END

A Prince Without His Clothes On is Hardly in Disguise
Please log in to read the full chapter

Joonmyun holds a hand to the glass, feeling the icy chill seep into his palm and fingers. His body heat isn’t enough to melt the frost on the window, instead fogging it so when he removes his hand, an outline is left behind.

The bed dips. He smiles at the feeling of deliberate steps and anticipates the soft sniffing sounds before his arm is pushed by an insistent cat. “Hey, nudje.” Tan or Ron—he’s still not sure which is which—stops rubbings its cheeks over his fingers to look at him. Its mouth opens in the quietest meow, barely making a sound at all, then drops its head again to push its face into Joonmyun’s hand.

Beside him, a lump under the blankets shifts and moves, turning and drawing the blankets off Joonmyun’s lap until he grabs them with a hand. “Morning.”

“You’re finally awake.” Minseok lifts his arms in a stretch, bringing them down so the blankets bunch under his arm pits. His cat, thrilled with more hands, moves to sit closer to him.

“I’m finally awake? Look who else is still in bed.”

“But I was up earlier. Fed the cats, washed laundry, started coffee...” A heavy aroma tempts Joonmyun, but the cool air keeps him bundled.

Joonmyun sighs. “I should go...”

“You could stay. It’s cold out.” From his recumbent position, Minseok can only see sky through the clear middle of the window. Frost frames it like delicate lace.

“I could, but I’m not one of your cats. Besides, they’ll ask questions when I’m gone too long.” They didn’t care so much before he returned, but now the palace is divided. Some people are thrilled to see him and dare to hope for change; others are content with their positions and don’t welcome threats to power.

Minseok draws both hands down the cat’s head, flattening the fur and smiling at its considerably smaller appearance. “I could take care of you.”

“You’ll support me with your millions? Say it in a different tone, and that same phrase would be a threat.”

“I like you too much for that.” Minseok grins. “And I trust you’ll be back on your own. I won’t even put a bell on you.” The actual cats don’t wear collars; they’re heavy enough to make the floorboards squeak and loyal enough to return after exploring outside.

“Without me, you don’t have much of a story.”

“I don’t have any story, without you.” Minseok looks at him a little too long, then laughs at his pushy cat and flicks its tail, and Joonmyun wonders if he’s just thinking too much.

He does need to return to the palace, though, and sits up more to look for his clothes. They’re not where he left them, instead piled neatly on a dresser. “Did you seriously fold my clothes?”

“No, I giggled the whole time.” Minseok flinches exaggeratedly when swatted and laughs.

It really is freezing outside the blankets, but Joonmyun braves and quickly ruins the neatly folded pile. A chilly thrill runs up his back and down his arms, igniting goosebumps. He hurriedly drags his pants on and shoves his feet into socks. Minseok gets up and crawls down the bed, cozily cocooned in blan

Please log in to read the full chapter