It Just Happens

Neons (Oneshot)

 

 

Neons
Myungsoo drinks his coffee, silently watching Sungjong dance.

I mean, he was hidden and all. Sungjong couldn’t exactly see him unless he turned and looked behind the small couch at the corner of the room. And Myungsoo smiles because he feels like today is perfect, and nothing will go wrong. Day 1 of Sungjong Analyzation?

He lowers his tumbler and adjusts his camera to his hands.

Sungjong is really something, he thinks. He takes the first photo.

I mean, this is complete stalker-ish—right to the tip but Myungsoo can’t stop. He likes doing these things. Watching, not really talking much and taking nice photos. A little soft music wouldn’t hurt all the while the process.

Sungjong isn’t the first person he’s turned his camera to. Sungyeol was first, but the whole thing ended too quickly.

It’s true when they say he’s a light sleeper.

Tap, tap. 

Myungsoo brings the camera to his eyes and begins to adjust again. He moves and manages to get a clear shot of Sungjong, who was now ending the dance with a roll of hips. He presses and there. IMG_002 was just created.

Myungsoo stares at the screen and it’s a good picture. Describes Sungjong; a “fierce yet y” look about his face and that s-line. Of course, of course Myungsoo breaks out a smile. He hears the track end and he looks up to see Sungjong now sitting on the floor.

He is looking at the ceiling and trying to catch his breath. Myungsoo positions and takes the picture. Another nice one.

“Hyung.”

Myungsoo freezes. Uh.

“This is really dumb.” He hears. And Myungsoo is confused because What, did Sungjong see him? Of course he did but should he get up? He should. Man, was he really this lame. Camera : Turn Off.

“What is?”

Myungsoo stops.

“You and me.”

“How?” It’s Hoya but Myungsoo can’t see because if he hadn’t seen him in the first place, there would be no way of seeing him now—not without showing himself.

“Why are you here, hyung?”

“I can’t watch you dance?” Myungsoo pokes a head out quickly and sees Hoya walking towards Sungjong.

“It’s…not that.” 

“Then what is it?” And Myungsoo quickly turns on the camera to capture them. Hoya is sitting front of Sungjong and is playing with his hands.

He intertwines their fingers and Myungsoo takes a picture of them doing that too.

“Is that all you came here for?”

“No.”

“…You came here to watch me dance?”

“Yes. No.”

There is the sound of a palm hitting the floor and Myungsoo taps his finger on his camera anticipatingly.

“I’m tired, hyung. Tired of playing this game—your game.” Sungjong gets up and Hoya follows.

“Me too,” he grabs Sungjong’s wrist.

“Let go of me—“Myungsoo positions his camera.

“Wait. I need to talk to you."

“No.“

There is a sudden movement but Myungsoo stands like he hasn't seen anything.
But he slowly lowers the camera from his eyes. There is his soft shaky breath as sees Sungjong run after a moment. Hoya stands still before following numbly and then turning off the lights.

There, in the glow of camera screen, Myungsoo lowers his eyes to see Hoya kissing Sungjong in bright clear pixels.

He doesn’t know what to feel or what to say.

When he gets up, he trips over his coffee. I mean, of course. Not being able to see in the dark and all.

He groans.

-------

Next morning is 3 P.M. for Myungsoo when he wakes up.

He rubs his eyes and sits up as Sungjong enters his room.

“Oh. Sunggyu hyung told me to wake you up.”

Myungsoo nods and says, “Good Morning.”

“It’s three in the afternoon, Hyung.” Sungjong laughs and closes the door behind him.

“You’re kidding.”

Sungjong sits next him and smiles. “Had a good sleep?”

Myungsoo sighs and then abruptly turns to Sungjong. “Yeah. Dreamt of you.”

“Hyung!”

“Kidding, kidding.”

Myungsoo reaches over for his camera underneath his bed. “Can I take a picture of you?”

“But I look horrible.” Sungjong lies down and covers his face with the sheets.

“Okay.”

Sungjong uncovers himself and smiles but it's too late. Myungsoo takes the picture and laughs when Sungjong covers his face again—mumbling things like “Why did you do that” ,"I hate this". You know.

Myungsoo smiles and puts the camera to the side. “One more.”

“Isn’t one enough?”

“Please?” Myungsoo pulls down the sheets and hovers over Sungjong. “Just one more picture?”

Sungjong glares at him but then pats his cheek. “Okay, one.”

Myungsoo quickly takes the camera and Sungjong mopes after the small flash.

“That’s all I wanted.”

Sungjong turns his face away. “You are so weird in the morning.”

“Isn’t it three?”

“Oh.”

Myungsoo looks around the room and spots the clock. 10:32 AM it says and he slowly puts his camera down then meets Sungjong’s eyes.

“‘It’s three in the afternoon, hyung?’”

“So how was this dream of me again?” Sungjong says cheekily.

--

It’s 6 in the afternoon, much later.

It’s raining and the sky is very gray. It’s cool and there are many droplets on the windows of their dorm.

Sungyeol kicks him playfully and Myungsoo lazily drags his eyes over to his.

“What.”

“...Nothing.”

Myungsoo stares at him before lazily dragging his eyes back to Sungjong and Hoya, who were both playing rock, paper scissors.

Hoya wins with a rock and Sungjong blushes.

“I. win.” Hoya grins and says, “You know what that means right?”

Sungjong is already getting up and Myungsoo raises an eyebrow. I mean, he still looks uninterested because he isn’t smiling or anything. Sungjong is quickly walking to him and of course he smiles because now he’s interested.

“Save me, hyung!” Sungjong goes behind him.

“Of what? What’s happening?”

Hoya comes over, “Who ever won would get the tickle the loser to death.”

“Death?” Sungyeol gasps.

Myungsoo deadpans and lightly pushes him. “So you won?”

Hoya nods and grins to Sungjong.

Myungsoo sighs. “Well. Sungjong, I guess this is your moment of becoming a man and I accept that--"

Sungjong hits him and Myungsoo rolls his eyes playfully. “Or not.”

It takes a minute to get Hoya above Sungjong, tickling him into a frenzy of laughter, red faces and tears.

Myungsoo watches them and laughs a little.

Sungyeol slings an arm over his shoulder. “Hey.” He says.

He looks to Sungyeol. “What.”

“Nothing.”
--

Sunggyu makes dinner and Sungjong says he isn’t hungry. He goes to his room and Hoya says the same. He follows.

“Are they sick?” Sunggyu looks over to rest. Myungsoo shrugs and continues eating.

“Maybe it’s your food?” And Woohyun is quick to dodge the punch. ("Son of a ." Sunggyu makes another motion and Woohyun continues to duck.)

Dongwoo laughs and looks over to Myungsoo and Sungyeol, “I think you should check on them.”

Sungyeol nods and gets up but stops when Myungsoo grabs him.

“I’ll do it.”

“You sure?”

Myungsoo nods and gets up as Sungyeol sits down.

He doesn’t knock; he usually doesn’t unless Sungjong was studying or something and so he comes in.

They are on Sungjong’s bed but he hides right at the door.

Hoya is whispering. “So you forgive me now?”

“Yeah…I guess. You kissed me.” 

“Because I like you.”

And Sungjong’s face makes a weird expression before laughing and Hoya starts. “What.” He says.

Sungjong turns away, covering his face.

“What is it?” Hoya grabs at his waist and pulls him close.

Myungsoo doesn’t know what the exactly feel or do. He tries to look at Sungjong again, but all he can see is Hoya’s back.

He closes the door quietly and goes back to the living room.

“How are they?” they ask.

“It’s the food,” Myungsoo says and then, after a moment: “I’m not hungry.”

(Woohyun looks at Sunggyu with a smile. "Oh I'm Sorry, Have I Said Anything Wrong?"it says.)

----

They just come back from practice and a good shower.

Myungsoo watches Sungjong and Hoya lay on the floor, talking. Sungjong’s bear is between them.

They’re talking about something, something that Myungsoo doesn’t really care about. It doesn’t interest him. He just likes looking Sungjong’s back. And the dip it makes as he lies at his side.

Myungsoo reaches for his camera but he realizes he doesn’t have it.

He sighs and looks at the two again.

--

“They left?” Sungyeol says.

Myungsoo looks at Sunggyu in mild shock. But it’s less than mild, it’s more like a Oh My God. No. No, he can’t take him away.

“Hoya managed to convince Manager-hyung that he just wanted fresh air,” Sunggyu sighs. “I’m just mad that they left us.”

“Well they are going out.” Woohyun mumbles. Sunggyu elbows him to stay quiet but it’s not like everyone doesn’t know. It’s so obvious.

It really is obvious, Myungsoo thinks. But what about him?

Sungyeol puts a (comforting) hand on his shoulder as he begins to look away.

Was he that obvious too?

--

“Did you bring anything?” Myungsoo looks through the bags Sungjong and Hoya bring in later that day.

Hoya heads to the bathroom before yelling, “Some chicken and a seedless watermelon!”

“Watermelon?” Myungsoo looks at Sungjong and the boy smiles.

“It’s in my bag here, hyung.”

Myungsoo walks over as Sungjong sighs, giving it to him. He takes the bag and Sungjong’s hand too.

Myungsoo pulls.

“What.” Sungjong asks.

“Come over here.”

“But I’m tired.”

“Please.” Myungsoo pulls again and Sungjong remains stiff. He laughs but not so loudly or widely, and begins to let go of his hand as Sungjong moves away. He then takes his hand again and pulls harder.

Everything happens kind of quickly. Like those cliche moments I'm sure you've seen, read, heard of. Whatever.

It just happens.

Sungjong falls on him and Myungsoo loses his balance. They land hard on the floor.

Myungsoo groans and Sungjong is close to his face, staring.

They stay like that for a little bit. Until Myungsoo kisses him timidly.

Another thing that just happens.

----

Myungsoo knows that he likes Sungjong. A lot.

And he knows that because today, when Hoya sat next to Sungjong as they filmed for a variety—he got up and told Hoya to move.

To everyone it looked like he was playing. Maybe to Hoya too. 

It didn’t matter though, because Hoya got up and Myungsoo sat next to Sungjong.

The boy looked at him and screamed with his eyes ‘What are you doing’. Myungsoo replied back calmly with his: ‘Nothing.

He knows he really likes Sungjong when he waited when the younger would get out the bathroom.

Myungsoo positioned his camera as he saw the door open and began taking pictures. Sungjong yelled for him to stop, blushing brightly from head to toe. He was only in a towel.

He also knows he likes Sungjong too much when he touches the boy’s cheeks as he’s eating.

Like he is right now.

“Myungsoo-hyung.” Sungjong’s mouth is full.

Hoya is watching him and Myungsoo knows it. He looks at Hoya and smiles.

--

It's late. 

“Does Sungjong hate me?” Hoya asks Sungyeol.

“What?”

“Does he hate me?”

Sungyeol scoffs at the question. “What are you thinking about?“

“Myungsoo kissed him and now he won’t get near me.”

“What.” There is nothing, nothing said for a minute. 

Hoya looks at the window in the kitchen because that’s where both of them were. In the kitchen. At 12 in the morning. “I saw them.”

“Myungsoo wouldn’t—“ Sungyeol tries to laugh then. “—He isn’t---…gay.”

Hoya smiles. “That’s what I thought.”

Sungyeol’s smile slowly drops.

Myungsoo quietly closes the door from his room and stares at nothing in the darkness.

Why are things turning out like this.
--

“Are you okay?” Sungjong taps his shoulder.

Myungsoo nods, “Tired.”

“Me too.”

They sit alone in the living room, everyone besides them and Woohyun are out for schedules. Woohyun is still sleeping.

“We should go back to sleep.” Sungjong makes a motion to get up.

But Myungsoo grabs his wrist and pulls him down to his lap. “No.”

-------

Sungjong falls asleep but Myungsoo doesn’t.

He takes out his camera and takes pictures of the boy. He looks peaceful, like sleeping is the best thing. It really is, Myungsoo thinks.

He puts his camera back in the room and then goes to lay back down with Sungjong at the couch.

He interlaces their fingers and sighs contently.

Things are nice like this.

----

When Myungsoo wakes up Sungjong is gone.

He looks around to Sungyeol and Dongwoo watching something on the TV. Sunggyu and Woohyun, he hears, are making something in the kitchen.

Hoya, he didn’t know where.

Sungjong, he also didn’t know where either.

But then there he is, coming out of his room. Hoya follows out and then hugs the boy, whispering something to his ear.

Myungsoo blinks. Why is that happening still.

Sungjong wraps an arm around Hoya’s neck and Hoya hugs him by the waist, spinning them around.

He is giggling and Hoya is laughing and Myungsoo is confused but he doesn’t show it.

Actually, he is hurt too much right now but he doesn't show it. What he's showing is his confusion.

And that's why:

“Hey.” Sungyeol plops beside him.

Myungsoo turns to him, “Hey.”

“They’re back together.”

Myungsoo doesn’t look away from Sungyeol. He doesn’t want to see them but he hears them laughing anyway.

“When did they even break up?” he asks.

“They didn’t.” Sungyeol stares at him. It's a peculiar thing. To feel like this.

Myungsoo looks at the floor.

Of course.

---

Myungsoo is crying outside.

Outside the dorm.

Sungyeol comes out and yells for him to come back in, that it’s freezing cold, that he’ll get sick ("Get back inside, come on!"). Myungsoo just gives out a watery smile and keeps on crying. He's breathing hard because he's trying to breathe and because he's holding it in all at the same. So it's hard. You know how you look like when you cry.

Not a moment later, Sungjong steps out from the dorm, to throw out the trash.

But Myungsoo doesn't know. He doesn't know Sungyeol knows either.

"Go back in. Let's talk."

"I don't want to."

"Myungsoo." 

He meets Sungyeol's eyes. 

"Get the inside."

"Not right now."
Sungyeol is hugging Myungsoo and how Myungsoo quickly hugs back, he has no idea. Maybe it was because Sungyeol looked like he was about to break apart there too. 

There is a trash bag that lands on the floor near them and Myungsoo pulls away.

Sungjong is already staring.

Myungsoo quirks a little smile at him but quickly sniffs. He can't see. 

Sungjong smiles back before picking up the trash and putting it nearer to the bins.

He goes back inside without looking back, Myungsoo notices.

----
Myungsoo deletes all of the pictures of Sungjong.

He sighs deeply and then puts his camera away.

It’s been weeks.

A knock at his door and he sees Sungyeol poke his head in.

“What’re you doing?”

“Sitting.” He smiles.

Sungyeol smiles back playfully at him. “Want to go out?”

“Out?”

“Groceries!” Sungyeol grabs his hand and Myungsoo’s heart skips. “Come on, before it gets dark and I’m really hungry.”

It’s been like this. Myungsoo developed some sort of feelings for Sungyeol along the way. Sungjong is still present there. In his heart. As cheesy as it sounds.

As Myungsoo is putting his jacket, Sungjong walks by.

He pretends he’s ignoring him until Sungyeol takes his hand and the shopping list, and there.

Off they go.

--

Whatever happened to Sungjong Analyzation?

Myungsoo is staring at his ceiling later that night.

It never existed, did it?

"I hate this." Myungsoo doesn't look away.

--

Hoya makes it official that he’s dating some other chick from some girl group.

Myungsoo is kind of shocked but then again not really.

Sungjong is quiet in the passing days and he stares at the boy. Waiting for him to act. Something.

“Do you still like me, hyung?” Sungjong meets his eyes one day.

Myungsoo doesn’t flinch. “No. I used to.”

“Oh.” Sungjong’s expression doesn’t change. “Well I still like you.”

“Okay.”

“What made you stop liking me?”

“Hoya-hyung.” Myungsoo answers quickly. It was the truth.

Sungjong now looks at him oddly. “What about him?”

“You two went out. Then you cheated on him with me.” Myungsoo sighs. “That’s it.”

“Cheated on him?-- Me and him only went out for a week.” Sungjong looks confused.

Myungsoo looks at him before laughing. “Don’t lie.”

“I’m not.”

“Sungjong.“ He looks shocked as hell because what is this bull.

“I broke up with him after you kissed me,” Sungjong’s eyes are wide. “If anything, you’re the one who cheated on me with Sungyeol-hyung."

Myungsoo gets up. You’re lying, he's practically saying.

“Why would I lie, huh?” Sungjong gets up too. “What’s the point if you don’t like me anyway!”

“I don’t know."

“Why would I be with someone who cheated on me?”

Myungsoo clicks his tongue and walks directly to Sungjong. “I never cheated on you.”

They are close and Sungjong is searching his eyes, not with hope. No. It's more of that pissed off determination that Myungsoo sees. His eyes drop to the boy's lips and already he sees Sungjong leaning a bit closer.

Hoya walks in on them and they suddenly turn to the man. 

“What’s...going on?”

“Hyung. When did we break up?” Sungjong puts his hands on his hips. He's straying away from Myungsoo. Myungsoo tries to not to bite the inside of his cheek.

They would've kissed right there.

“Like a month ago? Why?” Hoya looks at him then at Myungsoo. “We only lasted about a week.”

Myungsoo stops. What.

“Why?” he asks.

Hoya stares at him and laughs, “You’re seriously not asking that are you?”

Myungsoo nods as Sungjong huffs.

“You took Sungjong away from me.” Hoya shrugs and walks off. He still looks bitter about it. Apparently.

Myungsoo slowly looks at Sungjong to see the boy giving him a disbelieving look. “And I cheated you? Right.”

The boy stomps off and Myungsoo stares after him.

They should've kissed. 

--

“Why did you tell me Sungjong and Hoya were going out?” Myungsoo removes Sungyeol’s hands from his waist. 

Sungyeol gives him a puzzled look. “They were. Until Hoya began dating that chick.” 

“Which was when?” Bull, Myungsoo is saying,

“Last week?” Sungyeol sighs. “Why are you…asking?”

“Because Sungjong told me he likes me.”

Sungyeol sits up. “What.” 

Myungsoo bites his lip before continuing. “And it’s funny because he tells me that their relationship ended a month ago.”

“Oh you shouldn’t believe everything he says, come on—“

“Like how I shouldn’t believe you?” Myungsoo says offhandedly. Everything Sungyeol just said was bs. He should make it clear that he knows.

“What did you say?” Sungyeol gives him a scandalized look. 

“You lied to me.”

“No I didn’t.”

Myungsoo gets off the bed. “Yes. Yes you did."

They stare at each other. “So leave.”


Sungyeol stares at him helplessly but then gets up.

Before he leaves, Myungsoo sees him giving him a "I Dont Know What To Say...How Did You Even Find Out" look.

He then walks away. He doesn’t finish his sentence.

And Myungsoo guesses that says everything.

---

Sungjong’s turn of washing the dishes comes days later. Of course he doesn’t want to.

“But hyung—“

Sunggyu smiles, “Clean them well Sungjong-ah!”

“Woohyun-hyung--!”

Woohyun ruffles his hair. “Spotless, please and thank you.”

“Hoya-hyung—“

Hoya raises a finger to show that he’s on his cellphone and Sungjong grimaces. “Where is Dongwoo hyung--?”

Dongwoo comes in just then with Sungyeol at his heels.

“Where is my sweater!” Sungyeol yells.

“Ask Sunggyu-hyung! I don’t know!” Dongwoo escapes to the bathroom and locks it. Sungyeol pulls out a key from the corner of the television stand quickly and runs over to open the door.

Sungjong sighs.

But then here Myungsoo decides, oh, I'll step in now. 

“Need help?” he says. Sungjong turns quickly.
 
And yes, with a camera. 
Flash.

“Ah!” Sungjong covers his face. Myungsoo laughs as he lowers his camera and then puts it on the counter.

“Why’d you do that?” Sungjong moves away from him. “You could kill someone.”

“Do you need help?” Myungsoo asks again. But this time he doesn’t wait for a response. He puts on gloves and turns on the faucet.

Sungjong watches him before putting on his own pink gloves and shoves him playfully.

“Thanks.” He mumbles.

Myungsoo smiles and looks at him.

He doesn’t stop. Even as they’re washing the dishes.

Sungjong finally meets his eyes. “Stop.”

“I’m doing nothing wrong.” He smiles again.

Sungjong's face is the color of his gloves when Myungsoo says offhandedly, "I still have that picture saved...of you know, when your towel fell."

"What."

Day 1 of Sungjong Analyzation: Restart.
 
End