The Price of a Puppy

The Price of Peace

Thank you so much to all readers, subscribers, and reviewers! you guys all make me so, so, so unbelievably happy and ohgosh what would life be without you ? /creys

I am super, super ecstatic after seeing EXO's MAMA MVs and stalking all day online for the Inkigayo perfs that SBS blocked. (arrrgh SBS) and I am now so happy that nothing could ruin my mood! (well except for the fans ing complaining about the lip-synching... it's not like you don't know how talented these boys are. sment wouldn't debut a boyband who couldnt sing for so stop the bashing gddmit)

Disclaimer: I do not own EXO. ;____;

This chapter is rated PG for mild violence.

~~~

Chanyeol carries in plates after plates of something the next day.

"It's a present from Prince Tao," he explains with laughter in his voice.

Xiumin scowls and lifts open the cover, only to smash it down a second later. Inside the plate were dozens of steamed dumplings, perfectly plump. He almost cringes as he opens the other lids, finding the same delicacy inside. His cheeks heat up and Xiumin buries his face in his palms, shooing the laughing Chanyeol away.

"Please throw away any other presents that Prince Tao sends," he mumbles, embarrassment still on his face.

Chanyeol grins, "But wouldn't that be rude, princess?"

"Chanyeol-ah!" Xiumin whines, laying his cheek on the wooden table and pounds softly on the surface with his fists.

That stupid Prince Tao... making fun of me again...

"Thinking of Prince Tao?"

"Mm..." Xiumin nods absentmindedly, then immediately snaps back to reality as he realizes what he had just confessed. Chanyeol's already bursting into laughter and Xiumin flushes, a rush of annoyance replacing his embarrassment.

"That's not funny, Chanyeol! Get out!!" he scolds, pushing the servant out.

Chanyeol chuckles sheepishly, bidding him farewell and strolling out the Inner Court with a wink. Xiumin sighs at his servant friend's cheekiness, and drags himself back to his room. Suddenly, he bolts right out, yelling for Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol! Come back here!! You forgot to take the dumplings with you!"

~~~

"─and wipe that smile off your face!" Xiumin pouts, receiving a cheeky grin from the ever-sunny Chanyeol.

The eunuch manages an adorable salute while juggling the plates in his arms, stumbling out of the Inner Court while trying to keep focus on the path ahead. 'It's really hard to see', he realizes, because the plates are stacked so high─ one on top of another, and Chanyeol almost has more trouble trying to keep them stacked neatly than seeing what's ahead.

He nearly misses a step down the stairs, only catching himself at the last moment and tilting his weight back. When he finally regains his balance, the eunuch breathes a sigh of relief and attempts to relax his tense shoulders.

"Coming through!" he calls out to nobody in particular, hearing the surprised squeaks of palace girls who scurry out of his path. When he turns, they hide their giddy smiles behind white sleeves, their eyes curved into pretty crescents as they chide him laughingly.

If Chanyeol were in a different situation, he would definitely have put his female-charming powers to action, but it truly was difficult to seduce ladies while juggling plates, and he really doesn't want to be scolded for breaking them.

So, he bites his lip and wobbles on.

Everything is going surprisingly smoothly, and Chanyeol almost thinks it's really too good to be true... until he swerves around the corner and catches the blur of dark hair and almond-shaped eyes. 'Have I seen him before?', is what flashes in his mind, and the stranger's eyes widen in surprise as well. It's too late though, and Chanyeol crashes front-first into the man.

... I knew it was too good to be true.

He groans when his makes contact with the ground, a dull pain spiking up his tailbone and causing him to cringe. The plates fall from his hands, clattering everywhere and the covers fall off too, exposing the white dumplings that are strewn over the ground. Cursing silently in his mind, Chanyeol quickly scrambles to his knees and lowers his forehead to the ground.

"I-I-I'm so sorry, it's really all my fault I should've looked at where I was goin..." Chanyeol rambles on, the strings of meaningless, well-rehearsed apologies flowing out of his mouth. There's silence from the stranger, and he swallows the bulge in his throat, tilting his head up just slightly to catch a glimpse of his face.

Suddenly, there's a dull kick to his cheek, and Chanyeol's head snaps up until he meets the eyes of two well-dressed men. 'They must be palace princes', Chanyeol gulps as he takes in the thick velvety band that adorns their expensive robes. His eyes flicker from one man to the other, searching for the owner of those previous almond-shaped eyes.

He doesn't find them.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" one of the princes clucks his tongue, tilting up Chanyeol's chin with the tip of his foot.

Chanyeol immediately backs away, averting his eyes to the ground and keeps silent. He quickly reaches for a fallen plate and attempts to gather the dirtied dumplings into the plate. As his fingers close around the fat stomach of a fallen dumpling, there's the sudden weight of a foot on his hand, and his fingers are trapped on the ground.

His head immediately swivels up, glaring at the offender.

"When I talk to you, you listen, you hear me?" one of the princes smirks.

Chanyeol makes an effort to free his hand, only causing it to be crushed harder by the prince's shoe. He winces, teary eyes staring up in anger at the princes who continue to mock him.

"P-p-please─"

A smirk.

"─how apologetic are you anyways?" a prince cuts him off, "C'mon now, beg for it. Tell us how much of a helpless, pathetic little servant boy you are and why we should spare your sorry little for bumping into our ge."

It's not even completely my fault! He was the one who bumped into me after all, so why is it me who's

"What? Tch, I don't believe this kid... you're clumsy and deaf?" the voice of one of the princes snaps Chanyeol back to reality and anger flares in the eunuch. He in a deep breath and attempts to act as confident as possible.

"I'm truly, sincerely apologetic in regards to the accident, but how could you claim that everything was entirely my fault? It takes two to create an accident, which means that there should be two who should both take responsibility for this."

The two princes seem taken aback, but the shock passes rather quickly as their eyes narrow. Chanyeol curses inwardly.

"So what you're saying is... this is our ge's fault?"

Yes, yes, yes!

"Th-tha-that─ I─"

The pressure of the foot is relieved for just one moment, until it comes crashing back onto Chanyeol's hand, ripping a scream from his throat. He attempts to yank his hand out from under the prince's foot, only for the prince to shift his entire weight onto the hand.

Black spots burst underneath his eyelids, and with every distinctive crunch, Chanyeol moans at the searing pain that spikes up his arm. His cheeks are stained red from pain and tears threaten to flow from under the hood of his eyelashes and Chanyeol thinks, 'just my luck to become handicapped in this way'.

"Stop."

The eunuch almost thinks he's simply hearing his own futile pleads, but the voice isn't his, he knows. It's clear and powerful, a sort of rich and melodic rumble that makes him shiver despite the burning in his cheeks. The foot on his hand tenses, and he manages to draw in a shaky breath as the pressure loosens.

"Ge, we're only punishing this trash for disrespecting you. He's one of the eighth prince's rats, we should teach him a lesson right here and now," one of the princes defends.

"Yumin's right, Baekhyun-ge. You heard what the rat said earlier, didn't you? He's got a smart mouth, this kid. How many teeth should we break?"

Chanyeol growls.

One of the princes reaches under his hat and grabs a fistful of hair, yanking him to his feet. The eunuch screams at the harsh treatment and clasps his own hands around the prince's wrist, trying to break free from his grip. Suddenly, there's a deafening crack and Chanyeol's thrown to the ground, his cheek burning. There's the metallic taste of blood in his mouth and he wipes at the corner of his lip with a finger, pulling away and seeing red.

The princes approach and Chanyeol closes his eyes, preparing for the next blow to come.

It does come.

The next blow is a swift quick to the stomach that completely knocks out his breath, leaving his body trembling and desperate for oxygen. His lungs are burning, and Chanyeol gasps, hot tears streaming from his eyes as he clutches onto his stomach. Through the blur of tears clouding his vision, the eunuch looks up to see the face of his assaulter, and his heart sinks.

Almond eyes.

He doesn't know why he feels a sense of betrayal, when he never expected the almond-shaped eyes boy to save him in the first place. Almond-eyes glares at him for longer than a moment, then jerks him up to his feet by the collar of his robe. Chanyeol gasps, losing his breath because of the brisk action and he's suddenly face-to-face with the man.

"I'll take care of him," is what Almond-eyes decides, dragging Chanyeol along as he leaves the other two princes completely speechless.

"Wa-wait, Baekhyun-ge, don't you think we should─"

"I said I would take care of this, didn't I?"

There's a few mumbled agreements and Baekhyun grabs onto Chanyeol's wrist, jerking the eunuch from his trance. Their eyes meet and Chanyeol swiftly looks away.

"W-w-wait, where are you tak─ woah!" Chanyeol doesn't have time to catch his breath before he's yanked again by Baekyhun. His grip is tight, and Chanyeol winces a bit from the pressure of his fingers, his other hand flying up to Baekhyun's wrist. The prince ignores him though, and the eunuch sighs, letting himself be pulled along.

Just my luck...

~~~

P-please slow down, will you?!

Baekhyun bursts into his room with Chanyeol gasping for breath behind him. The servants immediately look up at the commotion, their eyes flickering with uncertainty as they bow to show respect for the intimidating prince.

"P-prince!"

"Young master, is there something wr─"

"Get out," Baekhyun orders icily, and Chanyeol watches as all the servants flinch, scurrying away as quickly as possible. The door to the large room soon closes with a slide and Chanyeol feels goose bumps rise on his skin.

"Y-your hand..." he whispers, and Baekhyun distractedly glances up at him, finally releasing his grip.

Chanyeol rubs his wrist tentatively.

He's unsure of what to do as Baekhyun rummages through the cabinets and drawers, cursing under his breath while searching for something. Finally, he pulls out a wooden medicine box, setting it on a table and flopping down on a chair next to it. Baekyhun turns his head to glare at the eunuch.

"Well? Get over here!"

Chanyeol almost jumps in his skin, contemplating whether or not to run out the door that exact moment. He doesn't know what propelled him to shuffle quickly next to the prince, but he does. Baekhyun dispenses a generous amount of an antibacterial ointment on his hands, rubbing between his fingers. He then pulls out a roll of gauze followed by a handful of splints, laying it out on the surface of the table.

Finally, Baekhyun speaks.

"Your hand."

Chanyeol blinks.

"U-u-uh, no it's okay, I just─"

"Your han─"

"─ alright!" Chanyeol squeaks, ing the hurt hand towards Baekhyun. He almost catches the glimpse of a smirk before Baekhyun puts his poker face back on and focuses his attention on the eunuch's hand. Chanyeol watches in amusement as Baekhyun prods his hand, pressing surprisingly gently with the pads of his fingertips and asking if it hurt. When he presses on a swollen finger, Chanyeol flinches and Baekhyun immediately jerks back, as if about to apologize. Furrowing his eyebrows, the prince gets on with the rest of the examination.

"Three finger fractures," Baekhyun grunts, pulling back and picking out three splinters.

'Baekhyun's hands are warm,' is what registers in Chanyeol's brain as he bandages up each of his fractured fingers to a splinter. He notices the way the prince's eyebrows furrow in concentration as he performs the task, and Chanyeol thinks that he does look a little childish. Baekhyun ties a knot as he finishes the bandaging, clearing his throat and busying himself with putting away the supplies.

"Um, I just want to say uh.. th─"

"Don't misunderstand," Baekhyun cuts him off. "The reason I'm helping you is because those idiots get way too ahead of themselves sometimes. Their actions are too rash, and the accident..." a of air, "... it wasn't your fault. It was mine."

"W-wh-what, did you just─"

"Shut up. I don't even know why I'm saying this," Baekhyun mumbles angrily, "and I'm not repeating myself, idiot!"

Chanyeol narrows his eyes.

Huh, I don't believe this... this spoiled brat!

They sit together in silence and when Baekhyun's arm suddenly jerks out to his face, Chanyeol almost stares at him, horrified. He immediately shuts his eyes, preparing for the blow to come.

What the hell did I do this time? What is with you and punching people?!

Chanyeol counts to three and the blow doesn't come. Tentatively, he peeks open his eyes only to meet a flushing Baekhyun who s a handkerchief in front of his face.

"I-I wasn't going to hit you, you know..." Baekhyun mutters, embarrassment written all over his face.

He motions to Chanyeol's lip, which was bleeding red and the eunuch finally understands the prince's intentions. A grin spills onto his lips, and he laughs before wincing at the pain in his cheek. Baekhyun takes the chance to ridicule him of his stupidity, but immediately stiffens when Chanyeol leans forward.

"So you're going to help me wipe my lip, or not?" he teases, and Baekhyun flushes three shades darker.

"Idiot!" the prince hollers and throws the handkerchief on Chanyeol's face, shooting out of the room faster than Xiumin when devouring dumplings.

Chanyeol shakes his head in disbelief.

~~~

"Where is he?!"

The door to Xiumin's room slides open, and the Empress barges in, her face flushed as her eyes search the surroundings. Xiumin immediately jolts up from his bored position on the table, folding his body into a ninety degree bow while his mind attempts to comprehend what just happened. The Empress ignores him, nearly turning his room upside-down in a futile attempt to find something, or someone. Finally, she stops in front of him and Xiumin cringes at the pungent scent of her perfume.

"What are you doing just standing there like a puppet? I asked a question and I expect an answer, young woman. Now, where is he?!"

Xiumin blanches.

W-wh..who...?

"My apologies, Empress. But... who is it, that you're trying to f─"

"Zitao! You imbecile, I don't believe this, what kind of idiot has the Emperor betrothed to my son?!"

Xiumin flushes with embarrassment, bowing his head low but refusing to apologize.

Well, geesus, how would I know you were trying to find Prince Tao? Either way, it doesn't have anything to do with me, anyways. If you can't find him, what makes you think I can?

The Empress fumes at Xiumin for a brief moment, before stomping out of the room followed by her throng of servants. Xiumin remains at his spot until he hears the door close, and he lets out a huff, dragging himself to the table once again and flops onto the seat. He absentmindedly draws circles into the maroon wood, pouting slightly.

"Did I really offend Chanyeol that much? Is that why he didn't visit me once today...?" he sighs to himself. He would be lying too, if Xiumin said he didn't expect a visit from Prince Tao.

A sudden clap of lightning alerts him of the gloomy weather outside, and Xiumin abandons his place at the table, striding towards the open window. Rain was already pouring in through the open window, and Xiumin in a breath, squinting his eyes and reaching for the window with his hands.

Suddenly, something catches his eye amidst the dark atmosphere. Light from the moon seems to reflect upon the puddles of rainwater, illuminating a tall figure who stands idly in the Imperial Garden. Xiumin feels as the droplets soak into his robes, dampening the fabric, but it's only when he feels the wetness on his skin that he hurriedly shuts the window.

"W-what... was that?"

Why would anyone be standing outside in weather like this?

He shivers a little, brushing the back of his head over his forehead and drops it to the side. Xiumin fidgets a little on the spot, wondering what to do.

"I could always do nothing..." he decides, "... because I could always pretend that I didn't see that strange guy."

But... what if, he got hit by lightning?

"Idiot! What are the chances of that?" Xiumin scolds himself, knocking his forehead lightly with a small fist.

A huff.

"Whatever. It's not my problem anyways," Xiumin attempts to convince himself, flopping down on the chair beside the table and refuses to move.

But... he could get pneumonia and die. Wouldn't you feel guilty?

"Nope, nope, nope! No guilt, Xiumin, guilt is for softies! You're not a softie!"

Shame on you, dumpling-face. You'd be indirectly killing him.

Xiumin grabs an umbrella and runs out the door.

~~~

Xiumin inwardly curses himself as he nears the figure, who was definitely a man. He thinks about running back, but fleeing is for cowards, and courage is Xiumin's middle name. So, he clutches firmly to the umbrella and nears the tall man whose back was facing him, wondering exactly what he was doing in the garden at this time.

"Woof, woof!"

Xiumin's eyebrows quirk up in surprise as he hears the soft barking, and he peeks over the other side of the tall man, seeing the peek of fuzzy, dark fur under the hood of a cluster of branches. There's a paw that steps out and it's a rich, golden brown colour, under the light of the moon. Immediately, the paw withdraws and the tall man seems to stiffen.

Somehow, the man looked familiar to Xiumin. He was obviously cold, his shoulders quivering just slightly but it was still visible. Xiumin frowns at this, suddenly realizing that the man's outer robe had been draped over the branches, creating a sort of waterproof barrier for the puppy.

A small smile makes its way onto Xiumin's face, but he forces it away, and ends up creating a silly expression onto his face.

Who is this guy...?

Just as Xiumin steps up to tap the man on the shoulder, the puppy suddenly begins its barking again. Shocked, the boy stumbles back, only for the tall man to whip around as well. Xiumin nearly falls onto his , but regains his composure at the last moment and manages to retain his dignity.

"W-what, why are you─"

Xiumin blinks.

That voice, why is it so familiar, too?

He looks up and his face flushes.

Prince... Tao?!

"I-I-I- what are you doing here?!" is what Xiumin finally manages to splutter.

Tao rolls his eyes, turning his back towards him and focusing his attention back onto the puppy. Xiumin gapes, shocked at being ignored by the prince, and puffs up his cheeks. He watches as Tao bends down and offers a hand to the puppy, who seems intimidated by the prince's actions and slinks further into the bushes.

Xiumin suppresses a laugh.

However, Tao seems anything but frustrated as he withdraws the hand, crouching down and staring at the puppy. 'He's drenched', Xiumin thinks after a few minutes of watching the prince's patient movements and he almost groans when the puppy whimpers again after Tao attempts to scoop it up in his arms.

"Ugh, move over," Xiumin grumbles, pushing Tao to the side gently before crouching down himself. The prince seems surprised, and he watches intently as Xiumin smoothes his hand over the puppy's head, scratching behind his ear and under his chin and soon enough, the puppy's practically lovesick.

Xiumin pulls the puppy out from under the bushes, cradling it in his arms and stuffs it inside the opening of his robe. The puppy's head pokes out first, before getting rained upon by droplets and the adorable fuzzball ducks back into Xiumin's robes.

He catches Tao staring at him, but the moment their eyes meet, the prince looks away in supposed annoyance and stalks away. Xiumin hurriedly picks up the strewn umbrella and runs up to the prince, standing on his tiptoes and raises the umbrella over Tao's head.

It's too small for two people, and Tao needed it more.

The prince blinks, eyes widening a bit as he looks at the quivering hand that was straining to hold the umbrella high while cradling a puppy with the other.

"Give it to me," he orders briskly, snatching the umbrella from Xiumin's grip and raising it above his own head. He expects the princess to latch onto his arm under the umbrella, but when he looks to the side, Xiumin isn't there.

It's only when Tao turns that he sees Xiumin trailing behind with the puppy bundle in his arms and getting soaked by the pouring rain. His innocent, confused eyes stare at him through the haze and Tao curses under his breath, turns and closes the gap between them in two strides.

He raises the umbrella over both of their heads, hearing a soft, slight gasp from the princess. The puppy pokes his furry head out. Clearing his throat, Tao turns around and leads Xiumin along the path. The prince sneaks a peek at the princess, and something feels tight in his chest when he sees the pink-tinted cheeks and the princess' constant chewing of his bottom lip. He also realizes how careful Xiumin is to not touch him, causing his side to be completely wet, and somehow that annoyed him.

Tao drags his arms around Xiumin's side and pulls him flush against his body, clutching his waist. The princess squeaks and immediately looks up at his face, to which he responds to with a glare.

"You're getting rained on, stupid."

"Oh," Xiumin chokes out, just as the puppy nuzzles his chest, tickling him.

He bursts out in giggles, and Tao turns to stare at him.

"Erm, 'msorry," Xiumin mumbles in embarrassment.

He misses the tightening of Tao's hand around his waist.

~~~

everyone cheer for monggu! :DD