Ch.7

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hours had passed since Giselle's group departed.

 

Karina, finally asleep, hadn't been disturbed by the group's departure to bid her farewell. They chose to let her rest after a night of tears and nightmares.

 

Meanwhile, Winter remained watchful by Karina's side, foregoing sleep entirely. It's typical for the wraith to stay close to Karina, but this time, Winter kept a constant vigil, comforting her through her nightmares. Drawing upon the lessons learned while soothing the deer they had caught together, Winter gently tapped Karina's head, ceasing only once she was certain Karina had fallen asleep.

 

Karina was deeply affected by recent events.

 

The image of her father's face as he was slain continued to torment her, haunting her dreams. Even the wraith she had slain seemed to haunt her, angrily screaming at her for taking its life.

 

Winter gazed at Karina's sleeping form, their faces mere inches apart. Tilting her head, Winter carefully examined every detail of Karina's face, ensuring she was at peace.

 

Suddenly, Yuna appeared, bearing a warm cup of hot chocolate and a few packs of sweets. Instinctively, Winter shielded Karina with her body, growling at Yuna.

 

"Whoah! Whoah!" Yuna exclaimed, trying to steady her cup to prevent the hot chocolate from spilling. "I'm just here to give you some food."

 

Realizing it was only Yuna and not a threat to Karina, Winter relaxed and eyed the sweets Yuna was offering before settling back beside Karina.

 

Yuna chuckled and sat down in front of Winter and Karina. She checked on Karina, considering whether to wake her since it was nearly lunchtime, and Karina hadn't eaten breakfast. Additionally, Karina hadn't been able to eat dinner the previous night.

 

They're all concerned about her. Naturally, they understand the weight of taking a life. Yuna vividly recalls her own first experience with it.

 

They had no choice; they had to defend themselves.

 

Winter interrupted Yuna's thoughts by impatiently tugging on her jacket. Yuna apologized and opened a candy for Winter to eat. As Winter continued to eat, Yuna took it upon herself to wipe Winter's face and hands with a wet cloth, a task typically handled by Giselle or Karina, who were currently absent.

 

Yuna was puzzled when Winter didn't eat her last piece of sweet and instead gently pushed it against Karina's lips. Karina's nose scrunched slightly, but she didn't wake up.

 

"Should we wake her? She needs to eat." Yuna asked, tentatively reaching for Karina's shoulder, gauging Winter's reaction. Seeing no objection from the wraith, she gently tapped Karina.

 

Karina's eyes fluttered open, greeted by Winter's face and the scent of chocolate.

 

"Hey, sorry for waking you." Yuna said, helping Karina sit up. "But you need to eat, even just a little."

 

"I have hot chocolate?" Yuna offered.

 

"I... uh... thanks." Karina replied timidly, accepting the offer. She sipped slowly, feeling the hunger from not eating since the previous night. Yuna chuckled and stood up.

 

"I'll check if they're done preparing food. Winter already ate, so don't worry about her."

 

Karina nodded and continued drinking the warm beverage. She paused when she noticed Winter staring intently at the cup in her hand.

 

"Want some?" Karina offered. Winter scooted closer, eliciting a soft chuckle from Karina. "Here."

 

Karina wasn't sure if Winter knew how to drink hot chocolate; she had only seen Winter eat. So, when Winter clumsily tried to drink from the cup, mimicking what she had seen, Karina laughed softly. The sight surprisingly lifted her spirits a little.

 

The hot chocolate spilled onto Winter's clothes. Thankfully, it didn't burn her, but Karina felt sorry for Winter, who seemed disappointed that she couldn't drink pro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter