Envy

Bittersweet
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yesung belted out his lines until his lungs burned for air. He stretched his arms out towards the stage lights that always simultaneously blinded him and guided him. The stage, was this what he was always chasing? It was an addictive rush. The sensation of fulfillment and achievement. For brief moments in time he felt that this was all he really needed – just the stage and a song on his lips. But when the lights died down and he was greeted with a pair of dark brown eyes his ambitions would waver. When he pressed forward with his plans for his future, would Kyuhyun still be there? The younger student promised him as much. So Yesung pressed forward with single-minded determination, floating up to the rafters with his voice and returning to the warm embrace of a deep honey-coated voice when he landed back on earth. But he noticed Kyuhyun's smile was a little dimmer and his eyes gleamed a little darker at times and a small bit of nagging fear started to tear away at Yesung's heart. Had he pushed it too far? Should he had given Kyuhyun more of his time?

 

Unable to separate himself from his duties as choir club president for too long, Yesung came up with the perfect compromise, he persuaded Kyuhyun to join the choir. He never thought that he would come to regret such an action, but combining the two most passionate loves of his life soon shed a light on his deep rooted insecurities and it was not something that he was ready to face.

 

Kyuhyun's singing voice was just as intriguing as his speaking voice. Deep and hypnotic, warm and romantic. It sent girls swooning and it started to attract the limelight, directing it away from Yesung's tentative grasp. Yesung snorted to himself, he had always been his own worst enemy and the nagging voices in his own head never let him forget it. You didn't want to be alone so you brought him along with you. You didn't want to lose him so you made him sing. You love his voice, but you are ugly enough to be jealous and possessive. You don't want to lose out to his natural born skill nor do you want the public to notice him and steal him away from you. You are truly a pathetic human being.

 

Yesung made himself sick. He fell into a spiral of withdrawal and depression symptoms that brought on a cold that concerned Kyuhyun very much, but Yesung assured him it was nothing and ushered the freshman out of his apartment door so that he could sleep in peace. It took several days of berating himself alone in his room before Yesung could drag himself back to school with a genuine smile. Kyuhyun was amazing and he was Yesung's. Yesung should be happy about the fact. People were starting to accept Kyuhyun and he was making friends. The new development with the choir club was making his boyfriend happy and Yesung should have been happy for Kyuhyun as well.

 

Yesung exhaled and smiled brightly as he walked to school, it was a shameful thing to be jealous of his own boyfriend so much that he couldn't stomach seeing Kyuhyun perform. To be honest he loved Kyuhyun's voice, but the little green eyed monster in his pitiful heart was preventing him from enjoying it to the fullest. Determined to change, Yesung went to school with a great idea, he would propose that Kyuhyun perform a duet with him at the next choir performance. He had never had the chance to share the stage with anyone other than Jessica and while their duets were technically superb, the feeling was always flat because they were so awkward with each other. With Kyuhyun it could bring Yesung's singing skills to new heights. A new motivation to evoke some emotion in his chosen form of art. It would be the next logical step in his singing career, but things never went smoothly for Yesung – never for long anyway.

 

He had only been gone for two days and he had already been replaced. Kyuhyun was laughing and hugging another freshman boy. He felt the bile rise up in his stomach – he felt sick and dashed off campus. When Yesung finally showed up for classes the next day, Kyuhyun greeted him with warm smiles, but Yesung couldn't even look at him. He was grim faced and avoided the taller student's gaze. Kyuhyun was genuinely concerned for his boyfriend's well being, assuming that Yesung was pushing himself too hard, but when he tried to check Yesung's temperature by checking his forehead the elder boy flinched and swatted Kyuhyun'

Please log in to read the full chapter