sank to her knees. "No, Jinnie, not here," Kyu Ra said softly to her sister, using the English nickname she gave her when they first met. Kyu Ra helped Jin Ae to her feet and asked one of the guards in thickly accented Korean, "Show us a piano." More of a demand than a question.

The men nodded and walked down the hall to a room near the one with the open door. The guys weren't in the entrance but laughter filtered from inside the room. The guards opened a door that said “Piano Room” on it. Kyu Ra helped her sister to a chair near the magnificent Grand Piano. One guard sat in a chair near the door and the other sat near the piano with the luggage. Kyu Ra sat at the piano and began to think of an old song her mother had taught her when she was six.

 

It started off slow, but built into a sad, faster tone. Kyu Ra closed her eyes as she heard her sister sob again, tears threatening her own eyes. Jin Ae remembered Kyu Ra always played this when she thought of her parents. It always brought her to tears by the sheer emotion in it. Kyu Ra opened her eyes to look at her crying sister, and then to the guard near her. She didn't look at the guard at the door because the man near her was in tears. Kyu Ra had to shut her eyes tight to keep her emotions from spilling over.

 

The slow, sad notes flowed out of the room to the one next door where the voices quieted down to listen. One got up to see where the foreign sound was coming from. The other four followed him across the hall to see a young American woman playing on the piano. She obviously didn't notice the tear stains on her cheeks, she had her eyes closed and her head bowed. The other girl sat not too far away with her face in her hands. The two men in the room also had some tears coming from them. But who wouldn't? The music was played so brilliantly, so sadly that the emotion just barreled into you. Slowly, the girl transitioned the sad song to a much darker piece. She played the keys fluidly, pressing on them with enough force to make the darkest tone she could. It built to a high climatic middle and faded quickly to an end.

 

The girl let her hands fall to her lap, her eyes staring at them. Anger, sadness, disbelief, shock. She clenched her hands into fists and glared at them. She then let her tears fall. Angry tears at first that turned into the tears of a lost child, sobs included. The boys decided to leave then, to allow the girl what little privacy they could in the dark room.

 

Kyu Ra wiped away her tears and got up. Jin Ae and the two men followed her out of the room. Kyu Ra continued to clench and unclench her fists all the way to the lobby, staring at them the whole time. When they reached the lobby, all four people bowed to the waiting woman. Jin Ae said softly, “Annyeong hashimnikka, Kim-seonsaeng-nim. It is nice to meet you. I'm Jin Ae and this is my younger sister Kyu Ra. You'll have to excuse her, she has only been in Korea for a few days and knows little Korean.”

 

Annyeong haseyo, Jin Ae, Kyu Ra. It is nice to meet you as well. I'm sure President Yang-nim has explained to you your schedule, so I printed a copy for you both until you memorize it. Now,” she clapped her hands together, shocking Jin Ae into pausing in her translation, but she continued quickly, “I don't want us to get off on the wrong foot, so I'm not going to be very harsh on you ladies for the first few weeks. To give you girls some time to get used to this shocking new routine.

 

“I'm going to have these men stop by your new house with your things. They'll be placed in a single room, but there are two rooms for you girls. You can decide later who has which.” She paused to shoo the men to the house before continuing. “As you ladies spent an hour with President Yang-nim, it is nearly 9 PM and we need to get you your new work uniforms. We'll get your measurements tonight and have 5 sets ready by tomorrow at 6 AM. So you can wear them for your first day on the job. The masters of your house won't be there tonight or tomorrow so that will give me some time to show you how to do everything. The masters of your house should be home Saturday evening, so that will give you girls a chance to get to know them. Do you have any questions for me?” Mrs. Kim waited for Jin Ae to finish translating.

 

Kyu Ra nodded her head and poorly said, “How many...” and she trailed off thinking of the words. She instead told Jin Ae what she wanted to ask.

 

Jin Ae nodded to Kyu Ra and asked for her, “Kyu Ra wants to know how many masters there are?” Mrs. Kim smiled and held up five fingers. Kyu Ra's eyes widened in shock but she didn't say anything else.

 

Mrs. Kim smiled again before saying, “Come with me ladies, we need to get your measurements. It'll take a few minutes, so it's best we hurry.” The girls followed behind the older woman as she directed them to a waiting car. The drive was a semi-comfortable silence for a few minutes before arriving at a very expensive and fancy seamstress shop. The shop was full of beautiful dresses and fabrics were hanging everywhere. They were greeted by a young girl who squealed in delight and ran to the back of the shop.

 

“Annyeong, Mi Yun-ssi! How are you?” Mrs. Kim greeted an older woman, around the same age as her.

 

“Annyeong, Su Yun-ssi! I'm well, and you? What brings you here so late?” Mi Yun's voice was a notch too high for Kyu Ra's ears to like, but she disregarded it.

 

“I'm good. I'm actually here to have my two newest maids measure for their uniforms. By tomorrow, as usual.” Mrs. Kim smiled nicely to Mi Yun, they were obviously old friends.

 

“Oh! Two new maids? They're gorgeous! I wish my models could look like them.” She sighed with a dreamy look on her face. She then suddenly clapped her hands together, shouting “Okay! Let's get started! Follow me!” She marched to the back room where the girls proceeded to get their measurements taker. Kyu Ra didn't like the frowns that constantly floated onto Mi Yun's face as she measured Kyu Ra.

 

It took 45 minutes for the girls to be completely finished in the shop. They bowed and left the shop feeling exhausted. Mrs. Kim noticed and decided that she would postpone their training to tomorrow. Mrs. Kim drove them to their house and gave them each a key, saying she would be at the house by 6 AM, then she drove off. The girls dragged themselves into the house and practically crawled into the room with their suitcases. Jin Ae crashed immediately on the bed while Kyu Ra set an alarm and fell asleep next to her sister.