I Can't Live Without You

I Can't Live Without You

  I stare at the table in front of me as the man sitting across determinedly questions me.

  "Now, Mr. Kim, I need to know what happened," he says in a low gruff voice.

  I bite my bottom lip and look up at the older man in front of me. I clench my trembling hands together and try my hardest to hold back the tears. the man sighs and rubs his temples, clearly stressed out by my silence.

  "Please, Mr. Kim. It's very important that I know how this was caused. Many people have been killed in this accident," he says, his voice beginning to raise.

  I turn my head as I feel tears escape my swollen eyes. I begin to bit harder on my lip and begin to taste the copper flavor of my blood.

   I can't break down now.

  I turn towards him and let out a sigh.

  Stay strong Jaejoong.

  "I don't know what it was. It looked like a wave... but it was so enormous. Could a wave really be that strong?" I ask him, with a panicked expression.

  His eyebrows furrow as if he knows something, and he quickly stands up grabbing the files in front of him.

  "Hey! You didn't answer me!" I yell to him, but he ignores me.

  "Please! I need to know!" I yell again as he walks towards the door of the small interrogation room. he opens the door and walks out. I fall to the ground and begin to heavily cry.

 

*Flashback*  

  I take a deep breath of the salty smell of the beautiful blue ocean waves as they crash against each other.

  "Pretty, huh?" I hear a deep voice ask me. I turn my head to see Yunho next to  me looking at the endless terrain of crystal waters.

  "I've never seen anything as beautiful," I say turning back to the view with a sigh.

  "I have," he says with a small smile. I turn towards him curiously, and he gives me a beautiful smile. I turn my head, my face hot, and clear my throat.

  "S-so..." I say trying to clear the awkwardness for me.

  "Jae?" Yunho calls, "How do you feel for me?"

  I turn towards him surprised, and unable to speak.

  "Is it because we're both guys?" he questions me.

  My heart pounds in my chest and I turn away.

  "What do you mean? You're a great friend and always there for me. What more can anyone ask for?" I tell him, acting as if I don't know what he's trying to say.

  "Jaejoong, you know what I mean," he says beginning to get impatient.

  I look down at my fingers and begin to play with them, my hearts still not wanting to calm down. Yunho continues to stare at me, but soon gives up. He turns his head with a sigh. I turn my head slightly to see him with his eyes closed and a pained expression.

  "Yunho..." I whisper "I'm-"

  "I have to go now," Yunho says turning and beginning to walk away.

  I begin to panic and grab his arm.

  "Please... don't go," I say tears forming in my eyes.

  Yunho pauses, then yanks his arm from my grip.

  "How can I bear to be with somebody I love, if they don't love me back? It hurts... too much," he says in a shaky voice.

  Please don't cry.

  He starts to walk away again, and I rap my arms around his waist in a hug from the back.

  "Yunho, I'm sorry. I love you... please don't leave me," I say beginning to cry into his back.

  I feel his body begin to tremble, and he turns around and raps his arms around me in a strong embrace.

  "Don't cry, Jae. It make me cry," he says trying to hold back his tears of pain I caused him.

  I put my head into his warm chest and hug him back trying to quiet my sobs.

  Then, the boat jerks harshly causing me and Yunho to fall to the ground. Screams sound around the boat putting me into another panic. Yunho helps me up and we run hand-in-hand towards the commotion.

   "What happened?" Yunho asks a passenger.

  "Something hit the boast! Now we're sinking!" he yells franticly.

  My eyes go wide and my body limp. Yunho catches me as I fall.

  "Jae!" he yells, worriedly.

  I see something forming on the horizon, but by time I notice what it is, it's too late.

  Water surround me and I try my hardest to get air. After what seem like forever, I reach the surface and gasp for air. I look around to see nothing but ocean.

  "Yunho!" I call out hoping to hear his voice or see his face appear out of the endless blue.

  "Where are you?! Yunho!!" I yell again, my salty tears and the salty ocean water mixing.

  The water sometimes goes over my head drowning me. After hours of crying and trying to stay afloat, the sound of a boat catches my attention. I try to call out as loud as I can, but the work drains me. My vision begins to blur, and the last thing I see before blacking out, are a pair of arms reaching out for me and pulling me in.

*Flashback*

  "They're called 'rouge waves'," the man tells me with a sigh. "They are giant waves with incredible force. When there is wave interference between two waves that meet up at the same point on each wave, it can cause them. Constructive interference is what it's called when the two waves meet up and make a bigger wave. If it was destructive interference, it wouldn't have happened. The rouge wave, with its deep, low trough and very high crest, is what hit the boat. It's pretty surprising that two of them hit even though you were off the coast of southeast Africa where they commonly hit."

  I stare at him confused.

  "I know it's hard to understand, but out world is a crazy place," he says, standing up. "If you have any question just call me." He walks out of the room leaving me to sit there, still confused.

  I put my head in my hands and begin to cry.

  God, how could you do this to him?

  How could you do this to me?

  The pain in my chest worsens and I bite onto my hand.

  Yunho, why?

*    *     *    *    *    *

  I stare at the picture of me and Yunho with a small smile. A single tear escapes my eyes as I put it in my pocket. I step on the small step ladder and rap the rope around my neck.

  I can't live without you.

  I kick the step ladder away from my feet and the rope immediately choke me, but I don't struggle.

  I'll be with you soon.

  As the air is taken from me, I go limp. Darkness doesn't take over me though. Light does. And so does the sweet smile of my only love.

  Jung Yunho.

  We are together again.