Ran After His Shadow

Open Your Heart!

 

 

My heart was beating so loud. Oh, I can't do this. I really can't do this, I honestly really freaked out right now. I thought I had been an acquaintance of every wall in this school. How could I not? I've been hiding behind every single wall. I felt like a stalker, jeez, followed him all day to find the right moment. What moment you asked? Err, to give him valentine chocolate, remember?

Oh god, I blushed, with just thought about it driving me crazy. Why did I agreed on Lexy's plan at the first place anyway? Arrgh, there's no turning back. I have to do it. I watched girls kept coming and coming like there was no ending. It just so weird, they were all giving him chocolates. They were better than me, prettier, smarter, everything. Hhhhhhh, eomma, eotthokhae? I looked down at my feet. He’s just too popular, too everything good.

"You can't give up! You can't give up!" Lexy's voice echoed in my head. Aissh, it was so annoying. I turned my body and walked a few steps when I saw Lexy was grinning and saying to me, "You can't give up! You can't give up!" with such a happy face. Ahh, and I thought it was only my imagination.

"What are you doing?" I stared at her.

"Cheering on you, of course." She grinned. I just kept my silence. Is she has nothing better to do than cheering on me in this kind of situation? She walked past me, peered over Kyuhyun. I just stared at her, what’s she doing? She suddenly turned to me with a weird smile. My feeling told me it wasn't going to be okay.

And of course my feeling was right. She pulled my hand and pushed me to the direction Kyuhyun was. I stumbled and almost fell on the floor. But thank god, I did not.

"_______?" I heard someone called my name. Uh-oh. I looked ahead. He. He stood there, stared at me with wondering face. Alone.

As soon as I realized it, I hid my chocolate that wrapped in baby pink plain paper with baby blue stripped ribbon on top of it behind my body. I looked back at him. Oh no, he might had seen the chocolate. What am I going to do?? No, get yourself together _____, this is your chance.

I walked towards him. My heart was beating so fast that I thought it would just explode at any moments. Three more steps and I would be right in front of him. Keep going! You can do this!

“Oppa~~~~~!” Younger freshman girls suddenly ran towards him from my right side and all I could do was stopped and stared at him. I felt like a failure. Yeah, I forgot he’s the popular guy. I kept staring at him, stood like a statue. I felt like crying. Maybe, I would never have any chance to be loved back by him. He might not the one for me, at all. I didn’t even had any chance to give valentine’s chocolate to him. What a fool.

I turned my body and walked away, held my chocolate to my chest. I only ran after his shadow, aren’t I? Nah, at least I would get to eat a chocolate. I smiled bitterly to myself.

 

***

Clock struck at four. One more hour before the bell rang. Aaaaah… I placed my chin and straightened my hand lazily on top of my table, listened to the teacher who was bubbling something about Korean warrior in ancient time. I am not interested at all.

I turned my head to my left and surprised to meet Kyuhyun’s eyes which were on me from four tables afar. But he awkwardly turned his head to the teacher who was standing in front of the board straightaway.

I crossed my hand on the table on top of the thick history handbook and buried my face in it. It might just my imagination. It might just coincidence. No need to think about it. No need to think about it. No need to think ab…

I felt Lexy’s elbow poked mine. I turned my head to her and she was mouthing something that sounded to me like, ‘Psst, the teacher is staring at you, upright your head.’ I quickly up righted my head to see what Lexy’s mouthed to me was true. The teacher was glaring at me as she bubbles the history. But I just kept my silence, act like nothing happened.

Finally after an hour of history lesson torture, the school’s bell rang. I exhaled deeply, felt like I’ve been freed from heavy weights. I should go home straightaway to watch my favorite TV show, I thought as I gathering my books. “_________, please come here for a second.” The teacher called me.

"Ah, yes."

"What were you doing Ms. Shin? Slacking off during my lesson, it's not the first time I caught you do that. Is my lesson that boring for you, huh?"

"Anyio, I am just a little bit sleepy. I am so sorry, Mrs."

"Sleepy you said? Ah right, how about you are cleaning the class today so that you won't sleepy anymore in my classes later on?"

"Ah."

"Right?"

"Yes."

"Okay then." With that she ended the conversation and walk away. Aaah, how could I be so stupid?? Aiiish, chincha why do I’m so unlucky? At least Lexy have a cleaning duty today because of her absence in cleaning duty last week, so she will stay with me. I turned to my left to found Lexy was sneaking away silently. "YAH!" I shouted at her. Other people who was on their way out of class turned at me. Ups, my voice might be too loud.

"Heheheh." Lexy grinned at me. "I really want to slee- err, I mean I have something really important to do today, so please take my place in the duty, okay? You're my best friend I love the most! Bye!" She talked without even took a breath. Before I could say anything, she hugged me and ran away.

"Lexy!!!" I yelled, but what I could do she was already gone. Aaaah, I was so unlucky today. I walked lazily to pick up the broom in front of class while bubbling about how I would miss the movie for how many times.

I turned around to found there were just me and Kyuhyun in the class. He was packing his books and all of chocolates he was given. I was so nervous that I don't know what to do. So, I wasted my time by sweeping around the class. I've given up. But no matter how long it was he still there like he was waiting for something. And a few times I caught he was stealing a sight of me.

“A-aren’t you going home?” I braved up myself to ask him. Oh no, I sounded like I was chasing him away.

“Ah, yeah. I was going to.” He answered nervously like he was doing something wrong. “Err, earlier today, when we met at the corridor. It’s like you were going to say something, but interrupted by those freshman girls. So, I was wondering if you’d like to say it now?”

“Ah, that.” What should I say??? “I-I wasn’t going to say anything.” I looked down at my feet.

“Hmm, it’s like that. Okay then.” He said as he smiled to me. But he looked a little disappointed (?) “I’ll go first. See you.” He hangs his bag over his shoulders and walked to the back door. How is this? How is this? No, no no I’ve quited. I couldn’t. Ah!

"Wait!" I yelled unconsciously. Eotokhae???

"Yes?" He looked at me with hopeful face. Right, there was no turning back _______. There was no turning back!

I put down the broom and ran to my bag. I picked up my chocolate and hid it behind my back. I walked slowly towards him. I felt my heart was so full that I couldn't breathe properly. I watched him under the red sunset light. Our shadows were getting closer and closer. I felt like I would fall to the ground because of this nervousness inside me. My mind was traveled anywhere it could be.

I stopped in front of him.

I held out my chocolate and give it to him as I stared at my feet. It would be embarrassing if he saw my red face. "Honestly, I-I've fallen for you. II-I have loved you all this time I don't know why and how. It’s all suddenly having been here in my heart. But I felt like you were so far away, beyond my reach. But now, now there's no turning back. So, here I am, telling you my feeling. P-please accept my chocolate. Please open your heart!"

He picked up my chocolate. I waited and waited, but no words were coming out of his mouth. I up righted my head to see. He stood there with a big smile on his face. W-what? Is it really funny? He might have seen the confused look on my face that he opened his mouth to say, “Alright, thank you so much! – err, I mean thanks, I appreciate it.” He looked so happy.

I just stared at him, but I just felt so happy that he accepted my chocolate. It felt like all the weights had been lifted from my shoulders. I smiled. “Okay then. See you tomorrow, _______.” He smiled and patted my head. I blushed even more. But really, I still feel weird.

He got out of the class and I heard something stumbled, so I ran to the door to see what’s wrong. But there I was watching him got up and saying something to the plastic vas he apparently was stumbled to. He then ran on the corridor and jumped at the turn.  What’s with him really? Ah molla~~~~~ I’ve been set free! I am soooooo happy! I danced around the class as I swept the floor. I laughed and sang out loud.

Ahh, there was nothing like a bad day!