Ch.1

The Wraith And The Chocolate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the ruined city of Seoul, where life once buzzed but now stood silent and broken, Karina, a lone survivor, moved cautiously. Her mission is to scavenge for food and supplies while keeping an eye out for wraiths—twisted remnants of what people used to be—wandering about.

 

With little food and water around, Karina had to do whatever it takes to stay alive. Navigating the city alone was tough, especially when dealing with wraiths that could overwhelm and kill her.

 

Wraiths were once humans, now driven mad by grief and haunting the world. Their eyes, voids of darkness and despair, revealed the tragedy of what had turned them into madness. Two types roamed the barren world: grief wraiths, crying and sorrowful, and mad wraiths, causing chaos and attacking anyone in sight. Both shared the grim trait of eating people to survive.

 

Grief wraiths were easier to avoid and fight, feasting only on mad wraith's leftovers or deceased wraiths. The mad ones, however, gained inhuman strength and agility, posing a real threat to anyone crossing their path.

 

As Karina cautiously moved through the city, the distant howls of grief wraiths hinted that danger might be nearby. She needed to move fast to secure her meal for the day and the ones to follow.

 

"I can do this, gotta keep moving." Karina said, tightening her grip on her father's katana, a precious gift from a time before he became a wraith.

 

Her father's tragic fate haunted her. He died before her eyes, and the soldiers responsible turned into wraiths, shattering her hope of being rescued. The world turned into madness, with people going berserk one by one.

 

Yet, Karina clung to hope. The strong-willed girl believed in the existence of more survivors like her. Despite witnessing her father's death, she hadn't succumbed to the madness that had gripped humanity.

 

"Okay, now or never." Karina declared, standing up and cautiously moving while using cars as cover. The smell of gunpowder and corpses filled her nostrils, but she pressed on. It made her initially nauseous, throwing up at the smell and sight of it but she grew accustomed to it. The convenience store wasn't far from her newfound hideout after the last one became overrun with wraiths.

 

Entering the abandoned store, Karina secured the door behind her and breathed a sigh of relief. Excitement sparkled in her eyes as she discovered a trove of supplies.

 

"It's like hitting the jackpot." She grinned like a kid, oblivious to the wraith silently emerging from the dark corner of the store.

 

"I should get some sweets too, it's been a while." Karina mused, her attention fixed on the candy aisle. She packed sweets with giddy joy, disregarding the space they occupied in her bag.

 

Although the store seemed a safe haven, Karina decided against making it her new shelter, recalling a close call with raiders. She sought survivors, but not those willing to harm for selfish gains.

 

"Dang, these candies! I haven't had these for a while now." Karina exclaimed, but her excitement transformed into fear as she turned around and met a wraith face to face.

 

With no experience in confronting wraiths, only running away from them, Karina froze, sweets dropping from her arms. She felt her world col

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter