Ch.4

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The impending arrival of the harsh winter season casts its shadow, and Karina, ill-prepared for the impending cold, finds herself facing a more pressing concern.

 

"Please, let her go. I swear she's harmless." Karina pleads with Giselle, the driver who harbors suspicions, particularly about Winter.

 

Winter is confined to an empty library room, and it takes three members of the group to prevent Karina from reclaiming the wraith.

 

Giselle sighs, pity reflected in her eyes.

 

"We mean no harm," Giselle said. "We're doing this for everyone's safety. We don't know what your friend might do to us. She's still a wraith."

 

"It's just a few days, Karina. We'll have to observe first. Just think of it as a quarantine." Ningning adds.

 

While Karina understands, the idea of Winter alone in the dark room troubles her. She's been with Winter for a while, and the wraith has never posed a threat.

 

"Then let me be with her, at least." Karina asserts.

 

Giselle sighs again and shakes her head and said, "It's just a few days," echoing Ningning.

 

Impatience and worry assail Karina's calm demeanor. When Giselle approaches, Karina unsheathes her katana for the first time, pointing it at Giselle with trembling hands.

 

"Whoah, whoah!" Jeno exclaims, and when Karina directs her katana at him, he surrenders with his hands raised.

 

"Please... let me be with her." Karina pleads desperately. Despite explaining she has been with Winter for over a week, the group remains cautious.

 

Giselle nods in defeat. "Fine. But if we hear anything unusual, we won't have second thoughts barging in."

 

Karina calms down, tension leaving her body. She glances at Winter's door, then looks back at Giselle, handing over her katana.

 

Confused, Giselle wonders why Karina would part with her protective weapon. Reading her mind, Karina smiles. "I won't need this. Winter won't hurt me, or anyone." She emphasizes and follows Jeno to open the door.

 

The group backs down, still wary of Winter. Karina opens the door fully and, before entering, she smiles back at the group.

 

"Thank you, and sorry about that." Karina apologizes for her earlier threat.

 

Giselle smiles, placing Karina's katana aside. "We'll bring you food and water daily, and a change of clothes for you and your friend. But please understand that you'll be locked up there for a few days too."

 

Karina nods, satisfied with the conditions. Jeno hands her a flashlight, a candle, and a lighter, gesturing her to enter. Inside the room, Winter sits in a corner, hugging her knees. Karina quickly approaches, checking on her.

 

"Hey, I'm here. Were you scared?"

 

Winter takes a few minutes to react. Remembering a bar of chocolate she pocketed earlier, Karina takes it out, and the sound of the wrapper catches Winter's attention. She looks up, eagerly devouring the chocolate.

 

Karina chuckles, fixing Winter's hair. "Hungry, huh? We're staying here for a few days. I'll be with you, so don't worry."

 

"Are you still sulking?" Karina asks, but Winter remains silent, focused on her chocolate.

 

Leaving her momentarily to light the candle, Karina hears a knock on the door.

 

"Hey, we got you a futon and a blanket. Is it safe to open the door?" Lia's muffled voice asks. Karina opens the door, and Lia peeks inside.

 

"Something wrong with her?" Lia asks curiously. Karina can only guess. Smiling back at Winter, she realized something.

 

"I think she's shy. Thank you for these."

 

Lia nods, not fully understanding Winter's behavior. "We're still preparing dinner. I'll bring yours once it's done, 'kay? And about your friend..."

 

Karina anticipates Lia's thoughts about Winter eating human flesh and quickly explains what Winter likes.

 

"Can you give me the sweets in my bag? She eats chocolates."

 

Lia's eyebrows raise, shocked at what she heard. "She eats what?"

 

 

---

 

"She really is harmless! And so peculiar. Why does she behave like this?" Ningning inquired excitedly while closely examining Winter's features. Winter, seemingly shy, clung to Karina, unwilling to let go of her shirt.

 

"I have no idea." Karina replied, attempting to comfort Winter. "It's okay, they're friends." She whispered softly, patting Winter's back.

 

"When was she turned?" Yuna, a member of the group, asked curiously, drawn to Winter's odd behavior. Giselle had to intervene, stopping everyone from bombarding Winter with questions and curiosity.

 

The group let down their guard as Winter proved her harmlessness.

 

"I don't know. I met her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter