Red

Without You

"What a nice move, going out there without telling us your plan"

She sigh internally. Regret start building up inside her after bragging to her friend that she has enjoyed the sunset they've been telling before. She just let out a faint smile, doesn't know what excuses she should tell them. 

 

"Are you seriously going there alone last week?"  

 

She slidely nodded while showing her not so innocent smile to her friends. She just wanna let her friends know that her life is getting better nowadays. After she decided to let go of everything last week,she can feel her world started to change. She can feel that her mind at ease and her heart definitely feels lightly than ever. 

Her life started to heal again. She could finally see a light again. For the first time , that morning she woke up peacefully. No more nightmare or useless hope that haunted her at night.

Because this time she finally learn how to let go someone. Someone that was very dearly to her. Someone that she couldn't live without. Was. 

Now, she finally let go of everything. She thought untill when she want to punish herself for something that shouldn't be a problem? If that person was easy to her let go, 

 

She should be able too.

 

Even with a long time and roughly path.

 

"Eunbi !"

 

Eunbi suddenly awake from her own monologue. Her friend then slap her back softly unsatisfied, after she did not even focus to whatever her words that she spill.

"Ow! That's hurt!" 

"When will you ever stop daydreaming!?"

"I'm not daydreaming. I heard---yah ! Yerin-ah !"

She shout when she can feel Yerin's hand start pinching her arm. 

One of the thing she hate is, Yerin always use little violence when she become playful. But she actually don't mind it at all. Yerin is cheerful person. If there anyone that can make her smile, that someone is definitely Yerin. 

 

"You are! She called your name for three times already" Say another girl beside her while letting out laugh at them.

"But you deserve tho, why would you went there alone! You know both of us love that place! You should bring us too~ right Eunha?"Yerin ask. 

"of course!"

 

Eunbi let out a sigh.She know she will not able to say anything at this point to her best friends. Eunha and Yerin is her best since 15 years ago. Three of them has been inseparable wherever they go, that's why they throwing a little tantrum when Eunbi didn't bother to bring them to the place that they want to go together since long time ago.

 

..........

 

Eunbi wake up happier than ever from her sleep. It's been such a long time since she had a good night sleep. No more nightmare, no more dreaming about the person that her heart been longing for. Usually, every single night since eight years ago, Eunbi barely has a good night sleep. She's having trouble to fal sleep and always tend to having a terrible nightmares. Every single night she has to rely on a small sleeping pills that doctor has prescribed for her.

 

She look a mirror in front of her. Dark circle that stay on her face for over those miserable years finally start to faded away as she smile to her herself infront of the mirror.

 

8.30AM

 

' I'm getting late!'

 

She then rushed to go downstairs hurriedly leaving her apartment, forgetting her breakfast that she made last night. Not knowing that she would daydreaming again this morning for one good hour.

 

'what a great thing to start this beautiful day, Hwang Eunbi'

 

She fasten her pace as soon she parked her car in the parking lot. She is supposed to be in the meeting room on 9.00 this morning, yet it's already passed 9 in the morning and she found herself, running towards the emergency exit to use the staircase to reach the room earlier.

 

"Oh good morning Hwang Eunbi. I was about to call my secretary to dismiss you forever in this company, but okay. Take your time to catch your breath first." Says the CEO that already take her usual seat in the room.

 

It was that moment Eunbi know that she messed up. 

 

"I-i'm sorry Ms Kim" Eunbi reply still standing timidly in front of the room with her head down trying to catch her breath.

"Of course you should. You have exactly 1 minutes to catch your breath before you can start your presentation. You should be thankful that our client comes a little late,but I didn't expect you make them wait for you"

"I am sincerely sorry" Eunbi apologize again. 

"Then what are you waiting for?"

"H-huh?" Eunbi confused as she take a look straightly in her boss eyes. Her sweat still forming on her head and she can feel her hands start trembling a little.

"Your 1 minutes is up, start your thing now!"

She flinch at the words that was given to her , her hands still trembling but she know if she delay her time for another minutes, her boss gonna throw a fit at her and of course the doesn't want it to happen. 

 

..........

 

'what is wrong with me?'

Eunbi chugged down the cold water in one shot. She want to get mad at herself for being such a nuisance during the meeting. Everything that she prepared goes down in a blink of eyes as soon she open . 

It was a bad presentation. 

No 

It was terrible. Even a high scholler can do better than what she has been doing 2 hour ago. What made her feel worse is that one of their precious client couldn't come with an agreement and even cancelled their contract that Ms Kim been dying trying to get.

She's pretty sure that she's gonna get a hell from her boss. That face flash in her mind, sending Eunbi another goosebumps before she can hear a knock on the table from someone.

 

 

"Eunbi, boss expecting you to sit infront of her when she comeback from her lunch meeting which is in 1 minutes"

"WhAt!? Why?!"

"Are you seriously questioning the reason right now ? I will be running right now if I were you. She currently coming up from lobby 30 seconds ago" state the secretary of Ms Kim.

"!" 

Without waiting any second, Eunbi left the pantry with an empty glass still on her hand. Again for today Eunbi running towards the emergency exit, climbing the staircase for a second time. Her rational self know that she can't use the elevator right now, if she insist, today might be her last day working in that company. She know she can't afford to lose the employment there.

 

 

But for one thing, she know she kind messed up for second time again for today as soon as she rushed herself to push the door that belongs to her boss office.

 

With her freaking boss sitting casually on her chair.

 

Waiting for her. Hwang Eun- 

"Hwang Eunbi, you are late"

 

That tone enough to make Eunbi having another goosebumps. She gulp her saliva silently before stepping towards ther CEO desk. With the freaking cup still on her hand.

"Wow, without even saying any sorry to me you still have a gut to come towards me with your cup of coffee?" 

"! I-i'm sorry b-boss, let-let me just pu-put this down he-"

"And you even dare to put that cup on my desk?" 

"Yes!-no- no I mean of course n-not! I-i let m-" 

"Hwang Eunbi"

Eunbi about to step out from the room to put cup back at the pantry but cancelling her thought after heard another tone from the lady boss.

"Sit" 

"I- I think I should just stand here Ms Kim"

Her reply make the young CEO raised her eyebrow in disbelief.

"I said what?"

Eunbi can no longer resist. She then take a sit on the chair in front of the young CEO with her hand holding tightly the empty glass. She look down didn't dare to make an eye contact with her boss knowing the exactly the reason why she being summon into that room. 

 

"So, Eunbi, do you have any problem? Tell me properly"

Eunbi stunned upon hearing that unexpected tone from her boss. She pretty sure, like hundredth percent sure that she gonna get scold but she didn't expect that the woman infront of her asking her something that she did not expect at all.

"I-I-No Ms Kim. I am okay"

"THEN!? What kind of rubbish that you gave to my client this morning?!"

Nope. She definitely get a hell today.

 

"I'm sorry Ms. Kim" 

"I trust you enough to do today presentation Hwang. It was you who came up to me asking me if you can present the whole thing today! Then? What kind of rubbish is this?!" 

Eunbi can see the hardcopy of her terrible presentation flying everywhere in the room. It's not her first time getting scold by the lady boss, but it is her first time seeing the woman in front of her clearly disappointed with her together with a package tons of paper thrown onto her face. 

"I was wrong. I-i thought the-they-our client will like the idea. I am sincerely sorry Ms. Kim" 

 

A loud sigh from the boss can be heard filling up the room. She massaging her temple, taking a few moment of silence and calming herself before she can speak again. 

 

"Hwang Eunbi. People make mistake, i know that. But, this is not your first day working here. This also isn't your first time making the same mistake. I kept giving you a chance but i can't see that you want to take that chance to improve. I like you Eunbi. I like your work."

"I like your work since the first time i accept you here. But why do i feel that you never appreciate the things that given to you? Why do i feel that you never ever have an intention to work here? Now I'm asking you Eunbi, do you enjoy working in my company? "

 

At that moment, Eunbi suddenly hate herself again. She know how kind her boss towards her. She always get the chance that not everyone in the company can get. Her tears start forming in the corner of her eyes but she hold it and calm herself. 

 

"Thank you for the chance that you always gave to me boss. But.. I-I" 

"You what?" 

"To be honest I really appreciate my working time here. I really love working in your company Ms. Kim. I really do. I am really sorry that this happen" 

 

A small smile planted on Ms. Kim face as she saying

 

"I know you do. But sorry Eunbi. I don't think you can continue work here anymore" 

 

"....." 

 

"....." 

 

"Ms Kim.. I.." 

 

Eunbi couldn't continue her words. She keep cursing herself inside. She know that this moment will come but she didn't expect it will be hurt her so much. 

"Ms Kim, pleas-pleass give me a chance. I promise i will be good next time. I was just-i - my mind was just messed up-I was ju-" 

"Of course I give you chance again Hwang. I know you will improve, but not here. I'm transferring you to our new branch at South Korea. This is your last chance, take it or leave it"

 

 

'Last chance? Transfer? Back to South?!' 

 

 

Eunbi's eyes that getting blurry. She want to shout out but she holding herself to do it. Instead she start shake her head, showing that she couldn't take that last chance.

 

​​​​​​She can't. 

 

She cannot going back there. 

No. 

 

 

"Hwang Eunbi!" 

"I-I'm sorry bo-" 

"Did you even hear myself?!" 

"Yes. But boss, I'm sorry. But i can't go back there" 

"WhY?!" 

"It-it's just i can't. I'm sorry. Please let me stay here" 

"Okay then. You already give me your answer. Congratulations, tomorrow you don't need to come here anymore"

 

"Ms.Kim. Please"

 

"I don't know what kind of life you have live Eunbi. I don't know anything about you. But working with you for almost 2 years tell me one thing. You are just afraid. You doubting yourself without even trying. Embrace your life. You fall down? Get up. You cry? Wipe that tears.You get hurt? Wrap it with bandage or go seek for help. Mistake? Nobody is perfect."

 

"Life isn't easy but you shouldn't let the life lead you towards whatever path they took you. It's your life, you should be the one who take control of it. It's your life! So stand tall, be proud of yourself because you manage to be here despite whatever happened"

 

Ms Kim secretly wipe her tears. She has been meaning to tell those words to Eunbi but she never has a chance to tell it. Seeing her employee shedding tears infront of her makes her shed some too. Both of their eyes red, but none of them try to let out a words for a moment to beat the silent. 

 

"But.. Ms.Kim..how about the unseen wound inside me? How do i deal with it?" Eunbi voice crack a little when she say those words. 

"If it's about love Eunbi. I don't know"

Eunbi silently wipe her tears. She's getting ready to stand up but her boss say again. 

 

"But i know one thing that.... Heart. Our heart is made-to be broken"

Eunbi look up slowly as her eyes met the CEO eyes. 

 

 

It's red. 

Obviously look hurt. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Third chapter done yeayy!