YoonA

Fate - IN ACTION

 

______________________________________

Chapter 01

______________________________________

 

 

It was a cold and drizzly Friday night, Yoona was on her way home, driving her pink Lexus Convertible SC-430.  She was caught in a heavy traffic. Yes, heavy – just like her heart. Her father just called and informed her that he is waiting for her at home and that they have something important to discuss. And she knows what exactly it was. How she wished that she could be stuck in that traffic forever. But she knew that she could only hope. She cannot runaway from her fate. She had succeeded once… twice… but now her chances are over.

The deafening honking of the other cars’ horns behind hers snapped her back from her trance. “Crap!” She cursed and quickly stepped on the accelerator and headed to their mansion.

“Oh God, please give me enough self-control not to go against his will…” Yoona prayed before getting out of her car.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Good evening Yoona-ah.” A short, elderly woman greeted her and reached for her handbag.

“Good evening too, Nana.” Yoona lovingly greeted her back.  She was her nanny. Her name is Kang Min Hee, she was with the Ims back when the family was still living in the U.S. and even before Yoona was born. Min Hee took care of her after her mother passed away.  When Yoona was still a toddler and was learning how to speak, she cannot pronounce the word ‘Nanny’; instead, she kept on burbling ‘Nana’. Until now, she chooses to call her that.

“Do you want me to prepare your food?”

“No, thank you Nana. I already had my dinner.” Yoona answered politely. “How about Appa?”

“Oh, he had his meal already, he needed to before taking his medication. He’s waiting for you in the study room.” Her nanny informed her. This is just another reason why Yoona was always careful not to upset her father, she knew that his health condition isn’t that good, no matter how hard he kept it from her, she can feel it.

“Uh, thanks Nana. You can have your beauty rest now.” Yoona try to smile as she nanny, in an attempt to hide her anxiety but the older woman knew her too well.

“Everything will be alright my child, trust your Appa.” She said as she reached for her hand and gave it a light squeeze.

Yoona could only nod her head and hugged her nanny, seeking comfort. “Goodnight.” She released her and headed to the study room.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Yoona is now standing in front of the artfully-carved dark mahogany door of the study room. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she knocks. “Appa…”

 

“Come in Princess.” Her father called from the inside. She will never be tired of hearing his father’s calm and soothing voice. If only the news that he is going to give her is as comforting as his voice…

Yoona tried her hardest to put on her sweet smile as she twisted the knob and pushed the door open.  She saw her father sitting in the black and comfy swivel chair, a white letter enveloped was lying in front of him. His father still looks dashing despite the fact that he is already in his early fifties and having grey hairs.

“Appa…” She went to her father’s side and gave him a peck on his left cheek. “How’s your day?” She made an effort to sound cheerful and seated herself in from of him.

“Well, boring as usual. I’m an obedient appa who obeyed my princess when she told me not to exhaust myself at work.” He pouted a bit but lovingly smiled to his daughter. This is one of his father’s traits that Yoona loves so much. He is prim and very professional at work but he can be sweet and playful to her.

Yoona can’t help but smile.  Her Nana always told her that she is a perfect female version of her dad; even their pout is so similar.  “It’s for your own good Appa.”

“Says the one who drowned herself to work. Do you think I didn’t notice?” Mr. Im’s words were laced with concern.

“Appa, I’m happy with what I am doing.” Yoona defended.

“Yet, I can’t help but think that I’m depriving you of your youth.” He said forlornly.

Yoona put her right hand on top of his and rubbed it gently. “It’s not true Appa. You never deprive me of anything…instead, all you did was the opposite - you’ve provided me with everything. ” She assured comfortingly.

“Because I love you my princess… Yoona, why don’t you take a week off? You can travel abroad or be on a cruise with your friends, my treat.”

Yoona took her hands off from his father’s. She looked at him for a second or two before she reply. “Thank you appa, I appreciated your offer but there’s no need for that. I don’t want to leave you here.”

“But you are going to leave me soon.” He softly said.

“What do you mean by that Appa?” She asked in a low voice that was almost inaudible. Yoona knew what her father meant but she wanted to take a chance.

“We’ve talked about this Yoona, and I hope that you understand me…uhm…I-I’m doing this because I love you, remember that.” This was not an easy thing to do for Mr. Im Soo Man but this is the only way to make sure that her princess will be alright even if he will not be there for her anymore. He continued… “The Oks will arrive next week and we will arrange your engagement followed by the wedding the week after.” It was a close statement, not open for any argument nor objection.

His appa’s announcement wasn’t supposed to shock her anymore since she saw this coming. But it still did! Next week? She felt her body numbed. This is the news that she dreaded to hear. This was the reason why she wished to be stuck in the traffic forever. The same reason why her heart was heavy and the cause of her anxiety.  She wanted to tell her father that she opposed the idea of getting married to someone she only knew by name. Yes, they did met once, during her 18th birthday, her appa chose him to be her .  But she can’t remember his face anymore, all that she remembered was his evil smirk and how annoying he was! Her blood boiled as the memory came back to her…

 

Flashback:

 

His arms were wrapped around her tiny waist trying to get even closer to her… while her hands are on his shoulder, pushing him and trying to get her face farther as possible from his. They’re in the middle of the hall, dancing. She never wanted to dance with him but she was left without a choice when her dad asked her to. Yoona could not conceal her annoyance. She was pouting and she was looking to him as if she wanted to grill him any moment. But he isn’t one bit affected. He only smirked! Then he moved his face closer to hers and whispered…

“I’ve noticed just now that you have an overly pouty lips…did you undergo a surgery?”

His words infuriated her more. “Yah! How dare you accuse me of such thing?” She flared up.

“Whoa! Chill…I’m just asking. See, your guests’ attentions are on us now.” He said that made her looked around and true enough, all eyes were on them. Yoona blushed in shame and bowed her head twice. She decided to just hung her head low, not wanting to see his face anymore. Though, she admit that she find him damned gorgeous when she first saw him-but it doesn’t mean that she will like him.

“Hey” She heard him say but she acted like she didn’t hear him.

“Hey, is there anything interesting on the floor?” Yoona looked up. This jerk surely knows how to get her attention.

“What?” She barked.

“Do you know that your pouty lips and angry, blushing face makes you look more attractive that I wanted to kiss you?” He said smiling.

“Mwuh? Yah, don’t you dare, ert!” She tried to free herself from him but he just tightened his hold.

“You don’t want to embarrass yourself further by leaving your dear partner, do you?” His voice was dripping with confidence. “And I’m just kidding you, who would want to kiss a choding!?”

Yoona was now pissed more than ever, but he was right. She can’t just leave him there. She tightened her grip on him, her fingernails perilously dug on his shoulders.

“I. Hate. You.” She muttered through clenched teeth. She was glaring at him, contemplating on her mind whether she would grill him or fry him and feed him to Viktor- her dog, if given a chance! She didn’t realize that she was looking absorbedly at him until he spoke again.

“Really?” He asked smirking. “ You hate me yet you can’t take your eyes off me! Am I too hot? Oh  wait…is that a drool?” And he reached and wiped the invisible drool in the side of her lips. But Yoona quickly yanked his arm away and stomped robustly on his foot.

“Aww!” He winced, yet maintained his hold on her. “It hurts.”

“Ha! Good for you.” She smirked in success of her action. “Now, let go of me. The music has ended.”

He accompanied her back to her seat. “You looked very beautiful tonight, Yoona. ‘Till we meet again.” He murmured in a soft tone before he bowed and left.

Those words astounded her. “Did he just say that I am beautiful?” Yoona felt her heart beating faster than normal; her cheeks are warm. “Andawe!” Shecupped her cheeks and briskly shook her head. “Knowing what a jerk he is, I’m sure that it’s just one of his pranks.” She thought. “But why did it felt so sincere?” She was confused but at the same time happy because he was now out of her sight.

Then, her mind drifted to the mysterious gift that her father handed her. When she inquired about the sender, her appa told her that it came from someone special. She opened it after her party and found a pink card and a cd. The card says, “Happy birthday Yoona, may all your wishes come true. I hope you will like this gift…” - Yours, scribbled in a neat handwriting. "So mysterious." She thought as she bit her thumb. She then inserted the disk in her player and… a soulful voice (well, not exactly the best but what she can’t forget about it was the emotion that goes with it) filled her room and lulled her to sleep. Sadly, that wonderful voice remained faceless until now…

 

End of flashback…

 

“Yoona?... Princess…” Mr. Im was now shaking his daughter’s arm. “Did you hear me?”

“Neh, appa.” She replied mechanically.

“Good.” Mr. Im felt sad seeing her precious daughter like that. But he needed to endure it and be firm with his decision because he was sure that her daughter’s misery was only temporary, for it will be replaced with a lifetime of happiness once she will learn to love the man that he chose for her. “You may leave now, I know that you’re tired.”

Upon hearing this, Yoona stood up and gave her father a peck on his forehead. “Goodnight appa…”

“Goodnight my princess.”

Yoona headed to the door but stop midway. She turned to face her father again. “Appa…”

Mr. Im got a little nervous as he waited for her to continue. “Yes?”

“Appa… I changed my mind.” She stated.

“What? Will you go against my decision?” His father blurted out.

“Aniyo. What I meant is your offer. I’m going to grab it. I want to go on vacation for 5 days and I will bring Sooyoung.” She cleared.

“Uh, sorry. Sure, sure! I told you it will be good for you.” Mr. Im sighed in relief, because he was actually thinking and was afraid that his daughter will go against his will. If it’ll happen, if she will voice her objection, then… he cannot force her. But, he’s thankful that Yoona never did. She is such a good daughter!

“Thanks Appa. Goodnight.” She bowed and left.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

The day after, Yoona left for her 5 day vacation. Their destination? The serene island of Maldives. But, what Mr. Im doesn’t know was that his daughter had thought of a little plan. She indeed brought her friend Sooyoung; but she had also informed her boyfriend, Nickhun. They agreed to take separate flight and only met on the island. Yoona savored the 3 blissful days of freedom together with the man she loves. She set her mind to give Nickhun her everything…absolutely everything if he would ask for it! But, her Khun is such a good-hearted man. He never, ever takes advantage of her. He was even the one who set their room arrangement. Yoona will occupy a room together with Sooyoung and he will be on the next room. Nickhun is a total gentleman- this was just one of his many endearing traits that she love. How she’d wished that she could introduce him to her father…

 

*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Yoona keep on rolling and turning on her bed, she was fidgety for she know that tomorrow the Ok family will arrive. “Ok. Eww! What an ugly surname!” She said as if that’s the most despicable name in the universe. “But it will be attached to my name after a week…” She sighed in frustration. “Ahhhh!!! God, please let a miracle happen…” She was really desperate now. She got up on her bed and paced back and forth, thinking... until she spotted her phone beside the lamp shade. She grabbed it and press number 2.

 

/“Oppa, please meet me at Seoul Hotel tomorrow night.”/ 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Ta-da!!! Chapter 01 is up. How was it? Love to hear from you guys. Thanks for reading :)