In Vino Veritas

In Vino Veritas

 

Hyung. Where are you? I'm coming to get you.”

It's two in the morning in the SHINee dorm and everyone went to bed. Well, everyone except for Jonghyun. Why, you ask?

Well, because after practice, SHINee's beloved leader chose to wander off somewhere by himself, without telling anyone. At first they didn't even notice the departure of the chicken lover, but when no lame jokes were made and when no one hurt himself all the time, it dawned on them that something was missing.

Or rather, someone.

They searched the whole building for Onew: the practice rooms, the canteen (since there was chicken on today's menu), the girl group dressing rooms, the canteen again (“Maybe he's hiding under a table with his chicken so nobody takes it away from him? You know, kinda like the goblin from Lord of the Rings? 'My treasure' and everything?”), the recording studios, the canteen once more (“What if he is hiding behind the trash cans? Or maybe in the trash cans? Maybe someone threw away chicken and he wanted to save it or something?”), even the dressing rooms. But there was no sign of their clumsy leader.

That was the time they started to worry.

(“Oh my god, what if a crazy stalker kidnapped him? Or what if he got ?!”


What if he wanted to buy something in town and then got lost and now he's wandering around, hungry and helpless and alone? Oh god, what if he's crying somewhere in an alley?”

What are we gonna do? Who should be leader?”

“Isn't it obvious? Of course the second oldest should-”

“I oppose to Jonghyun being leader!”

“But-”

“Hey, let me be leader!”

“No, Taemin.”

But whyyyy?”

“Because you are too young. It's obvious that the most fabulous one should be leading this group-”

“HAHA! I'd rather have Minho as leader then!”

“Guys-”

“Yeah? Well, you can see if Minho will cook you dinner tonight!”

“Guys.”

“I am perfectly capable of cooking myself, thank you-”

“GUYS! Shouldn't we rather be worrying about Onew-hyung?”

“...you're right, Minho. Sorry.”

“...See, Key? That's why he would be leader.”

Shut up, Jonghyun. Just...shut up.”)


After that the SHINee members had been calling their hyung's phone non stop. But nobody ever answered, which made them worry even more. Why would their leader just disappear like that?

Hours of waiting passed and no sign of Onew. The members were slowly getting tired, eyes closing then snapping open again. Jonghyun took pity on them and sent them to bed, assuring them that he'd wait for the other main vocal. He also had to promise Key to kick his when he came back. Not that he hadn't been intending to do that anyway.

So that's how we ended up here. After some more hours of waiting, Jinki finally calls at two o'clock in the morning. Jonghyun can't help the huge feeling of relief washing over him.

“Hyung.”

“Jjongie-yah~!” Loud music is heard coming from the other line, making it hard for Jonghyun to understand his hyung. Furrowing his eyebrows in confusion, Jonghyun starts to speak again.

“Hyung? Where are you?”

He can hear something akin to a shuffling sound, something falling over, a silent “Oops.” and a giggle, and then finally the sound of a door falling shut and apparently shutting out the loud music too.

“Annyeong, Jjongie-yah~!” Hearing another giggle, Jonghyun widens his eyes in shock.

“Hyung, are you drunk?!”

“'Course no- OW! Sorry for running into you Mr. Poleeee.”

“Like hell you aren't! Hyung, you- GOD, are you having a conversation with the pole now?!” Jonghyun nearly screeches when he hears his useless leader asking how someone feels today and if that person also thinks that it's quite chilly outside.

“He's a far better listener than any of you ever could be!”, Jinki slurs on the other line, making Jonghyun bite his lower lip in worry.

“Hyung, where are you? I'm coming to get you.” All the while Jonghyun puts on his shoes and grabs his coat and the keys for their van, making his way to the parking lot.

“'m right here. Next to Mr. Pole.”

 

Jonghyun sighs in frustration.

“Where exactly, Jinki. Which pub, party, club, strip club, whatever, are you at?”

 

He can downright imagine his leader right now, leaning onto “Mr. Pole” for support, face scrunched up cutely, eyebrows furrowed in concentration, cheeks flushed from the alcohol and slightly pouting, what Jinki always does when thinking about something. Jonghyun can't help the smile blooming on his face.

 

I-I think it was called...err...“Nightflight” or something...”

“Gotcha.”

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:

 

The Nightflight” is one of the most popular clubs in Seoul. It was mainly known for the music they played, having a genius DJ, and for the cheap but still delicious drinks. And cheap delicious drinks mean lots of drunk people. Combine that with the music and you have a huge mass of drunk people grinding against each other. How does clumsy lovable Onew fit into that equation?

Jinki had always said that he hated clubs. Too sticky and too loud and too many people and so on and on. So Jonghyun is pretty surprised when he pulls up in front of the building, which is blinking a different color every five minutes. He sees the top of a messy light brown head, the person it belongs to seemingly having a deep conversation with someone. That person didn't even see the couple making out hardcore next to him. Gross.

Jonghyun shakes his head and gets out of the car, hood pulled into his face. He wonders how nobody recognized his leader yet. Shouldn't there be, like, hundreds of girls hanging from Jinki's arms? Jonghyun doesn't know why he flinches at the thought of Jinki with women. All he knows is that he is relieved that his leader is content with a metal pole as a date. And no, Jonghyun isn't possessive. Like, at all.

With hurried steps he makes his way to Jinki, grabbing his arm when he stands directly next to him.

“Hyung.”

Jinki turns his head to look at him with this adorable confused expression. Jonghyun is reluctant to say this, but Jinki is the epitome of cuteness when drunk. Eyes wide and glazed over, cheeks flushed a lovely red and puffed up unconsciously, lips formed into a pout and nose scrunched up out of confusion. His leader doesn't seem to recognize him, what isn't really all that surprising, since Jinki is piss drunk and Jonghyun has his hood covering most of his face.

Rolling his eyes, Jonghyun grabs Jinki's forearm and starts dragging him towards their van with Jinki flailing around to break out of his grip. But Jonghyun has always been stronger than Jinki, so after some time Jinki gives up and lets himself get dragged away, but not without shouting a goodbye to Mr. Pole.

On their way to the car, Jonghyun grows angrier and angrier. They all have been staying awake, worried to death for their leader, and what does he do? He gets himself drunk. For the first time ever, Jonghyun wants to sock Jinki in the face. Hard. But they are not allowed to get bruises, so he decides to scream at him when they were at home. He just hopes Jinki can stay awake long enough for that.

Pushing Jinki into the passenger seat, (not in a gentle way, if I may say that), he also gets in and finally pulls off his hood.

“Oh, it's you Jjongie!”, he hears the happy squeal that emerges from his hyung. He only answers with a grunt and starts the engine. During the ride it is silent, with Jonghyun glaring at the road and Jinki shooting looks at him occasionally. When they stop at a red light, Jonghyun hears Jinki swallow and take a breath. Glancing at him, he finds his leader playing with his fingers, biting his lower lip.

“A-are you mad, Jjongie?”, he can hear how Jinki strains not to slur his words, voice small and guilty. And then those beautiful brown eyes are looking directly into his, and Jonghyun nearly forgets how to breathe. Jinki's eyes aren't that glazed over from the alcohol anymore, but rather filled with worry. Jonghyun doesn't get to say anything, because the guy behind him chooses that moment to blow his horn, making the both of them jump and oh. It's green.

Jonghyun doesn't know why his throat feels so dry. He doubts he can scream at Jinki anymore. Somehow, all the anger flew away and left behind is a feeling of slight disappointment in his hyung.

 

When they pull up in front of the dorm, none of them bothers to get out. Jonghyun stares at the wheel, fingers tapping some rhythm against it. And Jinki is staring at Jonghyun. Waiting for him to say something. To scream. To punch. Something different from this silent treatment.

Yes, Jinki is still smashed. But he is not that drunk as not to feel the grave atmosphere between them.

Taking a shaking breath, Jinki tries to open the door. Which kinda doesn't want to open. Frowning, Jinki tries again and again, wiggling the handle this and that way. But the door doesn't budge.

“Jinki, what exactly are you doing to our car?”, Jonghyun deadpans, staring at Jinki. Mentioned person doesn't turn to look at him, just slurs something about the door being a and not wanting to let him out. Jonghyun sighs and drags a hand down his face.

“No, Jinki. Pull the other way. Not that other way. To the left! THE LEFT, JINKI! Come on, make the L-s with your hands- No, don't touch the-! Don't-! Jinki, I said-! ARGH, let me!”

Swiftly, Jonghyun leans over his leader and easily opens the door. Jinki smiles at him like he accomplished fighting off a dragon or something. When the leader is about to get out, he notices something holding him back. With a yelp, he falls back into the seat, looking as confused as ever. Staring down at himself, he let's out a giggle.

“Oops. Seat belt.”

Unclasping the evil device, he makes another try to get out but is stopped again, this time by a hand on his arm, yanking him back. For a moment the leader stares at the hand, like it was an offending object. Then his gaze follows the arm, connecting to a shoulder, up to Jonghyun's face. Which is looking kinda pissed.


Jinki gulps.